Parcells Gets Off Easy

JamesCraven

Should Bill Pareclls have been punished for his insensative remarks?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On Monday (6/7), Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells used a racial remark to describe trick plays, and both he and the team apologized. Tuesday (6/8), the National Football League home office in New York City felt that was enough and decided not to seek further disciplinary action.

IMHO, the use of the chosen words ("Jap plays", according to Parcells, even as he gave fair warning that he was going not to offend anyone, especially an writer for a Japanese American football magazine) was wrong, and Parcells should have been fined at least $10,000 for the NFL's Christmas Party Fund and sent to sensativity training for the offensive remarks against certain Asian-Americans.

The proof of being "America's Team" yet again is, to quote Bob Oldenkirk, Miller Brewing's Beer Presidential canadate a "traveshamockery". Al Campanis was fired one day from his general managers' job with the Los Angeles Dodgers after making remarks about African-Americans lacking certain capacities in managerial jobs in baseball, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was dumped by CBS from "The NFL Today" broadcasting team after remarks about breeding, and just recently, CNBC fired WWE SmackDown! wrestling superstar/stock tipster John Bradshaw Layfield after he made a Nazi salute during a WWE-sponsored event in Germany over the weekend. In addition, he has (in character) embarassed Hispanics in his original home state of Texas.

So, is it just me or is it a double standard that's flying around different types of racism in sports and life?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear people in this country are such pansies. Of all the stuff to worry about in the world/country, we focus on a short quip a coach spews out at practice. Yes, yet another reason this country is going down the drain because of political correctness. It's not like he dropped the N-Bomb or called someone a Japanese Racial Slur. Saying "Jap Play" is hardly a fricken slur. Would their be as much flack if he were to say.......we are going to run "Frenchie Plays", basically saying they are going to give up. I hate the fact people scrutinize every word out of evey persons mouth.

CNBC fired WWE SmackDown! wrestling superstar/stock tipster John Bradshaw Layfield after he made a Nazi salute during a WWE-sponsored event in Germany over the weekend.

What a fkn idiot... Germany does absolutely everything it can to separate itself from Hitler and the Nazi's and yet again some dumb American just doesn't get it and shows his arse to the rest of the world.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes there is a double standard because the Asian-American community doesn't speak up as much as it probably should. A lot of first generation Asians are (unfortunatley) willing to give up huge chunks of their cultural identity to "become American," and raise their children to do the same. So they see dealing with these remarks as coming with the territory and don't speak up on it.

I'm not sure Parcells should be fined though. IMO, when he said "no offense to the Orientals" was worse than "Jap plays," but most likely, it's something (considering his age) where he just didn't know any better. Someone should just pull him to the side, explain what was wrong with that and be done with it. And chances are someone has already done that.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

I think this was a tough one. He clearly didn't mean offense and he clearly was apologetic about it even as he was saying it. Also he wasn't abusing anyone directly. However I think in some ways if he wasn't coach of a team in Texas, he might have been in somewhat hotter water. That isn't to disparage Texas or texans but it is hardly a hot bed for politcal correctness. If he made the comment in say New York, the local press may have run a mile with this and pressurised the NFL into action. My point I think is that he simply made a glib off the cuff remark, which from time to time we all do. Fair enough. He doesn't need to be pilloried for it especially as he has apologised.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

He didn't say anything wrong. That's a pretty good name for those plays I'd think.

Like Sean Salisbury said, and I'm no football player, so I don't know for sure, there are a lot of things in playbooks that would draw scrutiny.

People need to freaking get over this crap. He didn't mean offense, don't take offense. That's all there is to it.

People need to go with intentions and not some technical connotation.

Sensitivity training? Are you kidding me?

Sensitivity training? Are you kidding me?

Terry Tate (the guy in the commercials, not my moderator alter ego) underwent Sensitivity Training, and that turned out reeeal well :D

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Come on he appologizied lets not turn this into a federal case seesh every now and then all of us say something stupid and Bill siad something stupid Monday just let it rest there for once.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Come on he appologizied lets not turn this into a federal case seesh every now and then all of us say something stupid and Bill siad something stupid Monday just let it rest there for once.

"I'm sorry you idiots are so easily offended" doesn't count as an apology.

"I'm sorry you idiots are so easily offended" doesn't count as an apology.

He did release a formal statement apology, but I would have been fine with what you put in quotes.

Give me a friggin' break!

How come Linebackers are allowed to "Blitz"? Isn't that short for Blitzkrieg which the German army did relentlessly over England and France during the same war? I guess if I was Jewish QB in the NFL I would be offended everytime a defender blitzed.

