TimEOBrien's B1G Yakball concepts: Wisconsin up

TimEOBrien

Inspired by Raysox's sport, threads and call to concepts, I give you my ideas for the B1G conference.

I tried to make these as realistic to their current identities as possible - with a few exceptions. Northwestern is done but I wont reveal those until they are revealed by Raysox in his NCAA thread.

TEAMS:

Indiana

Ohio State

Illinois

Nebraska

Iowa

Purdue

Michigan State

Penn State

Northwestern

Minnesota

Michigan

Wisconsin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indiana is a school with two historically great men's athletic programs: The five time NCAA Men's Basketball Champions and the eight time NCAA Men's Soccer Champions. The Home kit here is based off of Indiana's basketball warmups where the Clash Kit is based on Indiana's soccer team's home kits, which are usually fairly plain but classic versions of Adidas' newest soccer cuts.

IU_YAK_SET_1.jpg

IU_YAK_SET_2.jpg

This is good, simple, but with some flair. But there might be a NIT type tournament, so you might want to keep some designs under wraps.

Thanks! And I made it to the NCAA tourney, I'll allow some other designers a chance to compete in the NIT (or I'll pick a team outside the B1G ;) ).

Very good job! I like Indiana. This isn't criticism towards the design, but doesn't the NCAA have a ban or something against the adidas stripes? I know in soccer adidas isn't allowed to use the 3 stripe design, just like in the Olympics.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

Very good job! I like Indiana. This isn't criticism towards the design, but doesn't the NCAA have a ban or something against the adidas stripes? I know in soccer adidas isn't allowed to use the 3 stripe design, just like in the Olympics.

Nope. IU basketball jerseys have the 3 stripe logo.

This looks really good. Only recommendation I would make would be to move the logo on the field. The dot kinda throws it off, even though it is about where Bloomington would be.

Nope. IU basketball jerseys have the 3 stripe logo.

This looks really good. Only recommendation I would make would be to move the logo on the field. The dot kinda throws it off, even though it is about where Bloomington would be.

I think he was referring to the the stripes on the shoulder and shorts, not the adidas logo. The three stripe design is banned in the Olympics.

And the three stripes must be legal to at least a certain extent: 1 2 3

OHIO STATE:

The Buckeyes get a cross between a football jersey feel and a hockey jersey feel with a touch of basketball, representing their acumen in all three sports. Both Jerseys feature the Ohio State Stripe going from sleeve to sleeve and acting like an extended shoulder yoke. the hem stripe helps to break up the the jersey and shorts, especially on the change kit.

The shorts don't change. This is something I don't want to do for every team, but it works here since they mimic the football program's iconic pants.

OSU_YAK_SET_1.jpg

OSU_YAK_SET_2.jpg

As an alum (AGS '00), I have to say FANTASTIC work on the Indiana set. SO glad you used cream instead of white, and the striped shorts are a wonderful tribute to the hugely popular basketball warm-ups.

rATMcmK.png

ILLINOIS:

The Fighting Illini get a very unique look featuring their iconic stripe. On the Home kit, the stripe flows along the Nike cut where as on the Clash kit, it flows down the chest and back like a more traditional soccer stripe. The Clash shorts are two toned: Orange on front and Blue on the back.

UofI_YAK_SET_1.jpg

UofI_YAK_SET_2.jpg

I really like both of the U of I ones, but personally I think the zigzag only works on the left one. The zigzag isn't really iconic. It's never showed up in football and it only came into basketball the last half of the Weber era. I almost think it runs into the lettering on the right one.

Great work, overall. The OSU ones are really sharp, and the Indiana ones are a perfect tribute to IU basketball. Can't wait to see the UM/MSU sets.

Whoah. That Illinois concept is something. I like it, but I think it would be a bit hard on the eyes when watching the team play.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

NEBRASKA:

The Huskers are the first of my concepts to get a soccer clash treatment. For the Home Kit, I gave the Nebraska an 'older' Yakball template (obviously I'm making this up, but that was my thought process...) with a few nods to the football program. For their Clash Kit, I gave Neb a newest Adidas template Kit (the one IU wears) with non-school colors, but for good reasons.

1. There are too many red and white schools in the B1G anyway, so why not find a fun way to spice things up?

2. The clash kit in soccer is often odd colors.

3. The black jersey represents, "The Blackshirts," while the yellow shorts alludes to the 'corn' part of Cornhuskers.

Neb_YAK_SET_1.jpg

Neb_YAK_SET_2.jpg

Archived