MLB Expansion: Carolina Hammerheads *Jersey updates*

prrams95

Wow people are either scarred to be critical or have a horrible eye for design.

Theres nothing I hate more than people leaving a comment saying something like that without giving their two cents. Help them out with some ideas if you don't like it.

I don't even know where to begin, start over for starters.

Big talk from a guy who's yet to start a concept thread himself. prrams at least had the gumption to post his work. Where's yours?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Incidentally, this is my first post on this forum. Yay?)

Personally, I really like most of it. The CH logo is fine as is as far as I'm concerned, and I like how you've worked the hammerhead shape into both it and the CAROLINA wordmark. I'm usually not a huge fan of teal (it's alright, but I never fell in love with it like some people did) but if you're going to do a team based around sharks…yeah teal's probably the way to go.

I'm less enthusiastic about the shark fin logo and the jerseys themselves. The shark fin is generic and doesn't really read like a shark fin to me. I can see the shape, I just don't think if I saw it on, say, a hat, I would instantly think, there's a shark fin. I would try to replace it, though I can't think what I'd replace it right now.

The jerseys are just a little bit generic. It will definitely help if you put the new CAROLINA wordmark on them though. I would also use the black for road jerseys, just for the sake of something a little bit unusual, especially since I think the black really looks good with the teal. As for the alts, might I suggest teal jerseys with white logos/scripts/numbering/piping? It might not work, but I figure it's worth a try, in order to separate the alts from what I suggested for the roads, and if you're going to use teal, might as well have a teal jersey.

Overall though I really like what you've done so far. Keep it up.

Theres nothing I hate more than people leaving a comment saying something like that without giving their two cents. Help them out with some ideas if you don't like it.

I don't even know where to begin, start over for starters.

Big talk from a guy who's yet to start a concept thread himself. prrams at least had the gumption to post his work. Where's yours?

Fair enough, I actually really want prrams95 to keep revising it, he can do better i'm sure.

(Incidentally, this is my first post on this forum. Yay?)

Personally, I really like most of it. The CH logo is fine as is as far as I'm concerned, and I like how you've worked the hammerhead shape into both it and the CAROLINA wordmark. I'm usually not a huge fan of teal (it's alright, but I never fell in love with it like some people did) but if you're going to do a team based around sharks…yeah teal's probably the way to go.

I'm less enthusiastic about the shark fin logo and the jerseys themselves. The shark fin is generic and doesn't really read like a shark fin to me. I can see the shape, I just don't think if I saw it on, say, a hat, I would instantly think, there's a shark fin. I would try to replace it, though I can't think what I'd replace it right now.

The jerseys are just a little bit generic. It will definitely help if you put the new CAROLINA wordmark on them though. I would also use the black for road jerseys, just for the sake of something a little bit unusual, especially since I think the black really looks good with the teal. As for the alts, might I suggest teal jerseys with white logos/scripts/numbering/piping? It might not work, but I figure it's worth a try, in order to separate the alts from what I suggested for the roads, and if you're going to use teal, might as well have a teal jersey.

Overall though I really like what you've done so far. Keep it up.

I looked at making a teal jersey but when I tried it, it came out looking to much like the old green jerseys the Devil Rays used to wear so I a went with just a black alt. and regarding putting white on the black jersey I also tried it, it came off to plain and looked better with the teal. But thank you so much for the feed back

pittsburghbanner.jpg

He said with no criticism himself.

I think this is a very good start. The black, white and grey all have a way of making that aqua really pop, which is awesome. I do have a few suggestions, though:

Your CH-Hammerhead. I get what you're trying to do, but it doesn't read very well. It's almost there. Maybe if the tail were swishing up, instead of down, it might read more as a C? You've also got some weird gradation/jpeg artifacting going on in the teal bit. Whether or not it was intentional, I'm not sure, but it's distracting to me.

The Carolina script. Again, good, but there's a few details that could be made cleaner. The C has a different stroke than the rest of the mark.

The Fin. Flip it horizontally - people like logos that go to the right. It's naturally how the eye moves when looking at anything, and it also implies "forward progress/momentum." I like the white hashes in the fin itself, but I think the outline could be a little thicker for a bigger impact.

You've got a great foundation here, now finish it :)

The gradation/jpeg you're talking about was intentional, I did it to give a little bit of definition to the logo but i get what you're saying with bringing the tail up to make it look more like a C. The script it self is suppose to look like the body of a hammerhead and I have the fin facing that way because of it. It was a late night idea i decided to post. Regarding the fin logo i have gone back and darkened some areas and thicker outline here is the latest update. I never intended for this to be the primary just part of the logo set I have yet to really make a primary

2mfhwdw.png

pittsburghbanner.jpg

CLICK TO EXPAND THE JERSEYS

Update to the jersey set. Italicized the script to give it less of a plain look and added just a little but of black shading to the teal of the script to add some definition to the jersey. Changed to script to cursive on the away jersey. Changed the Black alt to the away alt and Added an teal jersey with a white version of the script with teal and black trim. My goal was to give something unique to each jersey. Still working on making the C/H logo more of a C and less of an H and also working on a primary. Running into a wall there, everything I come up with seems to "cartoonish." for a primary as always C & C please!

eis9br.png

pittsburghbanner.jpg

I really like the script you got here! Here's a suggestion: how about adding a tail to the end of the "C" in the "Carolina" script? Also, you should try making a "Hammerheads" script because the team name is usually on the home jerseys instead of the city name. Good job!

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

I really like the script you got here! Here's a suggestion: how about adding a tail to the end of the "C" in the "Carolina" script? Also, you should try making a "Hammerheads" script because the team name is usually on the home jerseys instead of the city name. Good job!

I actually am working on an Hammerheads script at the moment. Its just a little difficult because it's such a big name its hard to fit in the jersey to make it look good and not crowded. And thank you before for the suggestion of the cursive script and does look nice on the a grey jersey.

pittsburghbanner.jpg

2ai51fr.png

first crack at it

pittsburghbanner.jpg

2ai51fr.png

first crack at it

Not bad at all!

Have you tried making a cursive logo for that yet? When I make my own jersey concepts, I notice that cursive script takes up slightly less space than non-cursive scripts.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

2ai51fr.png

first crack at it

Not bad at all!

Have you tried making a cursive logo for that yet? When I make my own jersey concepts, I notice that cursive script takes up slightly less space than non-cursive scripts.

The cursive form of Hammerheads doesn't really "flow" well and I think doing an Hammerhead cursive version would be over doing a good thing. I feel I'm just going to leave the one Carolina cursive script as the Road script and leave it at that.

pittsburghbanner.jpg

You have a fairly solid concept coming along here. However, I'd work on the primary logo. A shark fin looks like some BS logo EA would put in the create a team feature for Madden. Perhaps try to make an actual hammerhead as a logo? You could even take the Oakland Athletics route (ala elephant) and add it to the sleeves. Just make it more interesting, if you get my drift.

spacer.png

I really think you need to ditch the tail there's nothing that makes it a hammerhead, and for some reason it makes me think of a mermaid. Try to incorporate the unique shape of a hammerheads head. And I agree with NDFreek the fin is just to generic.

You have a fairly solid concept coming along here. However, I'd work on the primary logo. A shark fin looks like some BS logo EA would put in the create a team feature for Madden. Perhaps try to make an actual hammerhead as a logo? You could even take the Oakland Athletics route (ala elephant) and add it to the sleeves. Just make it more interesting, if you get my drift.

I am working on a primary. I said this in an earlier post that the fin is just a logo in part of the set and really just sort of a place holder at the moment until I finally come up with a primary that doesn't look to cartoonish.

pittsburghbanner.jpg

Alright then, with that being said, your logos are looking 3D. Like Evil G said, make 'em flat. This isn't the NHL Stadium Series, is it? Your script seems to be heading in the right direction, but maybe try whipping up a cursive script. If anything you can use it as a fauxback.

Finally, some minor issues:
-The inside of your black alts is gray. Fix that, make it black. People notice, believe me.

-Make the MLB logo on the back of your jerseys your teams colors and the batter and ball white.

Those are just standard small things that people tend to get nit picky with, me being one of them.

spacer.png

Alright then, with that being said, your logos are looking 3D. Like Evil G said, make 'em flat. This isn't the NHL Stadium Series, is it? Your script seems to be heading in the right direction, but maybe try whipping up a cursive script. If anything you can use it as a fauxback.

Finally, some minor issues:

-The inside of your black alts is gray. Fix that, make it black. People notice, believe me.

-Make the MLB logo on the back of your jerseys your teams colors and the batter and ball white.

Those are just standard small things that people tend to get nit picky with, me being one of them.

There is a cursive script out on the latest updates to the road jersey in case you missed it.

pittsburghbanner.jpg

Archived