The MAC Project

Fifty8_Black O

It's been a while since I've done anything concept wise and seeing Brave's NCAA concepts as well as some of the other good recent concepts has givin me the itch. I'm working with Illustrator for the first time so a lot of my work is done after taking what I start in Illustrator and finishing it off in Photoshop which I am more familiar so if you see any technical errors or have Illustrator advice or tips along the way I'd love to be able to tighten up my skills along with this series. Anyways, to the concept:

ncaa-mac.png

TEAMS

AKRON

BALL STATE

BOWLING GREEN STATE FALCONS

BUFFALO

CENTRAL MICHIGAN CHIPPEWAS

EASTERN MICHIGAN EAGLES

KENT STATE

UMASS

MIAMI

NORTHERN ILLINOIS HUSKIES

OHIO

TEMPLE

TOLEDO

WESTERN MICHIGAN

I watched a bunch of MAC football last fall (mostly because it was on practically every weeknight so I could get my mud week football fix) and I have wanted to try this for a while so I'm gonna attempt to clean up the MAC. In this hypothetical world all the MAC teams will be sporting NIKE gear and will be on the same template so no more MAC adidas, under armour or russell uniforms. My hope is to give each team an individual look based on consistency, history, originality and obviously my own personal style preferences. Each team will have the MAC logo in their team colors on the right chest of the uniform, opposite the NIKE logo. I'll try to knock out 3-4 teams a week, so around 3 weeks for the 14 teams (I'm including Temple and UMass). So without further ado here is the first team:

BOWLING GREEN STATE UNIVERSITY FALCONS

I started with BGSU because I love the color scheme and potential for design with them. I simplified the helmet logo by removing the Falcon and just using the BG. I gave them a custom shoulder and pant stripe to reflect the logotype and number font. I wanted to add a second white helmet for a white out uniform or an orange alt jersey but I wanted to keep this identity simple. I am not even sure I'm sold on the white alt pants but I'll see what you guys think.

BGSU.jpg

UPDATE #1

As always please offer some C&C if you have some constructive advice and I'm open to suggestions for who to do next, although I do have some semblance of an order in my mind. Thanks guys.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive never been a fan of brown and orange but in this case it looks good this is just me probably but i think you could have added something maybe the wing-feathers that oregon has on the sides of the jersey or on the shoulders

I thought about continuing the stripe up toward the collar and down the shoulder to look like a wing pattern but I always thought the single stripe looked better throughout the process.

The jersey stripe is to "NY Jets-Like" For my liking

It's still 10 times better than anything you've put out.

So true but ouch.

I think you should change the away shoulder numbers to white or stroke them in white. Theyre pretty vague right now. Also, I think there would be a better number font to match the logo.

spacer.png

@dsaline I agree the white numbers on the road sleeves is a solid improvement thanks. I also modified the font a little bit to look a little more like the logotype, what do you guys think is it an improvement? If not I may revert back to the old because I'm indifferent.

UPDATE #1

BG.jpg

The jersey stripe is to "NY Jets-Like" For my liking

It's still 10 times better than anything you've put out.

Oh so your a :censored: on other peoples concepts too, huh?

Please restrict conversation in here to that pertaining to my concept, thank you.

I see a problem with the home uniform because the white sleeves and detail really clash with orange pants.

I played around with a bunch of different options for the pants once I had the idea for the jersey and I'll admit I originally didn't like it too much but after a while of tinkering I think the color balance is solid from my view. I thought about making the side panel of the pant a different color with the stripe going down but I wasn't sold on that. Agree to disagree I guess is what I'm saying, although I do appreciate your comment.

@dsaline I agree the white numbers on the road sleeves is a solid improvement thanks. I also modified the font a little bit to look a little more like the logotype, what do you guys think is it an improvement? If not I may revert back to the old because I'm indifferent.

UPDATE #1

BG.jpg

I like this look for them. Especially if they keep their custom font. I would put stripes back on the helmet though. And brown trim to the white stripe on the orange pants. This ins a solid look. I almost wish my high school team could wear these.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Alright I've appreciated the comments on the BGSU uniforms and I'll continue to work on them if anyone see's a way to improve them. Now for the second team:

CENTRAL MICHIGAN CHIPPEWAS

The home is pretty tame, nothing to write home about but it looks much cleaner than their current IMO. The away features a sleeve stripe based on the logo. There is also an alt that has a yellow jersey with black features and a pant stripe that matches the sleeve stripe. C&C obviously appreciated.

CMU.jpg

CMU2.jpg

Archived