Utah Snowbears

Ez Street

Yup, looks like a Flynnagain jabronie. At least this logo doesn't B, B and S!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I was hoping that since we finally had an ABA logo that broke the mold of crapulence, we'd get away without that joke that's been beaten to a bloody pulp. Unfortunately not.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Okay, we've beaten this horse to death umptween gazillion times, okay? Live with it!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I think the SnowBears remind me somewhat of the Alaska Aces

No kidding.

AlaskaAces03.GIFutah.gif

I was pleased to see the ABA has one team with a decent logo. But the similarities between these two is just ridiculous. It's bordering on being a blatant rip-off.

Sometimes I think that we are far too quick to slap the "ripoff" tag on a new logo.

The logos of the ECHL's Alaska Aces and the ABA's Utah Snowbears both feature polar bears facing to the right of the logo, with a wordmark that runs on an angle from lower left to (slightly) upper right. Both teams' color palettes feature White (Go figure... in logos featuring polar bears... who'd have guessed?), Pale Blue and Grey. That's where the similarities end.

The polar bear in the Aces' logo is rendered in a far more realistic style, while the Snowbears' mascot is extremely stylized. The Aces' logo features a polar bear with his mouth wide open, while the Snowbears' logo has a mouth constricted in the "wedge snarl". The paws in the Aces' logo are attached to the polar bear's body in a realistic rendering of the animal's torso, while the paws in the Snowbears' logo are simply "floating". Further, the paws in the two logos are positioned differently within their respective designs. The Aces' logo features background details that place the polar bear in an environment; the Snowbears' logo does not. The Snowbears' logo features an ABA basketball (no surprise there) that immediately identifies the sport in which the team plays, while the Aces' sport is not spelled out by any feature within the design. Despite sharing some colors, the Aces' logo feels much "darker" and "heavier" given its liberal use of Black.

In short, "blatant rip-off" is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think that each of these logos is distinct from the other.

Brian in Boston

Sometimes I think that we are far too quick to slap the "ripoff" tag on a new logo.

The logos of the ECHL's Alaska Aces and the ABA's Utah Snowbears both feature polar bears facing to the right of the logo, with a wordmark that runs on an angle from lower left to (slightly) upper right. Both teams' color palettes feature White (Go figure... in logos featuring polar bears... who'd have guessed?), Pale Blue and Grey. That's where the similarities end.

The polar bear in the Aces' logo is rendered in a far more realistic style, while the Snowbears' mascot is extremely stylized. The Aces' logo features a polar bear with his mouth wide open, while the Snowbears' logo has a mouth constricted in the "wedge snarl". The paws in the Aces' logo are attached to the polar bear's body in a realistic rendering of the animal's torso, while the paws in the Snowbears' logo are simply "floating". Further, the paws in the two logos are positioned differently within their respective designs. The Aces' logo features background details that place the polar bear in an environment; the Snowbears' logo does not. The Snowbears' logo features an ABA basketball (no surprise there) that immediately identifies the sport in which the team plays, while the Aces' sport is not spelled out by any feature within the design. Despite sharing some colors, the Aces' logo feels much "darker" and "heavier" given its liberal use of Black.

In short, "blatant rip-off" is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think that each of these logos is distinct from the other.

Brian in Boston

I recognize there are several distinct differences between the logos. But the spirit of them seems identical. That's why i used the phrase "bordering on being a blatant rip-off." They're not identical. They just seem remarkably similar.

We've been bemoaning the fact that the ABA has horribly produced logos. Now we have one that's nice, but -- as i see it -- is lacking in originality.

Anyone else find it funny that both the Alaska Aces and Utah Snowbears have better bear-oriented logos than the NBA's Memphis Grizzlies?

Damn care-bear...

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

dan BiB and his detailed explanations :D

shows what you gotta do to have hte ABA's best logo: not much.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived