Origins behind the Green Bay Packers iconic “G” logo

theskywatcher

Is it just me or does the Bears "C" borrow from the elongated football shape as well? And for a team so close in proximity seems weird to be similar in approach.

364.gif

I thought they used a toilet seat as inspiration for that logo. :P

I thought they stole it from the Reds who play in Cincy which I've been told is a toilet.

Out of curiosity, who was it that used that logo first, the Bears or Reds?

Is it just me or does the Bears "C" borrow from the elongated football shape as well? And for a team so close in proximity seems weird to be similar in approach.

364.gif

I thought they stole it from the Reds who play in Cincy which I've been told is a toilet.

Packers! :D

zz02.jpg

New-Black-G.jpg

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

I've always preferred the other Lombardi-era logo:

Lombardi_GB_cap1.jpg

1962_VinceLombardi_sidelines.jpg

So much better.

Agreed... although I'm quite positive I've seen pictures of a minor league baseball team from Green Bay wearing a similar deisgn.

Agreed... although I'm quite positive I've seen pictures of a minor league baseball team from Green Bay wearing a similar deisgn.

This jersey is the from the 1940s Green Bay Bluejays, a Milwaukee Brewers farm club.

1941_GreenBayBlueSox_front.jpg

1940sgreenbaybluejaysje.jpg

This cap is the same team, from a couple years later.

1959_BluejaysCap.jpg

364.gif

Actually, The University of Chicago was the first to wear that. Here they are wearing it in 1898:

apf4-00674r.jpg

364.gif

Actually, The University of Chicago was the first to wear that. Here they are wearing it in 1898:

apf4-00674r.jpg

Curious if the Cardinals wore it also before going to the double C.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

1959_BluejaysCap.jpg

The Packers centered overlap / interlock is miles ahead of this method.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

364.gif

apf4-00674r.jpg

Curious if the Cardinals wore it also before going to the double C.

History of the "wishbone C":

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/12724/the-uni-watch-history-of-the-wishbone-c

Archived