New San Jose Sharks concept

Roger Clemente

With the new uniform unveiling this week, I realized that the simple teal on black works so nicely with no orange in it. Mind you, as much as I like the set, it's still far from perfect.

One thing I noticed is that the current Ducks identity seems to work well for a team named the Sharks. If you were to replace all traces of gold with teal, it could even work for San Jose (even though they obviously wouldn't use it.) That said, I tried altering the Ducks third jersey into something different for the Sharks. And here we are:

Sharks-00001_zpsfd361b23.png

I find it also ties in a bit with the pre-Edge set as well a bit. What do you think?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The lack of Orange ruins it. I don't think people understand the importance of the accent factor. You have to have an accent color. The thing about the Sharks is that teal embodies the feel of the ocean and a sharks kingdom, the black creates a feel of strength and anger. And the Orange is the eye catcher. It takes the teal and black jersey and pulls you in like, "Oh whats that soft flash of Orange I see?" Its an accent because it pulls you into the jersey's design.

Colorado Born and Raised!!

2gm6.png
LasVegasBowl_zpsdb9fb995.png

I disagree with the need for an accent color. That being said, I wonder how this would look with orange in between the white and black of the home instead of teal, and instead of white on the road.

Or use silver in there instead of the body color.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...

The lack of Orange ruins it. I don't think people understand the importance of the accent factor. You have to have an accent color. The thing about the Sharks is that teal embodies the feel of the ocean and a sharks kingdom, the black creates a feel of strength and anger. And the Orange is the eye catcher. It takes the teal and black jersey and pulls you in like, "Oh whats that soft flash of Orange I see?" Its an accent because it pulls you into the jersey's design.

The Sharks for the first 16 years in the league had no orange in their uniform, aside from the logo and no one seemed to care. If memory serves me correctly it was one of the top selling sweaters in the NHL. It also wasn't so much just the orange being added it was that they replaced the gray with the orange. Then on top of that they decided (and seemingly failed) to make orange their secondary color - it's one thing to add the orange, it's another thing to try and change what was already working in the teal and black.

Now while the media guide for 2013-2014 still says their colors are Deep Pacific Teal, Burnt Orange, Black and white; the status of the new uniforms indicate a shift in the tides and going back to their Teal and black color roots.

As for the concept - everything is awesome, except for the fact was used from the Ducks third jersey design. :)

Archived