NFL jersey numbers

Slater

I suppose this would apply to other sports as well, but why are sewn-on numbers preferred to heat-pressed? Is it a matter of durability or just appearance? To the best of my memory, the Rams were the last holdouts on heat-pressed numbers and they didn't look too bad on their old royal blue/yellow outfits.

probably both durability and perception of value. i think the sewn on numbers (tackle twill) really have a great, high quality look to them. the Seahawks are now using a bit of a different technique where the outline of the number is sewn on top of the base layer. .

ektn.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Related question - the assignment by position rules still in effect? Lots of WRs wearing single digits in preseason.

Most of the people you're seeing with single digits are people that are going to hard pressed to make the team. If they end up on the team they'll switch to the standard range of WR numbers. During the preseason there's just too many people taking the field in a single game to adhere to the standard ranges.

jNTsTyQ.png

probably both durability and perception of value. i think the sewn on numbers (tackle twill) really have a great, high quality look to them. the Seahawks are now using a bit of a different technique where the outline of the number is sewn on top of the base layer. .

ektn.jpg

Teams have been using this type of lettering, called "kiss cut" since at least 2003. It isn't new, nor is it exclusive to the Seahawks or even NFL teams.

Related question - the assignment by position rules still in effect? Lots of WRs wearing single digits in preseason.

Most of the people you're seeing with single digits are people that are going to hard pressed to make the team. If they end up on the team they'll switch to the standard range of WR numbers. During the preseason there's just too many people taking the field in a single game to adhere to the standard ranges.

I know, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a memo. Rules can be changed.

ektn.jpg

Teams have been using this type of lettering, called "kiss cut" since at least 2003. It isn't new, nor is it exclusive to the Seahawks or even NFL teams.

For example, the Broncos use kiss cut numbers. This is from a 2011 Daniel Fells gamer:

nUVhgC8.jpg

qBZi7wO.jpg

And the Avalanche have been using kiss cut numbers since 2005. This is from a 2005-06 Brett McLean gamer:

vMZ5XPi.jpg

BXgo3pt.jpg

ektn.jpg

interesting. i had no idea

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I know, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a memo. Rules can be changed.

The rules were always relaxed during the preseason, when teams have around 75 players dressed for play. One the regular season starts, players are reassigned appropriate position-specific numbers.

It even extends to the officials. Any preseason official with a number higher than 135 is a trainee.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived