Knicks to Own and Operate Their Own NBA D-League Affiliate

Brian in Boston

So pardon my ignorance, but is the D-League really an effective minor league? Has any player 'developed' there and made an impact in the NBA? Or have teams actually "called up" hot players from their minor league teams?

On one hand, the NBA's still very new to doing this type of thing relative to the NHL and baseball. Off the top of my head (and a few wikipedia peeks), Jeremy Lin was in Erie for a little bit before Linsanity became a thing, the Spurs had had Danny Green down in Austin for a while, the Thunder sent Reggie Jackson back and forth between OKC and Tulsa a few years ago, and several years ago Ramon Sessions played most of the season in Tulsa before the Bucks called him up. Then you got Glen Rice Jr., who's split this season between the D-League and the Wizards.

As I said, it aint like baseball where even the guys who become superstars spend at least some time in the minors, but at least a few teams are starting to get a feel for this.

Back on topic...Bockers is the best of that lot, though how about Emperors or Imperials instead of Empire? Too grandiose?

New York is the "Empire State"

Imperials would be best for a team in the Port Imperial area of Weehawken NJ

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the "Name the Team" suggestion page for the Pistons' new Grand Rapids affiliate (formerly the Nets' Springfield Armor):

http://www.nba.com/dleague/grandrapids/splash_team_name.html

I nominated Grand Rapids Machine...ties into the parent club, and also into Grand Rapids' community spirit as well as bringing a unit mentality to the team.

bYhYmxh.png

Archived