Big East Basketball Concept

mvk

With the new basketball conference kicking off in 2 months, I thought I'd do a Big East basketball concept, with a couple of new basketball league logos and possibly some team uniform concepts.

As for the league logos, I wanted to give the league a NY identity so that when you think NY hoops, you think of the Big East. Retaining Madison Square Garden was vital for the league championship tournament I believe, and the city has a rich hoops history, as well as a big recruiting base.

belogo.jpg

Secondary logo featuring schools -

bigeastlogo.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

That would make an AWESOME logo...for the tournament.

As a conference logo, I'd want elements from ALL the major cities they represent (not only NYC but DC, Philly, Chicago, Cincy, Omaha, Indy, Milwaukee, etc.)

bYhYmxh.png

Thanks for the feedback, I'm a Pitt fan, but I've always associated the Big East Conference with New York City. I think, being a non-football conference, they need to latch onto the 'Media Capital of the World' identity that comes with New York City. I can see how the midwestern teams would want to be better represented in the logo, but I also believe they would be more than happy to reap the recruiting benefits of being in 'New York City's Conference'.

Anyway, here is my first uniform, it's more of a traditional concept that combines the Allen Iverson era with the Ewing/Mourning eras, I think.

GTWNgrey.jpg

I really like this, it really gives off the feel of the feel of a basketball-first league. Something it seems the Big East never tried to do.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Next up is St. John's. I wanted to harken back to the 80's and the Mullin/Berry/Jackson/Wennington days with their uniform. I added the side stripes to jazz it up a little bit, but I think this simple concept works well for them.

stjohns.jpg

The league's headquarters were in Providence, so it's kind of funny that you think "New York" first.

The headquarters are now in New York.

And one of the biggest issues of the conference was that the leadership always came from Providence, and centered around Providence. That wasn't an issue when Dave Gavitt was running things, but his successors were only put in position because they were Providence guys. They should've went full on NYC once they moved into the Garden for the tournament.

Last one for tonight, Seton Hall, going with an over/under front jersey script, but otherwise cleaning it up and making it nice and simple. If you can't tell, I'm more in favor of the traditional or classic uniforms, rather then the striping and modernized look teams are going with now. Anyway, here are the Seton Hall Pirates -

SetonHall.jpg

These are really good. I agree that the logo would make a GREAT tournament logo.

Thanks. While I really like the logo as is, and what it represents, maybe I'll try to come up with a newer conference concept logo to move the above to tournament logos.

All the uniforms are basic, either a simple side panel or trim on the bottom with a basic Microsoft word font and numbers. Nothing really unique about them. And I know you're trying to "harken" back to the day, but they're all too similar and don't really show anything except a lack of diversity among the schools.

All the uniforms are basic, either a simple side panel or trim on the bottom with a basic Microsoft word font and numbers. Nothing really unique about them. And I know you're trying to "harken" back to the day, but they're all too similar and don't really show anything except a lack of diversity among the schools.

I used the fonts and colors mandated by each colleges identity guides, which can be found online. Actually, Georgetown's isn't the exact font, but it is very similar to the one they used when Allen Iverson was there. St. John's uses Book Antiqua, Seton Hall uses Garamond. I agree it isn't unique, but I'm trying to stay true to their idenities and traditions.

Here is my Villanova uniform update/concept. Switched up the stripes that they had down the side a few years back and put them across the chest, giving them a bit of a different look. The shorts are a tad bit plain, I might think about putting the logo on the sides or on the front of one side, like I did with Seton Hall.

VILLANOVA.jpg

That would make an AWESOME logo...for the tournament.

As a conference logo, I'd want elements from ALL the major cities they represent (not only NYC but DC, Philly, Chicago, Cincy, Omaha, Indy, Milwaukee, etc.)

This. Think how the Mets logo isn't a real skyline, but a hodgepodge of elements from all 5 Burroughs, yet still says "New York." If I were you, I'd try your skyline, but with the Empire State Building, the Sears/Willis Tower, the Milwaukee Art Museum, Phily City Hall.... basically, the most distinctive/iconic building from each city. You might run into some problems for Omaha or Indy, but with enough research I'm sure you could find something to represent them.

Archived