Hey maybe when he said JAP plays he meant Jewish American Princess plays, that's where the QB drops back to pass and the offensive lineman all start to whine and complain because the combination of humidity and their helmets is giving them bad hair days..... Oh yeah I'm sorry if I offended any Jewish Females on the board.

I'm flashing back to Meet The Parents where Ben Stiler's character is told you can't say "bomb" on an airplane, and he just bursts out "bomb, bomb, bo-bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb...!!!"

I'd almost feel like doing the same thing with all these so called offensive terms right now.

People need to toughen up. The fact that we have sensitivity training says it all. People get offended by this little crap and we're TRYING to make people more sensitive??? No, I say, we need to get tough skinitivity training...

The Japanese writer in the auidence didn't have a problem with it, so i don't think all the liberals with thier White Liberal Guilt should get all over this. Calm down, and go defend the ACLU and NAMBLA, you lousy bastards...

And "Jap" isn't a racial remark, Gook, Slant, Chink, Slope, Zero, Nips... THOSE are racial remarks.........

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Japanese writer in the auidence didn't have a problem with it, so i don't think all the liberals with thier White Liberal Guilt should get all over this. Calm down, and go defend the ACLU and NAMBLA, you lousy bastards...

And "Jap" isn't a racial remark, Gook, Slant, Chink, Slope, Zero, Nips... THOSE are racial remarks.........

Hey I have already said nothing more needs doing and I am amongst the boards most progressive commentators!

And 'blitz' is a word in wide usage in English today. It might be derived from blitzkrieg, but why does that make it offensive? I do hate it when conservatives take the piss out of Political correctness by taking it way way beyond its context. Parcells regretted the comment he made, apologised so lets move on.

PC language has some real value in making the language less value laden. Obviously it can be and has often been taken out of context. But what is wrong, in a multi cultural society and world in making people conscious of the fact that some remarks they make might be offensive to others? Using the word blitz implies nothing, saying Jap may to some infer the speaker thinks less of Japanese people.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Political Corectness just the term itself is bad.

Who has the right to determine what is corect politically?

Political Corectness is the design of a bunch of eltitist liberals who think they are the final say the ba all and end all of how people should think, and speak.

And if there ideas and the idea of it continues to spread and the very freedoms we hold dear will be in jeopardy.

I mean political corectness is destroying the first amdement.

Look at what has happened to SNL for example that show is unwatacvhable now, compare it to 20 years ago they had much more funny edgy skits now they are a bunch of dumb humor and repetive skits of the same characters that are not designed to offend.

And whats more disturbing is its not a 2-way street Spike Lee can call Larry Bird over rated by the white press and not have anyone rip him while Rush Limabuagh is besieged for making a serious point about how Donovan McNabb is cheered on by the media. There is no denying McNabb is cheered on by the media, and its not a bad thing, and Rush did not say it was a bad thing either.

We have got to stop Political Corectness now before one day we wont be able to and we can be arrested for making "offensive" speach, because that word offensive could be made to mean anything, if they want it to.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Ah the first amendment!! I love the idea of free speech, but no society has an absolute belief in free speech- All societies have libel laws, etc etc that reduce the ability of individuals to speak freely!

Political correctness is just a way of expressing the idea that the language changes and that what is acceptable language changes. Always has always will. The use of expletive language, the way the term for Native Americans changes, I could go on!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Political Correctness is not bad. It is designed to prevent people from being disparaged and offended. However the term has been abused, and these days people are hyoersensitive to possible cases of noncompliance.

Political Correctness is like common courtesy, manners, politeness, and social acceptability... the actual expression of it may change over time, but the reason for it's existence is to maintain order, respect, and peace in society.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

You know why the media "jumps" on Limbaugh? Cause he's one of those idiots who constantly bleat on and on about how a media conspiracy is agaisnt him, just so he can't be proven wrong. He always has a built in little excuse. He gets a fact wrong, Blah, liberal media. If he chokes on his pills, he'd probably blame the media. He's a demogauge, just like Father Caughlin in the 30's/40's.

AND NO, THAT DIDN'T VIOLATE FREE SPEECH! ESPN is paying him to speak. If you stand on a corner, trying to bring people into a resteraunt, and you all of a sudden say stuff the owner doesn't want you to say, guess what! HE CAN FIRE YOU! Rush said something and caused a rucus that ESPN didn't want. So, they pushed him out! There is NO violation whatsoever of free speech! Rush is an idiot! He ruined a perfectly good dream job by spoutin' off.

And, Syphi is right. It's just common courtesy. Not a giant conspiracy against you....

Archived