Mismatched MLB batting helmets and field caps

hecticbro

So what's the deal with big-league teams that don't make their batting helmets match their alternate caps? I see the A's pairing gold-brimmed helmets with solid green caps, and even more outrageous, the Orioles were wearing helmets with a completely different logo than their field caps last night!

I know that the Tigers always match their hats - is this actually more rare than the norm?

The A's have a great home hat and helmet. The yellow monogram on solid green is worthless. Demote it to BP/ST or get rid of it altogether.

The Metrodome Twins used to be bad about wearing the M hats on the road with TC helmets. Not sure what their deal is now, but I'm sure it's redundant and confusing.

Every team should only have one game hat, just as football teams only get one helmet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The A's have a great home hat and helmet. The yellow monogram on solid green is worthless. Demote it to BP/ST or get rid of it altogether.

The Metrodome Twins used to be bad about wearing the M hats on the road with TC helmets. Not sure what their deal is now, but I'm sure it's redundant and confusing.

Every team should only have one game hat, just as football teams only get one helmet.

I agree. However, if teams want to have a second hat, they should be free to do so provided they have matching helmets. It's ridiculous that with branding what it is today, teams take the field in the top and bottom halfs of innings with different looks. It's particularly bad with the Cardinals, who wear red batting helmets at home on Sundays alongside their navy bird-on-bat cap. But it doesn't matter if the teams caps are a whole different color like the Cards, or if just the brim is a different color like the Reds. It's not "not a big deal and not work buying another set of batting helmets" just because the brim is different colors. These are professional teams. Their helmets should match the caps because they are meant to mimic caps. That's why they have brims. MLB should make a rule that teams must have matching helmets for all caps, with the possible exception of special occassion caps to be worn once. If they won't want to buy another set of helmets, don't wear the caps.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Mariners don't have the teal bill helmet to match the teal bill alt caps they wear for Monday and Friday home games. They had this problem from 1998-2002 as well, when the teal bill caps were slowly phased out beginning in '97 and the teal bill helmets were gone after that season.

The Marlins are a strange case in the fact that they unveiled the orange helmets in an exhibition game, but I don't think they wore them even once during the season. So much for that nice spring training surprise.

This is an issue that has bothered me for some time. Teams have all that money to shell out on player contracts but can't drop a few extra bucks for helmets to match alt caps? Pretty lame.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

So what's the deal with big-league teams that don't make their batting helmets match their alternate caps? I see the A's pairing gold-brimmed helmets with solid green caps, and even more outrageous, the Orioles were wearing helmets with a completely different logo than their field caps last night!

I know that the Tigers always match their hats - is this actually more rare than the norm?

The A's ditched the green helmet when they had the black one also. It was too many to keep and carry around. After they ditched the black, they just never brought back the green helmet.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

I love the A's road cap. I think it's better than the home hat even.

Anubis.png

Archived