Nassau Coliseum to be renovated... AFTER the Islanders leave

Viper

I found this story, strangely enough, on my favorite blog for indoor lacrosse. Apparently three of the four developers bidding to redevelop the Coliseum have expressed interest in putting an NLL team there. A relocated AHL franchise would also be a strong possibility.

Ironically, one of those developers is Bruce Ratner, whose Barclays Center the Islanders will be moving into once their Coliseum lease expires.

CCSLC signature.png

And if Ratner's proposal wins out, he has pledged that the Islanders would play 6 home games each season at the renovated Coliseum.

EDIT: source: http://snyislanders.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/nassau-coliseum-media-book.pdf

In maintaining the venue’s historic connection to the New York Islanders, NEC would schedule at least six regular season home games at the Coliseum per year, in addition to making it home to a professional minor league hockey team.

At this point its one of those things where I'll believe it when I see it.

They've been talking about renovating the Coliseum for two decades now. My question is which is going to happen first. The Coliseum being renovated, or the Meadowlands mall opening?

They've been talking about renovating the Coliseum for two decades now. My question is which is going to happen first. The Coliseum being renovated, or the Meadowlands mall opening?

Maybe by the time the Coliseum is renovated/replaced, the Islanders' Barclays Center lease will be up and they can come back home. :D

The budget for renovations would be far far lower for tier-two leagues like NLL/AHL which makes such a renovation feasible.

The same thing happened in Winnipeg when the Jets 1.0 left... the next season the Winnipeg Arena gained club seats, a club lounge and a lounge at ice level, none of which it had when the NHL was still around.

And if Ratner's proposal wins out, he has pledged that the Islanders would play 6 home games each season at the renovated Coliseum.

On another thread, I suggested that the Isles should go for a full-on Brooklyn-centric rebrand and keep the 80s uniforms as an alternate. Those six games would be the perfect excuse to trot them out.

But yeah, I'll believe it when it happens, and such...

Xanadu is all but dead.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived