Alas Noches De Valencia: What Went Wrong?

GriffinM6

Well I did terrible in the ESCC fro the Spanish league. I thought I had a pretty good concept. Sure the bat face on the crest isn't the greatest, I thought everything else was good, especially the color scheme and primary uniform. What is your C&C?

ValenciaNightwingsPresentation_zps920e6b

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

To be honest. I knocked a couple points off from the presentation. I thought the black background clashed with the uniforms. (I put presentation in thought when voting, not sure if anyone else did).

I quite liked your jerseys though. My big negative was shorts. I think having matching shorts or switched color shorts would've looked much better.

I'm not that big on designing soccer jerseys (never a fan of designing them) but that's just my thought process.

The kits are pretty good. As you mentioned, though, the bat face really killed it for me. Also, the text under the "V" felt a bit forced almost as an afterthought. It could have been larger, maybe flanking either side of the "V" instead of being squeezed under it.

But let's not forget that this was a competition and your concept wasn't up against just itself. I felt like there were at least 5 that had more solid concepts. In voting during this competition, I decided to place an emphasis on concepts with 3 uniforms. I know that only 2 were required, but I felt like a 3 kit concept deserved more credit. Also, just a personal preference, but I liked to see concepts where the colors between kits varied more.

Lastly, although maybe it shouldn't really impact voting, I think the presentation could have been better, using the black gradient in the background made it pretty difficult to make out some of your text and the kits didn't really stand out as a result. That could have definitely impacted votes.

gYH2mW9.png

I think if you:

A. Put a bat body(one color) instead of the face on the crest.

B. Put a white or light grey background

You probably would have gotten more points. The uniforms are too notch, though.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Thanks for all the comments so far. So it seems to be this...

- Background had bad contrast

- Bat face sucks

The only reason I used the bat face, was because I didn't want to steal one off the internet. That would make me feel really terrible.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

- Bat face sucks

The only reason I used the bat face, was because I didn't want to steal one off the internet. That would make me feel really terrible.

Like Black Bolt said too. The Spain one like the rest had a great top tier. It was hard to get into anyones top 5.

- Bat face sucks

Hit it on the head, and in that order. The background threw me off from the first viewing. I also take presentation into consideration when voting, for better or worse. I figure that so many general concept posts get dinged for it, I should consider it in this voting, too.

I wouldn't say "sucks," though. It does need an extra element (wrinkled nose comes to mind) to really elicit a bat, though.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

+ The general look of the uniforms was pretty sharp.

- Lack of contrast in the palette, not just in the uniforms but also in the presentation. Everything looked muddy. One dark hue, one medium, and one light is a good rule of thumb. Here, try black, a medium blue, and a pale grey. I think you'll see it makes your uniforms and crest pop more.

- Lost opportunity to turn the V in the crest into the bat's body.This would have made the crest make a lot more sense.

- Confusion about the team name: is it "Alas Noche" or "Alas Noches"? The actual Spanish would be "Alas de Noche", but since I fudged the Basque at bit in my presentation, I wasn't going to knock you too much there. Still, the fact that the name wasn't consistent throughout the presentation looked sloppy.

- Big points off in saying that the name came from the DC comic. It's just not realistic at all for a soccer team; you don't have any "Mighty Ducks" in European soccer. You could have got away with not including this bit in the description. To say that the logo came from the city's crest and that you were calling the club "Alas de Noche" would have sufficed.

rATMcmK.png

Also, about "stealing a face off the internet"--you don't have to do that. But, it's very smart to use images from the internet as *reference photos* to guide your work. Big difference there.

rATMcmK.png

Archived