Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

3 hours ago, ltp74 said:

A Unitas-Bradshaw-Marino transition would have never happened in that scenario, if the Steelers have Unitas in 1969 they don't go 1-13 and get the #1 pick in the draft which they used to select Bradshaw. 

The trade that gave the Bears the third pick in the 1965 Draft was more of an economic move than a bonehead move, Art Rooney didn't have the cash to compete in the war with the AFL for draft picks, that's why they traded out of the first round in 1961, 1963, and 1965. If the Steelers keep the 1965 pick Butkus is most likely a Bronco.

Here's the thing: If the Bears only have the fourth pick that year, do they take Butkus or Sayers?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/11/2018 at 7:21 PM, Discrimihater said:

A thought that just struck me: when the NBA and ABA merged, the Bulls basically forced it to include the Pacers instead of the Kentucky Colonels so they could get Artis Gilmore.  5+ years later, the Colts move to Indy.

The question I ask is...if the Colonels had survived the merger instead of the Pacers, are we talking about the Kentucky Colts today?

Mainly just a random question.

No way. Indianapolis still had a modern dome. Louisville didn't have anything suitable for the NFL even on a temporary basis. If they did, they probably would have gotten at least a USFL team.

On the Alternatehistory.com forum, I started a thread about sports trades that you would have liked to see (or almost happened). Here are a few that should have happened (in my opinion):

Spring 1990: Roger Craig (and a third-rounder) from the 49ers to the Raiders for Marcus Allen.

Craig was washed-up by 1990, and Allen's career was stuck in LA with his nemesis Al Davis. Craig could have provided the Raiders with a decent backup, and Allen could have been a key piece in keeping the 49er dynasty going.

Spring 1993: Jeff George from Colts to Vikings for 21st overall pick.

The Colts were 9-7 the year before, but not because of George. They should have gotten rid of him a year earlier (and brought in Viking QB Rich Gannon as FA). Then, with the 21st overall pick, they could have drafted RB Robert Smith (or packaged the 16th and 21st picks in an attempt to move up to the top eight and take Jerome Bettis).

• 6 months later...

I watched the 30 for 30 documentary The Two Bills the other day. During that doc, they talked about how Jimmy Johnson offered Belichick the defensive coordinator position with the Dolphins in 1996, but he turned it down to go back to work for Parcells. The rest is history.

If he would have went to Miami instead, this century could have been very different if he would have taken over for Johnson as HC by 2000.

• 4 weeks later...

What if Russell Wilson had handed Marshawn Lynch the damn ball on the one yard line in the Super Bowl against NE Patriots?  Do they score?  If they win does that set Seattle off to a couple of more super bowls?

On 3/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

What if Russell Wilson had handed Marshawn Lynch the damn ball on the one yard line in the Super Bowl against NE Patriots?  Do they score?  If they win does that set Seattle off to a couple of more super bowls?

Someone did a video on this on You Tube not too long ago. They had the Seahawks going back and winning again in 2015 over Denver.

I disagree. I still think they lose at Carolina in the divisional round. However, with a better vibe in the locker room, they get back in 2016 against the Pats, and defeat them again for their third SB win (and being crowned the team of the 10's).

As for NE, the disappointment of losing SB's two out of three years holds them back in 2017. They don't win in Pittsburgh (in the Jesse James game). As a result, the Steelers get home field, and the Jags beat them in the AFC Title Game (before losing to Philly in the SB). Then, this past year, the Chiefs don't jump offside, and they get the INT to win the game (they also win their first SB in 49 years).

Without three rings in the past five years, the narrative involving Brady slowly starts to change. He still isn't traded instead of Jimmy G (because Kraft is loyal to his vet QB's-see Bledsoe), but he isn't talked about as much for GOAT, either.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how differently things may have been had Bob Kraft promoted Belichick in 1997 after Parcells left. He said that as much as he got to like Belichick he couldn't bring himself to hire him because of his ties to Parcells and went with Pete Carroll instead. I think it is possible they may have had a similar downward trajectory with him being fired after three or four years  as in addition to not having Brady he probably needed a few more years to learn from his prior mistakes in Cleveland and who knows if he ever gets a third shot

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 3:02 PM, chrispw12 said:

I wonder how differently things may have been had Bob Kraft promoted Belichick in 1997 after Parcells left. He said that as much as he got to like Belichick he couldn't bring himself to hire him because of his ties to Parcells and went with Pete Carroll instead. I think it is possible they may have had a similar downward trajectory with him being fired after three or four years  as in addition to not having Brady he probably needed a few more years to learn from his prior mistakes in Cleveland and who knows if he ever gets a third shot

After reading this article on The Ringer, it seems to me that some of the Patriot defensive players had respect for Belichick, and wanted him to be named as HC in 1997:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/8/9/16119282/new-england-patriots-belichick-brady-2000-team

I'm not sure if that would have been different three years earlier. I think that Bill would have had more respect from his team than Pete Carroll did (Carroll was a rah-rah guy that the players tuned out, from what I understand). Also, he would have inherited a Drew Bledsoe that was more in his prime, and he would have had Curtis "my favorite" Martin as RB (although I can see him letting him go to NY a year later rather than pay him a lot of money. RB's are disposable to Belichick).

Archived