Argyle in sports

Kramerica Industries

That's odd, because I thought plaid and tartan were the same thing, just a difference in term usage based on locale. I mean, I thought "tartan" was more of an English term, and "plaid" was an American term for the same thing.

Thats my understanding....the Community College I went to for a year was called the Tartans

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

That's odd, because I thought plaid and tartan were the same thing, just a difference in term usage based on locale. I mean, I thought "tartan" was more of an English term, and "plaid" was an American term for the same thing.

To me, tartan represents a specific family pattern, and is usually registered. Plaid is any old style of lines and colors not associated with a clan. I would also not to necessarily call the term tartan "English," since the English themselves really don't have clans and tartans... but that's my uppity Ulter Scots talking. :angered:

The bands of color on tartan are equal in terms of width and distance from one another. Plaid has bands of differing widths and distances.

What?!?? I'm not sure that came out the way you meant it to. Here are two accepted tartans of my clan (MacArthur).

tartan959.giftartan1100.gif

Are the lines in each pattern regular? Yes. Are they all the same width and intensity? No.

As some others have stated, I don't consider most of what's been posted to be argyle/tartan. Harlequin, yes... but not argyle/tartan.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a set of hockey pants in a tartan.

Yuk... I knew someone would throw those at me.

If the pants had a continuation of the tartan on the jersey, basically like a sash, then that might be worth exploring. Not saying it would look good or not, just worth a look. But the Uecker Ads jerseys are right out.

I, on the other hand, think that sounds terrible. Ack.

Quick edit: Oh, you said "green or yellow". I was thinking green and yellow. It wouldn't look bad in a tonal green.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

LOL... I wondered if that would draw out any Yellow Army members... :lol:

I'm not a fan of the black road unis this season. The greens last year weren't terrible, but I think green with yellow collars/cuffs would be splendid.

My favorites from the recent past.

...and now we should probably stop derailing this topic. I could post the ultra-awesome Marseille argyle again, but Brian already decided to duplicate my posting of that. ;)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Pains me to say a bit, but courtesy of footyjumpers.com, may as well throw in what is considered Australia's answer to the Wild Wing jersey, and relevantly to the thread, possibly the worst sporting usage of anything argyle-like

Hawthorn-Preseason-diamond.gif

Hawthorn Hawks (AFL), worn once during the 1995 preseason. Brown & gold are their normal colors, though in the distant past they did wear blue guernseys...but yeah. These were one and done. Maybe Mero or somebody knows where to find a photo of somebody wearing this thing, otherwise I woulda posted one.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived