2013/14 International Football Thread

From Soccer Aid, Boris Johnson everybody.

That was actually a charity game from 2006 and was also not one of the Soccer Aid matches but in fact a recreation of the 1966 world cup final.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bad, it popped up on my twitter feed as such and I did't really care to research into it.

Not an issue pal. Still funny regardless of whether it is topical or not. Soccer Aid and this charity game are similar in what entertainment they provide but I feel that Soccer Aid is a much better product, organised better and features better ex-pros. It also raised over £4million for UNICEF this time around.

Just wanted to clarify this as it's hard to not come across as a d**k when correcting people on the internet sometimes.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Fantastic article by the WSJ on Klinsmann and the search for the "American" style of play.

Before Mr. Klinsmann took the reins of the American team three years ago, playing like an American meant, for the most part, sticking to an assigned position and reacting to the other team's attack. To Mr. Klinsmann, a former German star and national-team coach who moved to the U.S. in 1998, the strategy struck him as wholly un-American.

Mr. Klinsmann, soccer's Alexis de Tocqueville, wanted to build a winner, but he wasn't interested in teaching Americans how to play like anyone else. He wanted to create a squad that represented what he sees as the defining American characteristic—a visceral hatred of being dictated to.

"American nature is to take the game to our opponents. We don't want to just react to them," he explained in an interview last month near his home in Southern California.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/with-his-eye-on-the-world-cup-soccer-coach-jurgen-klinsmann-overhauls-team-usa-1401899734

Well, it's official now:

10367557_765130976879153_571415397098842

Thoughts Gooner?

Piers Morgan is going bananas on Twitter already.

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan

First off :censored: Piers Morgan that test! He's not s true Gooner, he doesn't even know what it is to be a supporter of Arsenal FC. Hell Arsenal don't give two :censored:s what he has to say.

As for Fàbregas going to Chelsea...who cares really. This is the same footballer for three straight summmer transfer Windows was getting Barcelona to shop for him with Wenger finally giving in for £35m. Yes we always had a first offer buy back clause but Wenger turn him down right away saying his midfield was strong enough already (I wouldn't go that far). Players like Fàbregas, van Perdue, Nasri who leave for money rather play for a club like Arsenal just need to disappear and be forgotten. We Gooners will make his return trips to the Emirates a hard place to play.

Archived