Podcast Topics?

mania

on Brandiose's work all looking the same, it all looks the same because it comes from the same place. the same designers. i think Brandiose is made up of 2 guys and they're not making simple icons, their logos are illustrations. every artist has his style and habits, and when you do a lot of the same kind of work, your lines, proportions, light/shadow techniques, shapes will all show. but they really show in complex logos like theirs.

its not an intentional thing on their side, where they want their work to look like it came from them. they draw how they draw and over time they will change, but its a slow progress so expecting them to do a logo like Josh Smith (Hydro74) for 1 team and 1 like Fraser Davidson for another isnt realistic. i think they get a lot of their work in the minors because they have built a relationship there with people and teams are seeking them out because they want their style. its part relationships and part portfolio.

but this is something every artist/designer faces from the outside world. "as an artist you're expected to make each successive piece uniquely new and different, yet reassuringly familiar when set along side your earlier work." - Art & Fear

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on Brandiose's work all looking the same, it all looks the same because it comes from the same place. the same designers. i think Brandiose is made up of 2 guys and they're not making simple icons, their logos are illustrations. every artist has his style and habits, and when you do a lot of the same kind of work, your lines, proportions, light/shadow techniques, shapes will all show. but they really show in complex logos like theirs.

its not an intentional thing on their side, where they want their work to look like it came from them. they draw how they draw and over time they will change, but its a slow progress so expecting them to do a logo like Josh Smith (Hydro74) for 1 team and 1 like Fraser Davidson for another isnt realistic. i think they get a lot of their work in the minors because they have built a relationship there with people and teams are seeking them out because they want their style. its part relationships and part portfolio.

but this is something every artist/designer faces from the outside world. "as an artist you're expected to make each successive piece uniquely new and different, yet reassuringly familiar when set along side your earlier work." - Art & Fear

Fair enough. That said, it wasn't obvious that these two came from the same company.

tumblr_meb3w3W0WF1rb84soo1_1280.pngtumblr_meb3w3W0WF1rb84soo5_1280.png

Someone over there knows how to create something that doesn't look like all the others. And for the record, I never said their work was bad. I just think a lot of their logos look like they're all part of the same universe of characters. It's just my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

Fair enough. That said, it wasn't obvious that these two came from the same company.

tumblr_meb3w3W0WF1rb84soo1_1280.pngtumblr_meb3w3W0WF1rb84soo5_1280.png

Someone over there knows how to create something that doesn't look like all the others. And for the record, I never said their work was bad. I just think a lot of their logos look like they're all part of the same universe of characters. It's just my opinion.

i can see it in the shapes, type, and line work of the two, though the second one is less of their bold line and bubbly style. i know no one said they wern't a fan of their work (personally i dont like their stuff that much) but "same universe of characters" is probably a good way to put it. its all one studio; 2 guys.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

(lots of quotes and pictures removed in the interest of saving space)

i can see it in the shapes, type, and line work of the two, though the second one is less of their bold line and bubbly style. i know no one said they weren't a fan of their work (personally i dont like their stuff that much) but "same universe of characters" is probably a good way to put it. its all one studio; 2 guys.

That's because you're a talented pro. I'm just some schmuck who runs his mouth on a podcast. B)

Seriously though, you make some great points.

BB52Big.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

(lots of quotes and pictures removed in the interest of saving space)

i can see it in the shapes, type, and line work of the two, though the second one is less of their bold line and bubbly style. i know no one said they weren't a fan of their work (personally i dont like their stuff that much) but "same universe of characters" is probably a good way to put it. its all one studio; 2 guys.

That's because you're a talented pro. I'm just some schmuck who runs his mouth on a podcast. B)

Seriously though, you make some great points.

If it makes you feel any better, I ain't a pro either—I'm just good at tricking people into thinking I am. It's something I'm good at. :P

(Oh and +1 on the good points.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 3 weeks later...

Archived