Regarding Alternate Logos

MoJoTo

What are they supposed to be?

I didn't think alts had any verbage, or should compete in any way with the primary logo.And they shouldn't spell out the name of the league, association, division, etc. in the same way that a primary might.

I'm just asking, because I'm confused. I thought an alt logo was a more simple piece that complimented the original primary logo. Used for additional marketing reasons and for alternative looks on certain uniforms.

Any educators that could clarify this for me , before the Logoymiad vote comes up for the next event.

Thanks.

What are they supposed to be?

I didn't think alts had any verbage, or should compete in any way with the primary logo.And they shouldn't spell out the name of the league, association, division, etc. in the same way that a primary might.

I'm just asking, because I'm confused. I thought an alt logo was a more simple piece that complimented the original primary logo. Used for additional marketing reasons and for alternative looks on certain uniforms.

Any educators that could clarify this for me , before the Logoymiad vote comes up for the next event.

Thanks.

Are there rules in teh "real world"?

Or is it just common practice?

Would be good to know...

In the context of Event 11, if we get a spercific answer, then just disregard the "hiladelphia" wordmark...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Maybe if there were some examples....like say the Arizona Diamondbacks.

They are probably amongst the biggest logotrollops when it comes to creating altrnative marketing logos.

Which one is really the primary and what becomes the alternate?

I think a lot of the time, and this is just my opinion, not any proven fact, that Alternate logos are generally less literal, more abstract, and for some reason they tend to be monograms of some sort ( an interpretation of the initials)

I think they are something that never really have the team name plastered on to them, something that could carry an idenity, but if successful, is a nice addition.

Think of the Minnesota Timberwolves MT logo they have on the front of their shorts.

Cool looking, sweet idea, but it would be stupid by itself.

Alternates are just different style logos....that's it.

OK. But there had to be a reason that WiB had a special event labeled "Create an alternate logo" for the Wings.

As opposed to just saying create "another logo" or a "primary logo" for the Wings.

So I think there is some fundamental difference in the hierarchy of sports logos that dilineates them.

This is the way I describe the option of an alternate logo to my 'clients'.

"Another option that is open to you is an alternate logo. Many teams employ the use of an alternate logo in branding and merchandising situations where the primary logo would be less than suitable. An alternate logo is usually a simpler derivative of the primary logo, and examples of a primary concept and an alternate concept have been attached merely for the purpose of showing the relationship we try to develop between them."

Then I usually link to the work I did for the Fox Valley Sports Academy (primary, alternate) for the example.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

"Another option that is open to you is an alternate logo. Many teams employ the use of an alternate logo in branding and merchandising situations where the primary logo would be less than suitable. An alternate logo is usually a simpler derivative of the primary logo, and examples of a primary concept and an alternate concept have been attached merely for the purpose of showing the relationship we try to develop between them."

Then I usually link to the work I did for the Fox Valley Sports Academy (primary, alternate) for the example.

So, without naming names or others works, in your opinion, are any of the logos in the alternative event actually primary logos versus alternative logos as you would explain it to a client?

The thing is is that it's usually a few different things, depending on the team. If the team originally has a pretty staid logo (ie Ottawa) They sometimes bring in an alternate logo to appeal to younger fans and/or to look more in times.

OttawaSenators4.GIF

OttawaSenators5.GIF

Or, to even identify with their geographical place/culture(Calgary, Dallas and New York also do that).....

OttawaSenators6.GIF

TampaBayLightning2.GIF

Or, a newer team (ie Columbus, Minnesota) has them to look more traditional.

wild_logo.gif

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules either. In some cases I think the wordmark can be identified as an "alternate" logo. Or a completly different logo. In teh case of event 11, I took it as somewhat keeping the team's look as it is now. Don't change it too much. Something that wuold look alright next to the orginal.

peace,

pc

Oh, lovely, another thread complaining about entries in the Logolympaid. Good grief.

Anyway, as habsfan pointed out, it depends on the team's existing identity. (And that Wild alt logo is horrible, bleh bleh bleh.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So, without naming names or others works, in your opinion, are any of the logos in the alternative event actually primary logos versus alternative logos as you would explain it to a client?

Some of them are more like what I envision, some of them aren't.

Then again, my description of what I make when I make an alternate logo isn't the be-all and end-all of descriptions.

The Edmonton Oilers' alternates (both the third jersey oildrop and the shoulder oilman) are more complex than their primary. The Minnesota Wild's alternate shows you can have a significant amount of text in an alternate logo. The Senators' alternate shows you can have an X-line-style logo as your alternate.

So an alternate must be viewed as a part of the identity package, and I hope that is how the Logolympiad is judged.

Not that it's a big deal or anything... people, come on, it's a contest, not a ticket to Game 7.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Oh, lovely, another thread complaining about entries in the Logolympaid.  Good grief.

Anyway, as habsfan pointed out, it depends on the team's existing identity.  (And that Wild alt logo is horrible, bleh bleh bleh.)

Geez, now I don't have any gay friends.

If you think this was a complaint, you got some real problems.

It is simply a discussion where I'd like some edification on the whole business of logos. Thanks to the real men that interpretted it that way and responded with thoughtful responses.

Oh, lovely, another thread complaining about entries in the Logolympaid. Good grief.

Anyway, as habsfan pointed out, it depends on the team's existing identity. (And that Wild alt logo is horrible, bleh bleh bleh.)

It is simply a discussion where I'd like some edification on the whole business of logos. Thanks to the real men that interpretted it that way and responded with thoughtful responses.

OK, that was VERY rude....

OK, that was VERY rude....

Yes, Mockba was being rude, but I'm overlooking that. I'd like my thread to stay on topic please.

No, sorry, YOU were. What the hell do you mean by "real men"?

Any man that understands the point of view of the thread without making snide comments. Any man that saw the the number of insightful responses and didn't have to bring up a tasteless remark about this being all about sabotaging the Logolympiads. Any man that wanted to offer valid point without being prissy!

In other words, any real man!

An alternate logo is just another logo. It may be simpler or more complex than the original, and isn't restricted to any specific use.

As for the Logolympiad, I think WiB intended for people to simply come up with a logo for the Philadelphia Wings. They already have a logo, so I guess that's why he said to create an ALTERNATE logo. (the definition of 'alternate' in this context meaning 'substitute', or 'second')

Mojo, this is a fun game, huh?

You're real smooth at baiting people, and when they respond, acting indignant and misunderstood. Gold medal in that competition, man.

Archived