The Camelot Football League - Quest for the Holy Grail

pianoknight

About three weeks ago, I re-watched Monty Python's Holy Grail with some friends. Hadn't seen it in years and I started thinking to myself - what if the knights in the film were actually football teams? And thus began my personal quest for the Holy Grail.

I started working on what would eventually become the "Camelot League," a conference of six teams based on Arthur, Bedevere, Galahad, Robin, Lancelot and the aptly named Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Film. Below are the results. See if you can spot all the references that I've crammed into the uniforms; there are quite a few.

For now, home jerseys only - maybe I'll do (run) aways, but I doubt it.

b93s.png

Fullsize here: http://imageshack.com/a/img197/9563/b93s.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

There are a number of candidates for future expansion:

The Black Knight

The Knights Who Say Ni

The Three Headed Knight

The French Castle Guards

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Well, there are a TON of supporting characters in that film, but all the KNIGHTS (plus Arthur) all have somewhat created identities.

For example, the Black Knight has a red boars head logo. The Old Man From Scene 24 (aka Bridgekeeper) doesn't really have a "brand" per se. He's just an old guy in rags.

I may do some others, but I'm still interested to see if people can catch all the little references in the Camelot Knights above. Everything, even numbers, has a significance.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Ha! Nice!

I just saw Spamalot over the weekend, so seeing this was a nice way to start a Monday.

Let's see.... Coconuts on Arthur's sleeves, are those doves on Bedevere's helmet? I don't remember that reference. And there's that arch above the sleeve numbers, my only guess for that is representing his Wooden Rabbit that got catapulted by the French Taunters. The yellow streak in Sir Robin - nice job with the green checkers there, btw. The red sword for Lancelot is in reference to him killing the nancy-boy's bride's family and the historian, I presume, And Galahad's number and the grail on his pants i assume represents his adventure with the sisters of Anthrax.

Where's my prize? :)

Ha! Nice!

I just saw Spamalot over the weekend, so seeing this was a nice way to start a Monday.

Let's see.... Coconuts on Arthur's sleeves, are those doves on Bedevere's helmet? I don't remember that reference. And there's that arch above the sleeve numbers, my only guess for that is representing his Wooden Rabbit that got catapulted by the French Taunters. The yellow streak in Sir Robin - nice job with the green checkers there, btw. The red sword for Lancelot is in reference to him killing the nancy-boy's bride's family and the historian, I presume, And Galahad's number and the grail on his pants i assume represents his adventure with the sisters of Anthrax.

Where's my prize? :)

Ok, so you got a bunch of them. Across the board, each helmet features the logo from that knight's respective shield. Each uniform also has the Holy Hand Grenade as a "conference" patch.

Arthur - number 25, for his tendency to confuse the numbers two and five. When throwing the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, he calls out, "1... 2... 5..." and additionally, mentions that the bridgekeeper will ask them five questions a piece. You nailed the coconut shells.

Bedevere - number 33 for his tendency to correct Arthur when he mixes up numbers. Also, as a bit of a stretch, 33 is a number that's associated with Masonry and science. Bedevere is the most scholarly of the bunch, so it felt right. The shoulder patch is actually a banana-shaped Earth. Early in the film, Bedevere remarks about "knowing the Earth to be banana-shaped," to which Arthur asks him for more of this "new learning." The helmet pride stickers are a duck, as in the village woman weighing the same as duck, which clearly means she's made of wood and therefore, a witch.

Galahad - number 69 for his encounter at Castle Anthrax and the oral sex dialogue delivered by Zoot. He also has a hip logo of a glowing "fake" Grail, which the ladies of Castle Anthrax use to lure men into their fortress.

Robin - number 00 because he's the least brave knight. The checkered pattern is straight from his shield. And you're correct about the yellow highlights, since Robin is given to soiling his armor. I suppose I could have used brown, but Robin is also "yellow" in that he's a massive chicken. The waistband includes musical notes as a nod to his favorite minstrels (who were eaten in the frozen land of Nador).

Lancelot - you got the red blood aspect absolutely. The 08 number is because Lancelot "killed EIGHT wedding guests in ALL!" during his siege of Swamp Castle. The helmet pride stickers are rabbits, in a nod to the vicious Rabbit of Caerbannog.

Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Film - self explanatory, it's just a ghosty-looking blank template. Numbered "N/A," because well, it's not applicable.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived