Instagram Logo Tweak

Cujo

I find this a slight downgrade. Aside from the "I" potentially reading as a "G," the old script had a bit of charm to it from the uneven weight lines. It felt like a very custom script. The new one feels too much like they just plugged in a similar font and ran with it.

I actually have the opposite impression. The old script felt like a font to me (and I believe it was). Each character appears to be separate from the others without smooth connections that you expect from a script. Only the 'a' and 'g' happen to come together properly.

The new logo actually appears designed with each piece of the script given attention.

That said, I do understand what you mean about the "charm" of the logo. I think it would have been nice if they would have given it a bit more of a handwritten feel. I believe it's custom designed but if you look at the similar letters (the two 'a's and the 'g', and the 'n' and the 'm'), you can see that they feature the exact same features. In actual handwriting, try as we may, no letter looks exactly a like. That subtle sort of difference could have given it the charm the new version lacks.

Nonetheless, I think this is a rather large upgrade.

If by charm, you means flaws...then yes, the old one has charm. Just like the new college football playoff logos have charm.

The new script is a best improvement. The consistency and rhythm really make it outstanding.

• 4 weeks later...

I like this change, it almost looks like the logo's moving from neighborhood coffee shop to a professional company.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

from BrandNew, and as usual i agree with Armin. full article here: http://www.undercons...am_wordmark.php (props to Mackey Saturday, i always enjoy his work)

"The previous wordmark was typeset out of the box using Billabong. Not the most horrible of 1950s script typefaces but also not necessarily the best one, especially that capital β€œI”. I always appreciate a company dropping a stock font in exchange for a custom-drawn one. Even more so when it’s well done. The change here is a wonderful evolution that transforms the well-known wordmark into something that feels similar but definitely looks (and reads) better, even keeping the quirkiness of the β€œI”. The new upright script flows perfectly from character to character and then has enough for one last little kick in the flourish of the β€œm”. This might seem like a small, meaningless change but it lifts Instagram from one-hit-wonder app to what it actually is, a lifestyle brand."

Β 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE Β / Β MEDIUMΒ  / Β DRIBBBLE

Archived