Penguins, again, threaten to leave Pittsburgh

gosioux76

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but the Pirates have been around for about a century and the Pens for a substantially shorter time. The Pirates have a brand new ballpark that would be a tremendous white elephant if it were abandoned, yet the Igloo is easily disposable and is 40 years old. Even though the Pens have had success (and it's been 12 years now), the Pirates are more of a Pittsburgh sports tradition.

Oh, and as for the 3 cities, I'm guessing KC, Houston and Cleveland.

It's worth noting that the public didn't willingly pay for the Pirates or Steelers stadiums. Those plans were voted down by referendum, only to be tucked quietly behind a piece of state legislation that was passed before the public had time to blink.

I'm sure Pittsburgh residents aren't interested in seeing any of its pro teams leave. Pittsburgh has a strong sports tradition, though one that isn't willing to shell out big bucks to support subpar products like the Penguins and Pirates.

The general public in Pittsburgh and elsewhere seem less and less interested in backing publicly financed stadiums after swindles like the one here in Pittsburgh. The Penguins, I think, are asking for public money at the wrong time.

Yes, but the Pirates have been around for about a century and the Pens for a substantially shorter time. The Pirates have a brand new ballpark that would be a tremendous white elephant if it were abandoned, yet the Igloo is easily disposable and is 40 years old. Even though the Pens have had success (and it's been 12 years now), the Pirates are more of a Pittsburgh sports tradition.

Let's not count out Winnipeg just yet. I have my doubts about Cleveland as a strong hockey market...KC would do well...as would Houston...but how badly would Pittsburghers scream if they moved to Cleveland?

I say add Winnipeg to the list :D

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yes, but the Pirates have been around for about a century and the Pens for a substantially shorter time.  The Pirates have a brand new ballpark that would be a tremendous white elephant if it were abandoned, yet the Igloo is easily disposable and is 40 years old.  Even though the Pens have had success (and it's been 12 years now), the Pirates are more of a Pittsburgh sports tradition.

Let's not count out Winnipeg just yet. I have my doubts about Cleveland as a strong hockey market...KC would do well...as would Houston...but how badly would Pittsburghers scream if they moved to Cleveland?

Well, there was that whole deal a few months back about Winnipeg's deputy mayor sending a note to Penguins officials about moving the team there. There's probably some merit to that thought.

Yes, but the Pirates have been around for about a century and the Pens for a substantially shorter time.  The Pirates have a brand new ballpark that would be a tremendous white elephant if it were abandoned, yet the Igloo is easily disposable and is 40 years old.  Even though the Pens have had success (and it's been 12 years now), the Pirates are more of a Pittsburgh sports tradition.

Yes, I should have put Winnipeg instead of Cleveland. I forgot about the new arena being built there.

Howard Baldwin has contacted the City of Hartford, of possibly building a new arena here. He is also trying to buy the Penguins, meaning they could come back to Hartford. We have a great fan base, it'll just be we're stuck between 3 superpowers in New York and Boston.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

A lock out makes it all moot. Even after the NHL resumese if locked out, the prevailing thought is taht teams will be cut.

That's a good point. I haven't been following the CBA stuff. How likely would it be that the league might contract/lose franchises following a lock-out?

Howard Baldwin has contacted the City of Hartford, of possibly building a new arena here. He is also trying to buy the Penguins, meaning they could come back to Hartford. We have a great fan base, it'll just be we're stuck between 3 superpowers in New York and Boston.

So, you want to do the same thing to the people of Pittsburgh that was done to you? :rolleyes:

When Pittsburgh built a new arena for University of Pittsburgh Basketball they should have built one for the Pens instead and let the Panthers use the same arena.

The Hurricanes Arena and the planned Devils arena in Newark are built for a NHL team and a NCAA Basketball team.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

just a thought with CLeveland, how would that move sit in Columbus having another team in the state? personally, I'd like to see them in Winnipeg, but KC wouldn't be a bad location either. It's close to STL, but I think it would be large enought to do well in it's own right.

I honestly don't know alot about Houston, but I'm skeptical about moving a financially dispondent team into a new market. If they had an owner with cash to burn then it might work out, but it would be smart to move them into a market where it is a very good bet that the team will generate and create a fanbase that will support it

Well, the whole point is that Mountaineer Gaming wants to help build a new arena if:

• [1] The State Legislature passes a bill legalizing slot machines at racetracks, and...
    [2] The company gets a license for a throughbred race track in the greater Pittsburgh Area that would include a arena for the Pens.

Of course, given the speed of how things go in Harrisburg (Pennsylvania's state capital) which is a joke in legislative circles outside Pennsylvania, and the success of one Smarty Jones, it may get done faster, maybe by the fall.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Archived