our own version of Around the horn

stimpy

Old Griffey again? No, not quite.. cuz he is well, older. not that it is bad, its just he was soo good young, now he has to deal with injuries, etc. He is still and will be an awesome pleyer. This wouldnt even be a discussion if he hadnt been injured the past few years.

Griffey is always an all-star as long as he is healthy. He's just that type of player.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iowafan-7

intheend-6

josh182-6

paynomind-7

final topic of the round, the one with the lowest points at the end of the round is eliminated.

Tampa bay devil rays are on an 11 game win streak,

1. how many years before they make the playoffs?

2. can they pass boston or new york in the AL east?

3 what happened to the O's and the blue jays who were supposed to do so good this year and keep up with the red sox and the yankees?

You mean, next three topics?

The devil Rays will make the playoffs the year they switch divisions. They are unfortunately in a tough division, in a sport with a long regular season, so streaks like this really end up meaning hardly anything. They have to hope for a rare set of circumstances: the Yankees or Red Sox sucking, and neither the Jays nor the O's having a team at all. That simply hasn't happened in a LONG time, and I don't see it happening again, until either Steinbrenner dies, or the Sox run out of money trying to chase the god-forsaken Yankees. They absolutely will NOT pass the Yankees or Red Sox in their current iterations. If injuries decimate one of them, or they give up their chance for the pennant, and trade everyone away, the Rays could pass them, but this is the Yankees and Red Sox we are talking about here. The two most determined and dogged franchises in baseball. Neither will quit, and both are so stacked with talent top to bottom, injuries might put them out of the pennant, but still capable of holding their current 10.5 game lead (Yankees) and 6.5 game lead (sox) The Rays won 10 in a row, and are still that far out. Even the Rays call up of BJ Upton will be too little against the two AL powerhouses.

The O's and the Jays had two problems - being overblown to begin with, and playing in a killer division. Neither team is awful, but neither is as good as people were hyping them to be. Plus, you could take the third best team in the AL and put them in the AL east, and they'd finish third. The division is simply too strong.

I also want to say, stimpy is doing a terrific job, awarding points in the true Max Kellerman style.. at whim, at random, and based upon not only good points, but points he agrees with. Also, stimpy is a very powerful, handsome man. :P

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

1. It's going to be a very long long time before the Rays make the playoffs. This streak really means nothing when you start like the Rays did and have to compete with the Red Sox and the Yankees. There is no way it can be done.

2. I think they could pass Boston, but the Yankees are just too good and too much for the Rays. As much as it would please me personally to see the Yanks fall to the Devil Rays, it just isn't going to happen. The Red Sox are within reach though, they could falter here and there and if the Rays can't put together and good season they can catch the Red Sox based on the belief that they can do it. I've always been told that you should always beat the bad teams, but if you let the bad teams hang around long enough, they start believing and that's when they cause trouble.

3. Well the Blue Jays really arn't that good. I would have predicted them to finish behind the Orioles in the divison and I don't think that Tampa Bay is going to falter enough for the Blue Jays to finish ahead of them in the divison. The Orioles are probbaly going to finish behind the Rays as well. They just don't seem to be putting all the right peices in place at this time. I think that the Rays will end the season in third while finishing modestly ahead of the Orioles in fourth and the Blue Jays will get passed up by the Orioles at some point in time.

sig09.jpg

Devil Rays wont be making the playoffs anytime soon, the yankees and Red Sox would probably try anythig to put an end to any run they have, by spending more money and getting better players. The D-Rays can only go so far with what they have now, sure they are on the rise, but how far can they go, and how long will it take them. The division is too tough.

2. Are you talkin this year? Well, barring a major collapse by one of the teams, no. no. The Drays woiuld have to keep this up all season long, which I dont see happeneing, they will be in a slump for a while, that alone killing the hopes I'm sure.

3. To me, the Jays and O's have been underachievers for years. they seem like they should be good, you see them coming up on the schedule, thinkin this might a tought series, but it usually isnt. They both seem like big dogs, with all bark and no bite. Yes, a strong division could be a factor, but I seriously dont see them doing much better eslewhere.

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I waited and i guess Intheend is not posting do he loses.

Iowafan-8

intheend-ELIMINATED

josh182-7

paynomind-8

The nba draft, who 'won', who 'lost' and what rookies do you think may become nba superstars in the future.

I'm gonna go out and preict the the Bobcats won BIG TIME, Okafor will be something special in this league. It is too early to tell about the Magic and Howard, but right now it looks like a big gamble, and as a team that has been struggling for years, I dont think they should have taken that gamble. Also, I didnt think Luol Deng would drop that far to Phoenix.. they got a good steal there too. I dont know why Chicago took Ben Gordon so early, they must have REALLY wanted him, i saw him as a mid first rounder. And why did Jameer Nelson drop so far? I would ahve picked him over a high schooler any day. He was a steal as well... the Magic got that right when they traded for him. And i'm gonna go out and say that Livingston will be a star, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon enough.

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Winners: Chicago and the Clippers. Chicago got Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, and Chris Duhon with their 3 picks (not counting Jackson Vroman who was dealt to Phoenix). All have college experience and were highly touted college players at that. They could be looking at immediate production out of all three if they can find their way through NBA life. The Clippers went out and got two very good point guards to fill in where Andre Miller left off before leaving for Denver. They also got Lionel Chalmers in the second round, a guy who has experience from a college team that went deep into the NCAA tournament.

Losers: Minnesota and Toronto. Minnesota forfeited their pick (cause of Joe Smith deal) and only pick was Blake Stepp, who allthough a four year starter and second team All-American during his college years, will probably not see a lot of playing time in the NBA (ever). Toronto took a two very questionable players. They took Rafael Araujo at number eight which in my mind was way to high for that guy. They got Albert Miralles later and I'm guessing that maybe he could end up being a sleeper of this draft, but that's me going on a long shot. And they traded to get Pape Sow another big kid (Their draft picks weigh 280, 250, and 242). Maybe if they put them all out on the court together and stick them in the middle of the lane no one will be able to get there, but I don't think the Raptors had a very good draft.

Future Superstars: I think the top four picks are all bound to make some noise in the future, Okefor being the biggest question mark cause of his health with his back. But after that I think the rest of the draft may be role players at best. Luol Deng, Luke Jackson, and Al Jefferson being the best of the rest.

sig09.jpg

Sorry, why dont you let someone into this in my place... the subjects have gotten a little off my radar, and i'm crazy busy at work.

Thanks for letting me play! It was fun!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Sorry, why dont you let someone into this in my place... the subjects have gotten a little off my radar, and i'm crazy busy at work.

Thanks for letting me play! It was fun!

I'll take his place if its alright with you

Todd Bertuzzi-Does he deserve to go to jail? will he play hockey again?

First off let me start by saying this is getting a little too infrequent.

But secondly. Todd Bertuzzi probably should be punished with jail time. Just because it happens on ice in a league where fighting happens (a lot) dosn't mean he shouldn't be punished. Bertuzzi attacked a defenseless person and in the world outside the arena that is called assault. Therefore Bertuzzi should be punished for his actions and he will spend time in jail, I think it will be a shame if he gets off on this. That said, after he's done with his jail time he'll never see professional ice again. I'm sure though he'll be able to maybe find some pick-up hockey if he wanted to though.

Deserves Jail - Yes

Play Hockey Again - Not Pro Hockey

sig09.jpg

Todd Bertuzzi-Does he deserve to go to jail? will he play hockey again?

No, Todd Bertuzzi does not deserve to go to jail. I am against any criminal charges against actions that happen between two players in any professional sports game. I am not saying that what he did was right, but he was sticking up for a team captain, and when your playing a sport, you get into the heat of the battle, and you do things that aren't called for, and maybe things that you might not have normally done. To send someone to jail and ruin their career for this? No, but if Moore can no longer play professional hockey with the NHL, then yes, I think Bertuzzi should be banned from the NHL for life. He's already lost over $500,000 in fines, and his team has been fined around $250,000 I think.

So basically, if Moore doesn't play again, then Bertuzzi doesn't play again, but no jail time at all. This is like charging Roger Clemens with assualt for hitting Piazza in the head with a baseball, or attempted assualt or something like that for the bat incident.....come on, its professional sports....fighting and violence is part of hockey. Always has been, always will be.

Sticking up for your teammate is no excuse to get out of jail time. Especially when Bertuzzi comes up and attacks the unknowing and defenseless Moore. When someone dose something to your brother, then you go beat that guy up and beat the crap out of him because he started it with your brother and you were standing up for your brother? No, you're going to get charged with jail time. That type of fighting and violence arn't a part of hockey. Both players know that they are engaging in a fist fight and knowling go at each other with each being able to defend themselves. Sneaking up on someone and pile driving them into the ground is not part of hockey, and that's no excuse for Todd Bertuzzi to use to avoid jail time.

sig09.jpg

SOmetimes we are blinded by the fact that sports stars are 'unhuman' or 'bigger than us'. not true.. gthey are not bigger than the law, and how is an incident on ice on tv different than in an alley with no tv. What he did was wrong and cowardly. If the jury and judge see that jail time fits.. so be it. Will he play hockey again.. OF COURSE. He is a good hockey player.. someone will ALWAYS take the chance.. cough (dennis rodman) cough.

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Of course sports stars are not above the law, but they arent just going around on streets punching people out for no reason. Violence is part of the sport, and once you step on the ice, alot of laws are thrown out. Clemens wasn't arrested for hitting Piazza in the head with a baseball, or for throwing a bat at him. It should be the team or leagues desicion on how to handle things.

Iowafan-13

intheend-ELIMINATED

josh182-10

bosox-10

Trade rumors are going around that randy johnson may be traded. He just got his 4,000th strikeout. will he be traded and if so what team and how many years does this guy actually have left?

Archived