Punny Team/Stadium Names

nash61

Fans of singer Warren Zevon should have appreciated the one-time minor league team, the Werewolves of London (Ontario). Their mascot was a werewolf named "Warren Z. Vaughn".

The Allentown / Bethlehem / Easton area of Pennsylvania is represented by the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs. Too bad. I think they should initialize each of the three cities in the market and name the team the Lincolns.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Great American Ball Park ... It was quite a while before I realized it had naming rights for an insurance company.

I have always wanted the San Francisco Giants to sell their ballpark naming rights to Ralph Lauren. (I leave it to you to figure out why.)

That was what I had hoped for Citi Field since it's still in NYC.

That or "MetLife" which eventually went to the Meadowlands or Apple so we could call it "The Big Apple".

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Great American Ball Park ... It was quite a while before I realized it had naming rights for an insurance company.

I have always wanted the San Francisco Giants to sell their ballpark naming rights to Ralph Lauren. (I leave it to you to figure out why.)

That was what I had hoped for Citi Field since it's still in NYC.

That or "MetLife" which eventually went to the Meadowlands or Apple so we could call it "The Big Apple".

Or these two companies could co-sponsor the New Jersey stadium. (Think of the football tenants and their respective colors.)

ggjb.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The Anaheim Ducks play in in the building formerly known as the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim.

I was quite disappointed that when Honda took over the naming rights and it switched to Honda Center. I had really hoped they were going to go with Honda Pond, Honda Ponda, the Pond at Honda Center, or the like.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Memphis' old arena football team the Pharaohs played in the Pyramid.

The Philadelphia Freedom played in a 90s version of the United Soccer Leagues, and the Freedoms play in World Team Tennis.

St. Louis Community College teams are known as the St. Louis Archers.

A favorite chant of Austin Peay State University is "Let's go Peay!"

The Saginaw Spirit have a mascot named Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle.

The Philadelphia Wells-Fargo Center used to be known as First Union Center, or FU Center.

I'm not sure if the First Niagara Center in Buffalo is known as the F'N Center.

The Cavaliers arena opened as Gund arena, which to some sounds like a VD if you say it all together and make the D silent.

When the Grizzlies and Hornets looked to move in the late 90s/early 00s, Louisville proposed a new arena then which might have been known as the KFC Bucket.

The Memphis Grizzlies wanted to change their name to Express as part of a sponsorship with FedEx but the NBA said no.

Indiana U.-Purdue U. Indianapolis (IUPUI) is often known as ooey-pooey

Enron field was known as Honron field when it first opened due to the number of home runs.

Comerica was known as Comerica National Park until the walls were moved in.

The New Hampshire Fisher Cats were originally going to be the New Hampshire Primaries and have a donkey and elephant as their logos.

St. Louis Game Time, a Blues blog, refers to the Scottrade Center as the DrinkScotch Center.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The Anaheim Ducks play in in the building formerly known as the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim.

I was quite disappointed that when Honda took over the naming rights and it switched to Honda Center. I had really hoped they were going to go with Honda Pond, Honda Ponda, the Pond at Honda Center, or the like.

The Honda Center's nickname is the Ponda now, isn't it?

I don't know a soul that calls it that.

I still call it the Pond.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Now I know where I heard that. On the Anaheim Calling blog. I was there one night researching the Ducks when they played the Blues.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I've heard people call it the Ponda, but most call it the Pond or Honda Center.

A favorite chant of Austin Peay State University is "Let's go Peay!"

I have heard reports that during the years when the school's all-time scoring leader James "Fly" Williams was there, the chant was amended to "Fly is open, Let's go Peay!"

CK3ZP8E.jpg

It's even better when you consider who the arena sponsor was. It all worked so well together :D

Sometimes I feel like the Honda sponsoring is a bit forced, I've lost count of how many times "Here at Honda Center" is repeated during Ducks broadcasts. Or do a lot of other team broadcasts do that as well?

I've heard people call it the Ponda, but most call it the Pond or Honda Center.

It's still the Pond to me, I thought Ponda was more of an internet thing.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Blues broadcasts do that a lot. They often refer to Scottrade Center as just Scottrade, which I find annoying.

RIP Demitra #38

Blues broadcasts do that a lot. They often refer to Scottrade Center as just Scottrade, which I find annoying.

The only time I find this appropriate is when the stadium is named after a person. We have that a lot here in Hamilton, The Bulldogs play at "Copps" (Coliseum), the Ti-Cats play at "Ivor Wynne" (Stadium), and the Cardinals play at "Bernie Arbour" (Stadium). Similar to their NHL brethren who play at "The Joe" (Louis Arena), the Red Wings play at "The Dave" (Andreychuk Mountain Arena).

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Before moving to Manitoba, the then-IHL Minnesota Moose had a mascot named Mick E. Moose.

The St. Paul Saints' mascot is a pig named Mudonna.

And about 20 years ago, the town of Ismay, Montana briefly changed its name to Joe. (At least it wasn't Hannah.)

CCSLC signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

The ECHL's SF Bulls play in the Cow Palace

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Surprised no one mentioned the Rhode Island School of Design and the school?s basketball team the Balls, with the slogan, ?When the heat is on, the Balls stick together.?

The hockey team is called the Nads, and their cheer is ?Go Nads!? Their cheerleaders are known as the ?Jockstraps? (think about it...).

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

Archived