MLB Rivalry Classics: Battle of I-94: Brewers vs. White Sox

Discrim

It took me a while to figure out what to do with the Brewers, but ultimately, I give you the Brewers vs. the White Sox, as only I will.

Honestly, basing things on the 80s Brewers is somewhat passe. Luckily, Gothamite's involved with the Borchert Field blog, which is about the old American Association Brewers, upon which both uniforms here are based. The Brews' traditional look for most of their existence was a block M at home, and either the same M or MILWAUKEE on the road, only donning tops that read "Brewers" for the first time in the early 40s (as opposed to the modern Brewers, who've never worn anything but BREWERS on their home whites), and the particular uniform I based the home off of had distinctively thick blue piping paired with a red M (which I sort of invoke with the gold M). The all navy road is loosely based on a one-season road set worn in the early 40s that'd been introduced by one Bill Veeck (though that jersey read Brewers, not Milwaukee). The main liberty I took here was the use of the Barrel Man as a sleeve patch, despite the fact that neither the Brews nor the Brew Crew* were big on patches until relatively recently.

brewersrivalry2.png

*Kinda like how the PCL and ML Angels are distinguished from each other by their pet names (Seraphs and Halos, respectively) so too are the AA and ML Brewers (Brews and Brew Crew, respectively)

I got more suggestions for the Sox than I knew what to do with (not naming name ;) ). Not a part of the suggestion box was the use of the flying sock on the home set's cap. The silver script and numbers, however, were among the suggestions (and I decided to use silver pinstripes for the hell of it). As were the shorts that I was gonna do anyway. The road is an 80s composite, with the Batterman on the cap and the SOX lettering from the beach blanket jerseys in navy with red trim, a nod to the more sedate late 80s set (with its quirk, the pants number, represented here as well).

whitesoxrivalry2.png

The Remaining List (no particular order):

Canada (Blue Jays vs Expos-90s)

Texas (Astros vs Rangers-2000s)

St. Louis (Cardinals vs Browns-40s)

Philly (Phillies vs A's-30s or 40s)

NYC (Dodgers vs Giants vs Yankees-mid 50s)

Beantown (Red Sox vs Braves-late 1940s)

I-94 (Brewers vs White Sox-1997)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The Sox home is the only iffy one here. All of the rest are good, but the Brewers look phenomenal, only change would be to have white pants on the road.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

This is such a treat. I thought I'd have to wait for you to get through the earlier/vintage rivalry sets (Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to those, too ;)) but here we are!

I was going to complain that you didn't use pinstripes for the Sox, but then I enlarged the home set and they magically appeared. I agree with Carolingian Steamroller that they are difficult to see without squinting.

Thank you for having the balls to use the softball shorts in one of your Sox concepts. The "White Sox" script from those late '80s uniforms is criminally underrated and it looks superb in their current color scheme. Throwing player numbers on the shorts is a genius way to tie those various eras together.

As an alternate to the flying sock cap logo, I found this photo of the Sarasota White Sox (Advanced-A affiliate from the early '90s) which has a really nifty cap using the "S" from that script.

fd866515-e8e1-4a18-a190-70076e932148.jpg

I really like that "S" logo. I've been trying to find a way to turn that "S" into a 1917 style big S, little "o" little "x" logo for years.

I don't know if that's possible, given the tail of the "S" curves around and occupies the bottom opening of the logo.

The Sox home is the only iffy one here. All of the rest are good, but the Brewers look phenomenal, only change would be to have white pants on the road.

Given that I'd mentioned I based that one off of a 40s uniform, and that aside from that one Reds uniform that had red pants in the late 30s, nobody was wearing jerseys and pants of differing colors til the 70s, white or gray pants wouldn't have made any sense.

The Sox concept would be better without the shorts and I cannot see the pinstripes, though the rest is good.

As far as the Brewers concept goes, would you like my money now or later?

The home uni was gonna have shorts no matter what, so for better or worse, blame Veeck. The silver pinstripes were all me though :P Gotta keep you folks guessing, after all.

This is such a treat. I thought I'd have to wait for you to get through the earlier/vintage rivalry sets (Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to those, too ;)) but here we are!

I was going to complain that you didn't use pinstripes for the Sox, but then I enlarged the home set and they magically appeared. I agree with Carolingian Steamroller that they are difficult to see without squinting.

Thank you for having the balls to use the softball shorts in one of your Sox concepts. The "White Sox" script from those late '80s uniforms is criminally underrated and it looks superb in their current color scheme. Throwing player numbers on the shorts is a genius way to tie those various eras together.

As an alternate to the flying sock cap logo, I found this photo of the Sarasota White Sox (Advanced-A affiliate from the early '90s) which has a really nifty cap using the "S" from that script.

*eat mor chikin*

Yes...I made the pinstripes hard to see because I'm evil and I want you to go blind :devil: And I could've used the script C...hell, I used to have a script C cap back in the day. My desire to use the flying sock was simply far higher.

Oh yeah, and nice job with the Brewers, too. :D

lovin the brewers

2016cubscreamsig.png

Likely Boston next, though Philly's also a possibility. I figure since NY will involve three teams instead of two, I may as well save that for last.

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived