our own version of Around the horn

stimpy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure wether or not there will be a lockout next season. The two sides seem no closer to agreeing on terms but the issues facing the league seem to press the need to come to a labor agreement.

The NHL, it's no secret, has been losing money as of lately, a work stoppage in the NHL would almost gauruntee that when the NHL resumes, that the amount of money lost, nearly 25 million per team, would increase.

With the WHA starting up, NHL fans may not miss the league being gone should the WHA manage to successfully complete a season. And if the WHA begins to succeed while the NHL is at a stoppage, the WHA may take over the NHL's position as the premier hockey league in North America.

I guess my feeling is that the NHL won't have a lockout because the loss caused by the lockout would just be too severe to the NHL.

I think it's up to the owner's though to give ground to the Players Association in these agreements.

sig09.jpg

Lock out? No. It will not happen. It can not happen. It must not happen. Everyone associated with the NHL knows that their sport right now is on the precipice of falling of into obscurity, irrelivance, and bankrupcy.

The two sides simply MUST come to terms, even if the terms are not to everyone's liking. The fans have no tollerance for the absurd dance of millionaires fighting with billionaires. If Oprah and Bill Gates were arguing about hundreds of thousands of dollars, normal people, who make hundreds of dollars a week would tell them both to go to hell. NHL knows this, and knows they risk the very same thing.

Every other startup league in the world is not going to matter one twit to the NHL situation. It is the NHL's game to lose. Swallow pride, make a deal, and retain their thin grasp on being a 'major sport' in the US, or hold out, lock out, walk out to try and get more money, and the money will evaporate right in front of their eyes.

I love my hockey, but they had BETTER not mess this up.

Hockey wont miss a regular season game. They can't afford to.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

No lockout. None. They will come to an agreement at the 'eleventh hour'. The NHL cant eb that stupid to let this happen. The game is already taking a backseat to many other sporting events in America.. this would put them in the hurt bag for a looong time if they do. They hafta realize this, make some compromises/sacrifices, and continue playing!

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I think there will be a lockout because I don't see much effort being put into preventing it right now. And when hockey does have a lockout, it's the end of the NHL and probably the end of hockey being considered a major sport in America in terms of comparisons. There are sports lined up to replace hockey, two of which being Lacrosse (NLL) and possibly soccer (MLS). Both leagues are run very good, and both leagues know their role, right now. Plus, attendance and revenue are up.

Personally, I think Lacrosse will take hockey's role in America as it would be natural for fans to go to another sports that is played in the same arena as hockey. Plus they have some good franchises in hockey towns such as San Jose and Colorado.

Plus, the players can go play in Europe. This game is especially appealing to the quick, and more talented players as European hockey style requires more skill than in America. Alot of players admittedly prefer the European style and you can't give them the option of going to Europe to play because you may lose some of them and the game would totally lack balance between skill and size and ability to hit.

IUe6Hvh.png

Iowafan-5

intheend-3

josh182-4

paynomind-4

Sorry Intheend, I dont believe Soccer or Lacrosse will ever be a more major sport than Hockey in the US

Griffey hit 500th HR yesturday. will he ever be old griffey again? Can he ever put up th numbers he did back in the 90's and will he make the all star team?

Griffey hit 500th HR yesturday. will he ever be old griffey again? Can he ever put up th numbers he did back in the 90's and will he make the all star team?

Two very different questions here...

1) Can Griffey get back to his awesome number-generating ways?

2) Will he make the All Star team?

Let me take them in reverse order.

2) All Star Team making is the single most over rated crap in the world. Folks vote for their hometeam, whoever the press has been pumping, and who they vaguely remember as being good. This is complete BS. Makign the All Star team should be far more difficult than that, and FAR more subjective. I am in favor of changing the all star balloting in a huge way, and reducing the fan portion. Yes, when it comes right down to it, the allstar game should be an exibition of players the fans want to see... but it is no longer about that. It 'means something now' as if to say that the previous description of being 'for the fans' isn't good enough. It is for home field advantage, it is for all-star bonus checks, it is for discussions just liek this. To sum it up, Griffey making the allstar team wont mean a single damn thing about his game, as being elected hardly ever does. So, I say, yes he will make it, because with all this press attention, he will get the votes. Will his numbers hold up? Doesn't matter to his chances of being elected.

1) Griffey never really went away, really. His skill, hi talent, his awesome numbers at the plate per appearance have been fairly steady. I mean, he just hit number 500 at 34 years old. Only 20 players have hit 500 homers and at 34, he is the sixth youngest to reach it. This is without his injury time, recovery time, re-injury, and re-recoveries. I think he is doing phenominally. I think this guy ends up betetr ebfore he gets worse. He has his head screwed on stright, unlike mr. bigot juice-ball Barry. He has a true sweet, perfect swing that should take him long into his career. He is a good fielder. He is not a cancer in the locker room, so he will be welcomed if traded.

Griffey can stay healthy, and can reach hall of fame numbers. And I say he will do it.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think this guy ends up betetr ebfore he gets worse. He has his head screwed on stright, unlike mr. bigot juice-ball Barry. He has a true sweet, perfect swing that should take him long into his career. He is a good fielder. He is not a cancer in the locker room, so he will be welcomed if traded.

Agreed, which is why he's one of my favourite ball players ever. He's had his share of problems in occasionally voicing his discontent (probably largely due to his frustration with injuries), but I've been waiting a long time to see him back in the swing, and I think it might finally be happening. (Let's hope the SI cover doesn't jinx him now.)

EDIT: My bad... forgot this is the simulated TV show... just imagine I was yelling that at my TV set.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Iowafan-5

intheend-3

josh182-4

paynomind-4

Sorry Intheend, I dont believe Soccer or Lacrosse will ever be a more major sport than Hockey in the US

Ok... one thing, don't label this as a version of Around the Horn if it's modeled almost nothing like the television show, because that's what I thought I was getting in to. Around the Horn isn't scored by who's opinion the host agrees with -- it's meant to award points for good arguments and statistical backing, not by up in the air guesses that are based simply on what you want to see. My opinions aren't just up in the air guesses, there's actually proof and reasoning behind my choices. Leagues that are run good will succeed in some manner (ie. MLS, NLL). Tell the 14,007 people that sell out Mammoth games that the league will fail. But oh well, I guess I should go with the popular opinion then --

Hm... I assume you want to hear that he will get back to his old self.

Will Griffey ever be the old Griffey again?

Right now, Ken Griffey Jr. is 34 years old. It's tough to expect a 34 year old man to rebound from 3 seasons worth of injuries and become as good as he was in his prime. Especially considering he was the premiere player in the league in his prime. However, he is just absolutely ripping the cover off of the baseball right now. If he continues to hit at the rate he is at right now, he will be well past Hank Aaron by age 40. He's on pace for 45 this season which should earn him a spot in both the all-star game and the Home Run derby. I think he will put up the numbers he did earlier in his career because he has incredible work ethic. That's all I'm gonna say, I don't want to spend time arguing for something I'll lose because you don't agree with me.

But I will say... somebody better show me some proof that Barry Bonds is on steroids before they use that argument against Bonds. But muscle helps homeruns very little

IUe6Hvh.png

yeah it was a bad argument on yoru part because iti never wil happen, for anyone ot believe lacrosse or soccer will take over hockey is wrong. Lacrosse and soccer may become a mjor sport (if us soccer wins a world cup) but thattl just mean 5 or 6 major sports.

Eh, this game is run like crap. To call it a version of "Around the Horn" is a joke. I'm sorry for having a different opinion than you -- but that doesn't make it wrong or a crappy argument. But to say it'll never happen is retarded because there's two seperate threads talking about how soccer will probably become a main sport.

And you're stupid if you think it'll be horribly difficult for a league that gets worse ratings than the defunct XFL did, is on verge of a strike, and has teams losing money to be overtaken. Baseball had a strike and their attendance suffered for years. They had an actual fan base that they could've afforded to lose. Hockey has a very small one. I'm sorry if a leagues increased revenue isn't a sign of it's success -- however, I feel a well-run league that IS making money CAN overtake the NHL. Especially when it's a well run league, unlike the NHL.

IUe6Hvh.png

You do put up a good argument but it wont happen, liek i said the only way it could happen is if US won a world cup..Americans only liek a sport that they can win it...its true

and i knew someone was gonna get mad because they were losing...its just a game

I'm not mad I'm losing or have lost at all. I'm a little bit upset that I put some time towards formulating my arguments, I presented actual facts and reasoning why I felt that way, I did everything I understood points are award for, just as they are in the real life game, and my effort goes down the drain because you disagree. Oh, and since you're so sure that you're never wrong... how about that Shaq trade and how the Lakers will get nothing from it? Because I believed you docked me wrong because you're sure I would be 'wrong' about that one. What I've heard so far is that the Kings are willing to part with names like Chris Webber and Mike Bibby, the Pacers are willing to consider trading Tinsley, Ron Artest, and Harrington, the Grizzlies are willing to give up some of their big names, the Knicks want him... sure sounds like they'll get nothing for him.

IUe6Hvh.png

Stimpy's kindof got a point--I mean, how many times has someone gotten The Mute when Max disagreed with them? I haven't seen enough of the post-Max hosts to see if they've done things the same way, mind you.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I said i think people are thinking too much of thsi shaq trade...never deducted points. and to believe that MLS or NLL will taek over NHL has a 4 major sport is horrible it may become a major sport but it wont take over NHL

Yeah, Mockba, I see where you're going there -- but look at how points are rewarded. They give a point for a good point, and 2 points for information that you can back up statistically. Look at some of the other responses (I'm not saying all), but some of them are just guesses with no back up information -- and they beat me. Any discussion I ever get into will include me providing statistical information. One can only assume since the statistical backings are there, I have good points, I'm being deducted for opinion. And on a show where you're scoring some 25-30 points, being muted once doesn't matter.

And Stimpy... what qualifies as a major sporting league to you? Obviously ratings don't do it or else the XFL was the 5th major sports league in terms of ratings compared to hockey.

IUe6Hvh.png

It's hard to say wether or not we're going to see the old Griffey again. I think that when this season is over and done he will probably have another 40 home run season.

I think we're never going to see the same Griffey who roamed centerfield for the Mariners and was named player of the decade for the 90's. A few seasons cut short by injury and his body just isn't the same defensively. Offensively, he's still much the same hitter, still getting base hits in the .275 to .300 range and by the time his career is over and done with he'll have a 650 to 700 career jacks.

He may be 34, but he is still in his prime even with the injuries. He will make the All-Star team this year because well he's Griffey. He's popular with the fans, he's got media attention, and he's having a pretty good season.

sig09.jpg

Archived