Golf Tournament Logo

J_Marrs_

Here's the story on this logo below,

I intern at Niagara and they asked me to design a logo for the golf tournament the athletic department runs as a fundraiser. I started this design using a different font, and have been trying to get to a final design. Then when I show the mock ups to the person running it, he wanted me to use the "athletic departments font" which you see below, italicized and all. I can't help but feel like the text is "off" but I'm restricted to this font. So any comments and constructive criticism would be very much appreciated, thank you.

RAY-KIST-LOGO-ITI_zps0b4e1d69.jpg

It's a decent design, and I like the shape of the shield. A few things I think you should change: The gradients of the eagle in the middle don't really work for me, you should just get rid of them and simplify the eagle's head. It has too many little details that make it look strange.

The main font looks a bit distorted, try lining up the M in "memorial" with the dividing line of the shield (which you could also do without.)

I think you did a pretty good job, though, and if you want to use gradients try it on the banners.

Unfortunately the gradients on the eagle head are a part of our official logo, so they can't be taken out. I don't like them either. I tried taking the arches out for straight banners since the "athletic font" is italicized

RAY-KIST-LOGO-ITI-straighyt_zps8ae7ae22.jpg

You need to re-do the edges of the banner now that they're straight. Id also remove the tiny black lines on each end that show the edge of the banner.It still makese sense without them. Other suggestions:

- Condsider adding a black stroke around the banners and golf clubs. That might make them feel more cohesive with the shield.

- I'd be interested to see if banners in white instead of gray.

- Consider moving "Niagra University" off of the banner and putting it in the shield space above the banner (in white). However if you do that, I'd suggest removing the center stripe of the shield to simplify it.

- The black lines on the club grips either need to be thicker/more prominent or removed completely.

What program are you using to do this? I would suggest getting rid of the black stripe on the shield and maybe add more "curves" to the grips to make it more like a grip. Also maybe thicken up the text a bit. Overall it's a nice start though!

Archived