Northwestern "Reclaims The Stripe" with their new 2012 Uniforms

Kind of a shame. The N-cat was a big part of the 1995 unis. You'd think they'd keep it around somehow.

Also, would love to see a black alternate with white-purple-white striping.

He'll probably be on official gear, just not the unis. And I'd expect to see a black alt at some point.

Here's a question, what color will the stripe be on the black alt? Purple or white? I'd assume purple, but wouldn't the dark on dark violate the laws of design?

Not at all. Dark on dark is a great way to make a bold design element more subtle and also more modern if it's an element inspired by the past. It's also preposterous to think that there are any 'rules' of design. There are principles of design, but essentially, they're just a set of opposites that sort of balance each other out. For example, something that doesn't have a lot of balance may have a great deal of dominance or tension, all of which are principles of design. Furthermore, each principle can be defied tastefully, and I'd even argue that there are a few more principles that should be added.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retail jerseys are crap without the sleeve stripes. And if the compression undershirt is actually being sold, the jersey sleeves are so long that they'd cover up the stripes anyway. Poor decision.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Without the stripes on the sleeves they look like soccer jerseys to me. They should have altered the retail version. However, if a QB wears the sleeves baggy, I suppose it could end up the same way.

You're right, when fans wear these they could like soccer jerseys. They'll look fine on the players because the shoulder pads will make them look more

American Football-y.

Retail Jerseys:

NU_Actuality_H.jpg

NU_Actuality_R.jpg

Notice there are no sleeve stripes as many guessed but what I find more interesting is the two tone collar I hadn't seen before. In fact, I don't think anyone noticed that, at least not that I've seen...

I just posted this in the College Football thread...

And this is why moving the sleeve stripes to the undersleeve is a great idea, in theory, but just won't work, in practice. If they don't appear on the jersey, they aren't really part of the uniform. With this replica jersey, Northwestern/Adidas just admitted the undersleeves aren't really part of the official look. Its optional, and I'd bet whatever you want, that when they hit the field there will be more players skipping them then wearing them.

Archived