2013/14 International Football Thread

Pele played most of his career in South America where there wasn't continental footballer of the year competition. So if you are basing if a player wins numerous footballer of the year awards then he is one of the best, then that doesn't hold any clout to true talent and goal scoring ability of a player.

Don't get me wrong, Platini was a very talented footballer in his prime. No doubting that! I just don't see him being rated higher than Pele.

But in the end, we can agree to disagree on this matter. That's what's great about football: the discussions that occur in newspapers, on the streets, in the pubs, on tv about the beautiful game and the men who played it. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

Cheers mate!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really hard to compare Pele and Messi because the condition of players are different from the 1960's/70's to today. Talent wise, I think they are equal but fitness wise I would give the edge to Messi. But if you compare what each player has won, the only difference is that Pele was won a World Cup and Messi hasn't.

But I think Argentina might make some big moves in the World Cup this time and push for the Semifinal or even the Final. It'll be a huge task for them but I think they have a slim chance.

No doubting Argentina's resolve in their preparations for the World Cup. On the other side of the coin, Italy drew with Luxembourg 1-1 taking the Azzuri to their winless streak to seven matches. And here I thought Italy would be the cream of Group D

Congratulations to tiny Gibraltar who won their first match since becoming a full member of Uefa. Beating Malta 1-0.

glory10.png

Today the mystery stop in the Rangers FC North American tour was announced ... Ottawa :D

I figured it would be since there was some doubts for the new stadium just a couple weeks ago, but In still excited. I am definitely going to that.

Today the mystery stop in the Rangers FC North American tour was announced ... Ottawa :D

I figured it would be since there was some doubts for the new stadium just a couple weeks ago, but In still excited. I am definitely going to that.

Excellent news for Ottawa and for us football supporters here in Victoria :D

Adnan Januzaj has had his debut for Belgium ruled invalid - and Romelu Lukaku has lost his hat-trick - after Fifa downgraded last month's 5-1 win over Luxembourg.

Belgium boss Marc Wilmots made seven substitutions during the match on 26 May, but Fifa rules only allow six.

Fifa has now demoted it from an official friendly to a practice match.

Lukaku is back down to six Belgium goals, while Nacer Chadli and Kevin De Bruyne also lose one each.

Wilmots made five changes at half-time, a sixth in the 61st minute, and the seventh in the 77th when defender Jan Vertonghen was replaced by Nicolas Lombaerts.

Goalkeeper Sammy Bossut has also lost his first international cap from the record books.

glory10.png

So what, are we now going to make any match in which the referee makes a mistake invalid and demote it to a "practice match?"

Let's go back and deem the 2010 WC match between Germany and England a practice match! Or better yet, the 1966 WC final!

This is stupid.

6fQjS3M.png

I'll be attending the Spain-El Salvador international friendly at FedEx Field this Saturday (and probably the DC United-Columbus Crew match after it because one ticket purchase gets you both ends of the "doubleheader"). It should be a blast!

25yzwqg.png

I was hoping Rangers were playing the Whitecaps, especially since they're playing in Victoria on the same trip. It would be be the only way id be able to see my favorite teams' historic rivals in my lifetime. Old Firm games may never happen again if Rangers can't get their :censored: together financially, and seeing and old firm in person is near impossible due to the demand of tickets if it happened and their current league situation

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

We never had this in England. Electrical storm delaying a game. England Honduras match suspended due storm.

glory10.png

We never had this in England. Electrical storm delaying a game. England Honduras match suspended due storm.

Chiles and his fellow buffoons padding like mad in the tunnel is strangely compelling television.

We learnt from a guy introduced as the stadium manager (but who actually wasn't) that in the US they call these sort of storms 'thunderstorms', and the referee confirmed that the reason he was in the radar room was to look at the radar.

Not the best showing from Spain against El Salvador today; La Roja could hardly penetrate the El Salvadoran defense in the first half, and Cesc Fabregàs missed a penalty. Substitutions helped Spain in the second half, in which David Villa scored two gimme goals to push Spain to a 2-0 victory.

The Spanish defense was virtually impenetrable, allowing El Salvador essentially zero chances, but that's sort of expected against a team of that caliber. The Spanish attack will have to step up its game in Brazil in order to ensure Spain's advancement past the Group of Death.

25yzwqg.png

Archived