FAN VOTE: Greatest Sioux Jersey Ever Tournament!

Big A HG

Hey everyone, about a year and a half ago I started Sioux-Jersey.com, dedicated to the history of Fighting Sioux jerseys. I felt it was now good enough to share with the Sportslogos.net community.

****Please note: I know there are a number of posters on Sportslogos.net that are against Native American nicknames. I can respect your opinion on the subject matter, but please do myself (and others) a favor by not turning this into a nickname rant thread. Thank you.

TournamentLogoMedium_zpsdf47ef98.png

VOTE NOW BY CLICKING ABOVE GRAPHIC OR CLICKING HERE!!

Now that the Sioux nickname era has come to an end, it's time to determine which jersey will go down as the fan favorite of All-Time.

about: The winner will be determined by you, the fans. The tournament will be in bracket format. I've narrowed down the field to 16, now it's up to YOU to VOTE and determine a winner! I've chosen eight home white jerseys as well as eight dark jerseys with each white jersey going against a dark in the first round. There are four Divisions of four jerseys, each named after the four National Championship winning Sioux coaches. The bracket is also divided into two Regions, those named after two of the most influential people in Sioux hockey history. The divisons/regions are there to help divide up the voting and for you to discuss which division/region you think is going to win!

WHEN: Voting is now open! Each round of voting will last one week, starting December 26, 2012.

-Gasparini & May Divisions --- 12/26/12 - 1/2/13

-Blais & Thorndycraft Divisions --- 1/2/13 - 1/9/13

-Engelstad Regional Semi-Finals --- 1/9/13 - 1/16/13

-Purpur Regional Semi-Finals --- 1/16/13 - 1/23/13

-Semi-Finals --- 1/23/13 - 1/30/13

-Championship --- 1/30/13 - 2/6/13

Check out the bracket to see how things stack up right now:

Bracket_VrySmall_zps5b6206d2.png

Which jerseys are your favorites? What's your favorite first round matchups?? Vote now!

HELP SPREAD THE WORD ON FACEBOOK! Check out the Event Page by Clicking Here! (Don't forget to 'Like' the Sioux-Jersey.com page while you're at it!)

Also, for all you tweeters.... @siouxjersey #greatestsiouxjersey

I'd love to hear any feedback on the site while you browse around. Thanks for voting!

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

-Ralph Engelstad was a Nazi and threatened to withdraw all funding to the UND athletic department if they changed the nickname.

-UND currently draws the most fans per game (at Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks) among all North American college, junior, and minor league hockey teams (NHL is locked out).

-The students at UND have recently voted to change the school's athletic nickname and the nickname will be changed soon.

-It's tough to vote for anything in the "Ralph Engelstad Division," soooo...

-Ralph Engelstad was a Nazi and threatened to withdraw all funding to the UND athletic department if they changed the nickname.

-UND currently draws the most fans per game (at Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks) among all North American college, junior, and minor league hockey teams (NHL is locked out).

-The students at UND have recently voted to change the school's athletic nickname and the nickname will be changed soon.

Why you gotta do that?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

He's right though.

I wasn't going to comment on this vote due to the nickname issues (the issue is settled both parties can move on), but naming an entire bracket after a known racist and neo-Nazi will bring your vote a good deal of legitimate criticism.

He's right though.

I wasn't going to comment on this vote due to the nickname issues (the issue is settled both parties can move on), but naming an entire bracket after a known racist and neo-Nazi will bring your vote a good deal of legitimate criticism.

I know he's technically right, but why bring it up, especially in a harmless thing like this? People can't just let others have fun anymore, there's always someone waiting to piss on it.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

He's right though.

I know he's technically right,

The best kind of right! [/Futurama]

but why bring it up, especially in a harmless thing like this? People can't just let others have fun anymore, there's always someone waiting to piss on it.

Though I opposed the movement to force the University to keep a name they had lost the right to use I wasn't planning on commenting in this thread at all. If I did, it would have only been to say that I think the black 2002-2006 sweater is probably the best one listed.

Then max brought the fact that a bracket is named after Ralph Engelstad, known neo-Nazi, to light. Sorry, that offends me. And seeing as the original poster posted this vote in a forum that I too am a member of, I have the right to be offended at that.

Anyway I've said my piece. Continue on with your vote.

Gee, thanks for your permission for us to continue after you've satisfied your compulsive desire to hector the board with something only tangentially related to the topic!

Very cool contest Big A HG, thanks for posting the link.

p4Ut2be.png

Gee, thanks for your permission for us to continue after you've satisfied your compulsive desire to hector the board with something only tangentially related to the topic!

You're welcome.

He's right though.

This is not the place for Sioux nickname dicussions. That's not what this thread is for.

If you'd care to continue your conversations, there are a number of threads that are better suited (these are just three...and you've already made your point in them Ice_Cap)

http://boards.sports...sioux +nickname

http://boards.sports...ickname__st__20

http://boards.sports...sioux +nickname

Thanks to those who've checked out the site and taken time to vote!

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

jesus... stop picking on the sioux just to pick on the sioux.

where's this level of outrage over "ford field" or anything named after that nazi?

it's possible to separate the two topics and judge north dakota uniforms on purely uniform-aesthetic qualities, without bringing up the politics of dead men.

As much as I disliked the whole Nike Swift jerseys (for anyone) when they came out, somehow it's become one of my favorite uniforms they've ever worn. It may be because they always did so well in those, or that they're so different, but I really like 'em.

Now, to try and find one...

qvAvG.jpg

Amen!

I wish the Sioux had been more original than to use a green version of the Blackhawk logo. The logo in Hontas' sig would have been better.

LehQRaC.png

Amen!

I wish the Sioux had been more original than to use a green version of the Blackhawk logo. The logo in Hontas' sig would have been better.

They did actually use it for two seasons. I haven't dug up a story on why it disappeared, but the logo was used pretty extensively throughout campus in the late 50s - early 60s.

Thanks again for all the votes and kind words about the site. It's been a long process in the making, but has been a blast.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

@Big A HG - How did you go about getting all the info you needed as far as illustrating all the jerseys you have on your site? Were you able to just work off of jerseys and pictures that you have, or did you get some help from the university?

I'd imagine it wasn't super easy to get some pictures of the older uniforms, as it's even a task to get good pictures from the 80's through the mid 90's.

qvAvG.jpg

@Big A HG - How did you go about getting all the info you needed as far as illustrating all the jerseys you have on your site? Were you able to just work off of jerseys and pictures that you have, or did you get some help from the university?

I'd imagine it wasn't super easy to get some pictures of the older uniforms, as it's even a task to get good pictures from the 80's through the mid 90's.

Tons of research. There are photos out there, but many are few and far between. Some of the hardest photos to find were from the lulls in success the team had in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The 1986-93 style jersey had so many variations, and so many in the same game, it's nearly impossible to completely decipher it all and even I don't have all the info sorted out completely. There were five variations of the S-patch during that time, also variations of the: font (though subtle), striping, WCHA patches, and CCM logo.

I've used a number of different tools to find things out. The school library covers the 40s-60s pretty well, but not much beyond that. Team photos help a lot, but are very difficult to find. Really, it's been a 5-6 year process and I never had intentions of making a website about it, but when discussing different things with other Sioux jersey fanatics, I decided to have fun putting a site together.

Nearly all of the jerseys are pretty darn accurately recreated down to the seams, but of course there are a few things here and there I could still learn, but most are small. All the logos and everything I've recreated in high-resolution based on photos and other means, but I keep them under tight wraps as I've had numerous people wanting to use them to sell products.

I could write SO much more on the subject, and maybe I'll cover it in a blog entry in the future, but I'll leave it at that for now.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

Archived