Looks like SLC will get the next MLS team.

Sean84106

Looks like Salt Lake City MAY be the city chosen for the MLS expansion.

MLS nearing expansion decision

While Chivas USA continue to keep people guessing on which city they will take root, the second city to join them in a two-club expansion of the U.S. top flight remains intriguing.

Seattle and Salt Lake City are the two cities that are bubbling to the surface, with the latter far more publicly voicing their plans. Philadelphia's 'bid' appears -- once again -- to have fallen flat, despite being mentioned by MLS commissioner Don Garber earlier in the month.

Jorge Vergara's controversial Chivas USA have three options open to them. Playing in Chicago appears to be unlikely, according to Fire general manager Peter Wilt.

While Wilt remains with a measure of hope that the Chivas expansion team will land in Chicago next season, he believes that all signs are pointing towards Chivas setting up shop in Los Angeles at the Home Depot Center.

Wilt is one of the most respected figures in the American soccer landscape, and is likely to know more than most regarding the burgeoning soap opera in progress that surrounds Jorge Vergara's new team in Major League Soccer.

Despite the Mexican's interest in the Chicago suburb of Cicero for one of his other business ventures, it has been rather evident that Los Angeles has been the number one desire destination for Vergara "from the beginning", according to the Fire GM. And in an interview with the Daily Southtown newspaper, Wilt believes Vergara will have his way in the end.

Saying that "the signals I'm getting from people I've talked to," have Chivas ending up in Los Angeles in a groundshare with the Galaxy, Wilt still believes Chicago could be a better home for the new team.

"As I've said publicly before," said Wilt, "it would be a great thing for the Chicago Fire, MLS and for (AEG) if Chivas USA came here.

"But I'm pessimistic that it's going to be in Chicago," Wilt said. "I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it. Until they announce it, it's not official. I think right now it's pretty unlikely they'll come to Chicago."

Wilt noted the financial positives a second tenant would mean for the Fire and AEG, especially when the two teams would move into a new stadium in Bridgeview come 2006.

"(I) think it'd be great to have them, I'm serious about that. People think I'm just putting on (a) stance, but I think having a second tenant that doesn't take away from our core audience isn't going to hurt us and is going to add huge revenue to the stadium."

MLS commissioner Don Garber last week said a final decision and announcement on the placement of the Chivas USA franchise was to be made by the middle of next month, along with the naming of the second expansion team that will start play next season.

Chivas -- according to one source -- had looked at an option in Houston on Thursday, but a deal worth over $10 million to share L.A.'s Home Depot Center appears to be the runaway favorite.

Meanwhile, Seattle's mention by Garber has thrown the local media, who have failed to follow up the news - mainly due to the lack of information on the subject in the city. Local billionaire Paul Allen and his First&Goal company have always looked to bring an MLS team to Seahawks Stadium, but have never seemed to get past first base with the investor/operator side of the bid.

Salt Lake City is the bookies' favorite, with a bid apparently being seen as favorable by Garber. A stadium plan in the near future is part of the bid.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=301875&cc=5901

Hm, this will be good. Very good.

smallchampccs.jpg

comavatar.gif

if the Utah team doesn't go by something ending in ZZ, i'll be shocked. And regarding Chivas USA's home, Chicago would make sense, there some Chivistas up here who'd make the trip down I-94 ^_^

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Ok someone explain to me why Chivas would look at cities that have teams already (Chicago and Los Angeles). Am I missing something here? Seattle has a gorgeous stadium, that would be a nice spot for them. Although, going to Salt Lake would give them complete exposure as they would be the only pro team in town playing until the Jazz begins again.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Is this Chivas the same as the liquor company? I find it hard to believe the SLC would want to do business with a company like that. I know not all of SLC is Mormon, but I would guess that a lot of the financial backers in SLC would be.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wait... why does the Fire GM want Chivas to be in Chicago? Wouldn't that be cutting into the Fire's market?

But if you ask me, the best place for Chivas is San Diego or South Texas (preferably El Paso or San Antonio). Places with large Mexican populations that are probably more familliar with the original Chivas to draw from.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Is this Chivas the same as the liquor company? I find it hard to believe the SLC would want to do business with a company like that. I know not all of SLC is Mormon, but I would guess that a lot of the financial backers in SLC would be.

Re-read the article, Chivas is going to decide between LA and Chicago; and the MLS is expanding to one more city.

smallchampccs.jpg

comavatar.gif

Sweet deal! I can see this being a real success for Salt Lake City, just as long as they play in Rice-Eccles!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived