Women's Professional Soccer Redesign

DawgPacPBH

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow these are really great, a really nice set of designs so far. Clean lines, well thought out type, very well executed. Looking forward to keeping an eye on this. One of the best concept series on here in a while for sure.

Thanks! Means a lot, been following your work for a long time, man. Always unbelievable.

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

• 3 weeks later...

Boston has a good start, but I think the type needs some work. There's too much white space between the type and the wave, and that confuses the hierarchy. Maybe find a way to contain the type, or turn it into a monogram? At this point it feels like an after thought. It wouldn't reproduce very well, so I'd explore some options for incorporating the team name into the crest. BTW, really liking the crest shape, and the dynamic beveling, which also makes the type feel flat. The wave looks great too...A good start, but let's see where you can push this one.

OD_Signature.jpg

I've had this alternate design in the works, actually! Different text, slightly different layout. Also, new color options because the original Breakers crest uses much more saturated blues, and I don't want to necessarily steal the midnight blue from the new Reign crest.

do7BP.png

Dribbble!

Ahhhhhhhhh that just made me sigh with relief. What an improvement! THIS feels like a complete design - all the elements work MUCH more harmoniously, and your visual hierarchy is spot on here. Love the rule below the type and next to FC, and I like the custom touch on the "B" in "breakers". My only real critique now is the bottom of the navy blue outer portion of the shield comes down a bit too far, but that's nitpicky really. Nicely done, sir!

OD_Signature.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhh that just made me sigh with relief. What an improvement! THIS feels like a complete design - all the elements work MUCH more harmoniously, and your visual hierarchy is spot on here. Love the rule below the type and next to FC, and I like the custom touch on the "B" in "breakers". My only real critique now is the bottom of the navy blue outer portion of the shield comes down a bit too far, but that's nitpicky really. Nicely done, sir!

I don't know why I leaned towards the first design! I think I was just staring at it for so long I lost sight of what looked good vs. what was there first. About the lower part of the crest, I have it that low because to me it felt like with the shading of the blues and lack of thickness of the gray part of it, there was a need to really push the SHIELD part. Without it it looks incomplete to me. I'm biased though, and have always loved a real thick outline hahah

Here it is for comparison!

i8LFJ.png

Dribbble!

Ok. Quick question.

I lived in WNY my whole life. There arte no mountains in WNY so I am curious why there is for the logo... I mean there is an escarpment, but no mountains.

Just curious is all.

chris_creamer_siggy.png

Please do not fool yourself, the Buccaneers jersey is conceptually and creatively an abomination. Read the "FANFARE" Here...

Gorgeous designs. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for Kansas City.

I have to get on that one, it's TERRIBLE!

Ok. Quick question.

I lived in WNY my whole life. There arte no mountains in WNY so I am curious why there is for the logo... I mean there is an escarpment, but no mountains.

Just curious is all.

Good question. I have no idea. For some reason my head tied mountains in with that region, clearly I didn't research it enough. A NEW DRAFT MUST BE MADE!

Dribbble!

• 2 weeks later...

Well nice work again on these two. Your KC tweak looks great. I like the concept there, nice movement but still very grounded and traditional. Simple, and elegant.

As for DC - wow, very compelling work here. The shield is a great shape to start with, and I like the way you've done the stars and stripes. The eagle wings are a great touch here, and I like the gold highlight at the bottom. The beak on the eagle though seems a bit odd, could be that it comes to a point but the shadow on the wings is rounded, those shapes don't really work with each other. I think the type could be emphasized a bit more again - it gets a little lost in the space. While I'm happy you're not afraid of white space, it's a bit too much in these. I'd push the stars out a bit on each side and give the type some more love. Especially your "FC" and "DC" - those will get lost at smaller sizes. Your DC monogram is interesting, but it doesn't really fit with the rest of the design language - it feels a bit out of place, and at this point is extraneous. Perhaps it could be better incorporated as an interlocking element within the stripe area behind the ball? Speaking of which, you need to change up the styling of your ball. It's nice looking, but it's a repeat from your Kansas City design, and that's not going to fly. It may not have been, but it feels like lazy design work there. That being said, you've got a great start to this one, just need to push it over that cliff a little further.

Overall I'm starting to notice some repeating elements - similar shield shapes (atlanta & NY) and the repeating ball (KC/DC) so be careful with that. I'm still really digging this series and I'm looking forward to seeing the next round.

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived