Sports Trivia

rmackman

Here's another question (possibly harder than the Jordan question):

When was the last time there was no Game 7 played in a Stanley Cup postseason?

I think my question was provided of the last time an actual postseason was played, but didn't have a Game 7 at all in any series. So 2005 is not the right answer.

Here's another one: which is/are the only NBA team(s) in history, who had the best regular-season record for two consecutive years, but fail to get to the NBA Finals in both of those seasons?

I think my question was provided of the last time an actual postseason was played, but didn't have a Game 7 at all in any series. So 2005 is not the right answer.

Here's another one: which is/are the only NBA team(s) in history, who had the best regular-season record for two consecutive years, but fail to get to the NBA Finals in both of those seasons?

The 2008-09 and 2009-10 Cleveland Cavaliers would be (one?) of the answers to that question, if I remember correctly.

Which NHL player is the only one to have won the Hart Trophy the year he was traded?

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Which NHL player is the only one to have won the Hart Trophy the year he was traded?

Joe Thornton in 05-06 (Boston to San Jose).

---

I'll brin my question back up:

Who played right field for the Yankees before Babe Ruth?

Again, Members of Basically A Sports Show are not eligible to answer :P (because we already went over this :lol: )

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I feel like a turd, because as a Yankee fan and also as someone who has loved delving into baseball history books before*, I really should know the answer to this.

*no kidding, back in 2004, I got a book as a gift that covered baseball history from 1901-2002, with brief synopses of important developments in that season as well as a timeline along the bottom of the pages, usually about six pages each, and it was probably the best book I've ever had, especially as a resource. I highly recommend, even if it doesn't include the past ten seasons. We all know what's happened between 2003 and 2012 anyway.

spacer.png

Which is/are the only NBA team(s) in history, who had the best regular-season record for two consecutive years, but fail to get to the NBA Finals in both of those seasons?

The 2008-09 and 2009-10 Cleveland Cavaliers would be (one?) of the answers to that question, if I remember correctly.

Half-right. Believe it or not, there are two teams.

The 66-win and 61-win Cavs teams of '08-'09 and '09-'10 were the first teams to have the best record for two straight years but fail to reach the Finals in both years.

The second were, actually, the '10-'11 and '11-'12 Chicago Bulls, with 62 and 50* wins, respectively.

*50 wins in 66-game shortened season interpolates to 63 wins in actual regular season. Also, Chicago tied with the San Antonio Spurs for best regular season record, but were given the tiebreaker, because of a head-to-head victory over San Antonio in the season.

Correct. Driving the point home, it'll be 36 years and counting since a Stanley Cup postseason had no Game 7s played. The closest we came to no Game 7 was the 2007 playoffs, when only one series (the Stars-Canucks West Quarterfinal) needed the full 7 games.

Pitcher Joe Niekro hit one home run in his 22 MLB seasons. Who gave up his loan long ball?

His brother Phil Niekro. Nice try bud.

I never knew that until it came up on this weekend's Brewer calendar. Talk about something great to hold over your brother.

It's where I sit.

Archived