Contest (Design your own Vikings jersey)

Cellar Dweller

*** I started this contest not knowing that there were procedures governing the holding of contests. I am waiting for the Competition Counsel's decision as to whether this contest will be allowed. So please stay tuned.***

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the new uniforms have been revealed, and the draft is over, we have a long off-season in front of us. With this down time, I thought it would be fun to hold a contest. Instead of participating in countless more debates over the like & dislike of the new threads, perhaps the members of this forum might want to get their creative juices flowing by designing a Vikings jersey.

You can make it any way you'd like. Your only limitation is that you must incorporate some form of the colors purple & gold. Choose your favorite fonts. Make your own word mark, if you have your own idea for one.

Contest rules: Design submissions must be original. Copying another's design elements is a no-no. You can create from templates, photos of undecorated jerseys, or you can just start from scratch. You can submit as many designs as you'd like. Submitted designs must be, at least, the front view of the jersey. You can submit pictures of any other view (profile or back views), if you desire. But it's not necessary. You can do either road or home versions (doesn't have to be both). Do not add other uniform parts. This contest is for jerseys only.

Contest ends 6/1/13 (12:00 am). Submissions will be voted on by the forum members. Only one vote, per member. The winner, obviously, will be the designer with the most votes. Votes cannot be combined from multiple submissions, from the same designer. When the contest is over, I'll tally the votes. Obviously, the designer with the most votes wins. (If I've overlooked anything, please message me.)

So, what's the prize?

The winner will receive (4) reflective decals, as pictured below. They are made from engineer-grade reflective material (the good stuff). When light hits them just the right way, they pop. These decals do not have any background. The purple areas, in and around the designs, are cut and knocked out of the decals.

"Is that it?" Yeah, that's it. Considering that members post custom-made designs here all of the time for nothing, a few free decals wouldn't be hard to take. "But I'm not a Vikings fan." Well, if you win them, you can give them as gifts, sell them, or line your bird cage with them. The winner will supply their shipping address. The winner will also hope that the USPS doesn't lose their prize, because I'm only shipping this once. I won't be on the hook for replacements, just in case they get lost in the mail. I've shipped decals before. The USPS is pretty reliable.

Win these...

ContestPrize_zps40f15332.jpg?t=1367194336

Alright then... Good luck & let's get started!

Here's my submission:

VikingHome-1_zpsc4435b96.jpg?t=1367194574

VikingsRoad-1_zps75832e9e.jpg?t=1367194554

One thing you gotta do is take down your entry, and have everyone submit their entry to you.

I realize that I couldn't possibly win, so I put in an entry just to get the ball rolling. I also wanted this contest to be fair and out in the open.

Submitting designs to me might have some members wondering if I'm rigging this. I think the members should see everything & vote on a winner.

One thing you gotta do is take down your entry, and have everyone submit their entry to you.

I realize that I couldn't possibly win, so I put in an entry just to get the ball rolling. I also wanted this contest to be fair and out in the open.

Submitting designs to me might have some members wondering if I'm rigging this. I think the members should see everything & vote on a winner.

No, you need to have people submit their entries to you, and then post them in a photobucket album or something like that. Then that way people can vote.

I think we should be able to include pants and helmets, because those are 2/3 of the uniform and often those can make or break the set.

I realize this. However, we're only doing the jersey. I plan on separate helmet & pants contests.

You need to have the whole uniform in a contest. It is completely pointless to do pants and helmet contests. Sorry if I'm sounding like an @$$hole, but I'm just trying to help.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

No, you need to have people submit their entries to you, and then post them in a photobucket album or something like that. Then that way people can vote.

I think we should be able to include pants and helmets, because those are 2/3 of the uniform and often those can make or break the set.

I realize this. However, we're only doing the jersey. I plan on separate helmet & pants contests.

You need to have the whole uniform in a contest. It is completely pointless to do pants and helmet contests. Sorry if I'm sounding like an @$$hole, but I'm just trying to help.

Please, don't take this the wrong way... While I appreciate your suggestions, the contest is for a jersey. Nothing more. If you feel that strongly about having it your way, then you might consider running your own contest and donating the prize. "Pointless" is "your" point of view. If you don't approve, don't participate. Your first suggestion is a good idea. I'll create an album for all to see. When the contest ends, the vote will begin.

Isn't there rules on contests? Like someone who starts one has to have been here longer than 5 minutes or something?

The rules are at the top, in the first post.

What is the rest of your post supposed to mean? Spell it out for me.

He means you should probably wait more than half a month to start a contest.

StLouisCardinals.png

CowboysClassic_zpsb3d9923d.png

#9 LSU vs. TCU

Isn't there rules on contests? Like someone who starts one has to have been here longer than 5 minutes or something?

The rules are at the top, in the first post.

What is the rest of your post supposed to mean? Spell it out for me.

He means you should probably wait more than half a month to start a contest.

Wow. I can't even give something away with out someone making a snide remark.

Is that really how it works here? Have I breached some form of forum ediquette? My post count not high enough? Nobody likes me? I'm a noob?

I am not a professional contest holder. None the less, I started a contest, offered a prize, and this is how it gets received? Have I just been greeted by the Contest Police Department? This correlation between a member's join date and the lack of common courtesy received is really getting old.

Thanks for chiming in, but I think I'd prefer McCall to respond.

Why would I wait half a month to do anything here?

Wasn't the Competition Council established to stop something like this from occurring? I know it hasn't been active for years, well before I was on... (Why is that still pinned?).

Is that really how it works here? Have I breached some form of forum ediquette? My post count not high enough? Nobody likes me? I'm a noob?

I am not a professional contest holder. None the less, I started a contest, offered a prize, and this is how it gets received? Have I just been greeted by the Contest Police Department? This correlation between a member's join date and the lack of common courtesy received is really getting old.

Aside from the whole contest council thing (like I said, don't know the whole story, but from what I've gathered, contests used to get abused a lot) this site has had some issues with trolls in the past few years. It's pretty much gotten to the point where nobody trusts anybody who is even remotely new. Give it time.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Wasn't the Competition Council established to stop something like this from occurring? I know it hasn't been active for years, well before I was on... (Why is that still pinned?).

Aside from the whole contest council thing (like I said, don't know the whole story, but from what I've gathered, contests used to get abused a lot) this site has had some issues with trolls in the past few years. It's pretty much gotten to the point where nobody trusts anybody who is even remotely new. Give it time.

I don't get it, Lafarge. With what do I need to be trusted? Am I supposed to hit the "post" button 9,000 times before I'm taken seriously, or shown some common courtesy? I'm finding out really quick that this forum isn't any different from any other. Oh wait! I got it! I'm making the mistake of trying to run a legitimate contest, in opposition to this popularity contest. What, are some posters worried that they might get screwed out of a couple decals? If I was asking for an entry fee, I could understand. This is insults my intelligence. I understand that respect is earned. But common courtesy costs nothing.

I don't get it, Lafarge. With what do I need to be trusted? Am I supposed to hit the "post" button 9,000 times before I'm taken seriously, or shown some common courtesy? I'm finding out really quick that this forum isn't any different from any other. Oh wait! I got it! I'm making the mistake of trying to run a legitimate contest, in opposition to this popularity contest. What, are some posters worried that they might get screwed out of a couple decals? If I was asking for an entry fee, I could understand. This is insults my intelligence. I understand that respect is earned. But common courtesy costs nothing.

I believe the issue lays with the fact that certain rules were put in place long ago out of necessity. Entries from contests were being stolen and used elsewhere for profit (or not, not really the point). While you are obviously not trying to do that, there has just been a fairly strict way to set up contests. Even though 90% of the posters here range from amateurs to extreme-amateurs, the handful or so (and rapidly growing) of professionals, to say the least, do work that is worth very good compensation, and have no motivation to participate when their work is at risk of being stolen. We like to have our contests as more of an event, if I may say so. Usually they are announced ahead of time and carefully planned. There have been alot of brand new users who show up and announce some idiotic contest that never goes anywhere. This is another reason for said procedures.

I've been babbling now so let me wrap it up by saying do not be offended. Do not take anything personal. It's just the way this has been done for a while now. Not saying everything is perfect, but it has proven to be necessary.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Wow. This thread went to crap really fasy. Sorry, cellar. This is the most pretentious forum on the web sometimes. I believe you had only the best intentions.

Wow. This thread went to crap really fasy. Sorry, cellar. This is the most pretentious forum on the web sometimes. I believe you had only the best intentions.

Hi Cole.

Yeah.... Never saw that coming. "Pretentious" is an understatement. All I was interested in doing was having some fun. I thought having a prize might attract some attention. The only attention I got was a couple of drive-by's, with attitude. You are correct, too. I had nothing but the best of intentions. Oh well. Thanks for stopping by.

It's not being pretentious. Rules were set to keep things from getting out of hand. No one's doubting your intentions, but its also not fair to waive the rules for just any someone just because they have "good intentions". The rules are there for everybody to follow. I honesty couldn't remember what the rules were i just knew there were some from when others have tried to start contests.

And no, I'm not meta-modding, if anyone's curious.

Archived