Passing of a Legend

axl007

-Painter and sketch artist LeRoy Neiman, best known for evoking the kinetic energy of the world's biggest sporting and leisure events with bright quick strokes, died Wednesday at age 91. Neiman's paintings, many executed in household enamel paints that allowed him his fast-moving strokes, are an explosion in reds, blues, pinks, greens and yellows of pure kinetic energy.

It was the essence of a basketball or football game, swim meet or cycling event that captured his imagination most. "For an artist, watching a (Joe) Namath throw a football or a Willie Mays hit a baseball is an experience far more overpowering than painting a beautiful woman or leading political figure," Neiman said in 1972. Neiman was a World War II veteran who participated in the invasion of Normandy and fought in the Battle of the Bulge.

"I just love what I do," Neiman told the AP. "I love the passion you go through while you're creating" and the public's "very thoughtful and careful studied and emotional reaction of what you're doing."

If you do not know his work please look him up-AXL

joe-namath-by-leroy-neiman_r640x453.jpg?c9f6f7c2167372918b42622c875fdab25859e137Muhammad%20Ali%20Athlete%20of%20the%20Century.jpgOBRAS_DE_LEROY_NEIMAN_03.jpg2012_6_21_neiman6.jpg

CLHEL2.png

I heard about this on Thursday. He was a large part of my life, but I am closer to 40 than the vast majority of posters. His art was the "sports art" that I grew up with and was even on numerous prints/serigraphs you could buy. He was also the official painter to the IOC for decades.

He lost it in the 1990's and I remember when when the US picked Peter Max for the World Cup art over him. Not that his career needed it, but that was when he really became less of a figure.

I love his work, and have seen plenty of it. Sorry to see the artist as passed.

BTW, how did you get the big head players on your sig. I'd like to find some of those for mine.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The final freeze frame scene at the end of rocky ||| is what I always think of, but his work is really really amazing and evokes so much movement and emotion. It's exactly the type of pop-art I like, big bold lots of energy bright colors, and then combining that with sports is just a perfect blend.

I believe he also appeared in a few of the rocky movies as the fight announcer.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Great thread in memory of one of the true greats.

I always liked the Neiman prints that lined the walls of a barber shop I frequented for quite a few years... ones like this really impressed me. I'd never get tired of looking at them:

Sailing.jpg

He did a pretty wide range of sports and leisure pursuits beyond the typical North American team sports... Neiman really knew how to bring out the colour and movement in those scenes.

The final freeze frame scene at the end of rocky ||| is what I always think of, but his work is really really amazing and evokes so much movement and emotion. It's exactly the type of pop-art I like, big bold lots of energy bright colors, and then combining that with sports is just a perfect blend.

I believe he also appeared in a few of the rocky movies as the fight announcer.

He was the ring announcer when The Italian Stallion met the ultimate male Thunderlips.

And if there was a better artist at capturing sports than LeRoy Nieman I cant think of one. Nieman and his unique style really was iconic.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived