Women's Professional Soccer Redesign

DawgPacPBH

Well nice work again on these two. Your KC tweak looks great. I like the concept there, nice movement but still very grounded and traditional. Simple, and elegant.

As for DC - wow, very compelling work here. The shield is a great shape to start with, and I like the way you've done the stars and stripes. The eagle wings are a great touch here, and I like the gold highlight at the bottom. The beak on the eagle though seems a bit odd, could be that it comes to a point but the shadow on the wings is rounded, those shapes don't really work with each other. I think the type could be emphasized a bit more again - it gets a little lost in the space. While I'm happy you're not afraid of white space, it's a bit too much in these. I'd push the stars out a bit on each side and give the type some more love. Especially your "FC" and "DC" - those will get lost at smaller sizes. Your DC monogram is interesting, but it doesn't really fit with the rest of the design language - it feels a bit out of place, and at this point is extraneous. Perhaps it could be better incorporated as an interlocking element within the stripe area behind the ball? Speaking of which, you need to change up the styling of your ball. It's nice looking, but it's a repeat from your Kansas City design, and that's not going to fly. It may not have been, but it feels like lazy design work there. That being said, you've got a great start to this one, just need to push it over that cliff a little further.

Overall I'm starting to notice some repeating elements - similar shield shapes (atlanta & NY) and the repeating ball (KC/DC) so be careful with that. I'm still really digging this series and I'm looking forward to seeing the next round.

Thanks for all the feedback, really took it to heart. I wasn't sure what you meant about the eagle/wings on the bottom though, care to elaborate? Also, the ball was a huge mistake, late night designing means overlooking placeholders. I hadn't yet decided what to put there though. I went out on a limb here, I wanna see if it comes across right. It's a ball still, but much more akin to the balls that are more modern as opposed to the classic hex ball. More like the newer Nike balls, the strike and maxim. However, the shape takes on kind of an eagle/seal silhouette without the head...it's weird but I liked it hahah. The type was expanded to take up more space, it was a bit too empty. Also, the DC was removed, and the stars moved out. The stars represent both the WUSA and WPS as both only lasted 3 years, and this is the third attempt at a sustainable league. The crest shape was slightly modified to look patriotic, but I'm not sure how that'll be taken.

VFutq.png

Maybe its my computer or are they two blues in the DC one.

If so I would remove one because it just does not need it.

I found a few mis-colors, thanks!

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid improvement here. I like the ball MUCH better, though you may want to play with some other perspectives on it, than looking at it from slightly directly below. I'd also bring the two navy elements on the side to a full point instead of squaring them off on the edge, and perhaps increase the size of your star. As for the wing thing, the yellow beak at the bottom is what's bugging me. At the top it comes to a sharp point, but the blue negative space about it is completely curved, so those two shapes don't work well together. With the gold highlight above the wings, I don't know that you really even need the beak element. Maybe try just bringing the white wings together at a point in the center? Might make it feel more completed and a bit more stylized than trying to force the beak in there.

OD_Signature.jpg

Another one I REALLY need some critiques on. I can't figure out how to make it feel less open. I like all the parts of it, but I feel like they aren't flowing well. Maybe the crest shape needs a revamp?

aghhhh maybe I've just been staring at it for too long.

yKz8V.png

Maybe if you add the capitol dome it'll swallow up some of that negative space

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

These are so great I can't help but feel sad knowing that the actual logos being used are clipart collages. Have you contacted the NWSL about design work?

Also, I'd like to see all of the logos together! I'm guessing you won't be touching the PTFC or Seattle crests so maybe include those in there.

These are so great I can't help but feel sad knowing that the actual logos being used are clipart collages. Have you contacted the NWSL about design work?

Also, I'd like to see all of the logos together! I'm guessing you won't be touching the PTFC or Seattle crests so maybe include those in there.

You're right, I have no intentions of touching PTFC or Seattle. PTFC I don't care for so it's possible, but Seattle did a great job with their branding, possibly the only squad who took it seriously.

I DID contact a bunch of teams, only got one response and they told me they were going to move forward as is. Also, ussoccer told me they were taking care of it in house. I, and many other people, don't even come close to agreeing with the direction they took the branding of the league, but I mean...I guess good luck to them. If they aren't going to take the league seriously, why should we?

I'll organize 'em all soon! I'm gonna take a shot at the NWSL logo to finish it off!

Twitter: @peteeee

E-Mail: peteschwadel@gmail.com

Dribbble!

The logos look fantastic in use. It's a shame that they won't consider any of your work. If they're not interested then it might be kind of nice to circulate the crests on Facebook, Twitter, etc. I'm sure supporter's groups would love to use them.

FC Kansas City actually did end up changing their crest and although it's much better, it's still boring:

602810_474192249285327_2114960241_n.jpg

Archived