2016-17 NBA Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw that KAT scored 47 in a home loss to the Knicks. Thibs should fire himself.

The Lakers had something like 450 turnovers tonight (actual number is about 25) and won by six on the road against the Bulls. And that's without Young and Russell. Walton has to be coach of the year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm sure it'll be a great comment in five years.

EDIT: oh man, anyone else wanna sign up for News Genius and annotate this with me? DG? I'm like two paragraphs in and already barfing.

EDIT2: oh god oh god jiowvghj[orgti8u24[hi8fhrye3hrhrfu;iukg

In the letter Gupta related a series of examples of Hinkie’s character, including the story of Marlene Barnes, the longtime Sixers secretary Hinkie inherited upon arriving. Barnes was diagnosed with cancer. Hinkie was one of a handful of people in the organization she told. He arranged for her and her family to take a trip to New York City, to see the musical Hamilton. When Barnes retired last spring, as the cancer advanced, she publicly thanked Hinkie. Two months later, she passed away.

Of course longform journalism about a guy who's everything detestable about smart people in 2016 would have to come around to fkking Hamilton! Everything does! It couldn't not! So either her dying wish was to see Hamilton or Sam Hinkie bought her tickets to Hamilton and it killed her. Either way, now I'm dead.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's my News Genius annotation:

"Why do we watch basketball games front to back?” Hinkie asks. “Why not watch games back to front, or out of order?”

:censored: you.

This is a man who listens to books on 3X speed on Audible and curates his Pocket account the way some men once curated album collections,

Even so, he’s quite anxious. “The worst part of [a general manager’s] job is that it’s public,” he says. “And so I do as much as possible to protect the people I love because they didn’t choose this life, I did.”

So Hinkie thinks big picture while ­setting small, realistic goals, like guest lecturing at Stanford next semester and teaching Hudson to ride a bike.

To combat this he’s embraced an arsenal of life hacks. Every hour between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., his Fitbit watch vibrates. Not to remind him to exercise; as Hinkie says, “I do not feel compelled to impress it.” Rather, it’s a cue to consider the previous hour. Was he productive? Did he achieve his goals? He then spends the following 60 seconds considering the hour to come. Once properly centered, Hinkie proceeds with his day.

Mornings are reserved for creative tasks when his brain is fresh. Afternoons for meetings. Built in throughout are “opportunities for serendipity.”

The other was Hinkie, no longer a Sixers employee, who traveled at his own expense and took a red-eye flight from L.A. to Philly, the only commercial flight that allowed him to be present. 

“Born on third base,” as he says, not because his family had money but because he considers intellect, not class, to be the new driver in society. Hinkie’s high school biology teacher gave one test to Sam and another to the rest of the class. 

“The single metric I wish we had,” he told them, “is the sum total of the scores of every game you’ve ever played. One-on-one, two-on-two, your little sister, your kids, five-on-five, scrimmages, preseason, playoff games.” He paused. “I don’t know what that would say, but I suspect it would be awesome. I suspect it would say that Kobe Bryant is Genghis Khan.”

Christ what an :censored:.

“So those make sense to me and aren’t terribly different from what I thought you would have said, but I think you’re leaving some things unsaid.” Translation: I’m not impressed so far and think you’re holding out on me.

And: “Let me get a little more narrow there because I still think you have constraints that aren’t said out loud, which is fine.” Translation: Apparently you’re not getting it, and I still think you’re holding out on me.

And, before delivering a pointed opinion (in this case, that a friend is misdirecting his time trying to be too broad): “This might sound terrible and I don’t think many people will tell you this…” Translation: This might hurt a bit but it’s for the best.

You son of a bitch.

In particular Hinkie is superfocused on the bots. Which, best as I can tell, are coming for all of our jobs and children. He recommends AI books and articles on how driverless trucks are going to ream the middle class. He asks questions like, “Why are you teaching your kids to type?” (A question worth asking, he argues, because soon enough everything will be voice recognition.) And: “How are you preparing your kids for a life with 60% unemployment?”

God I hate you.

Sam Hinkie's biggest problem is he believes he's the first guy who ever did anything. And because he thinks he's such a trailblazer, he can never be wrong.

Hinkieball has been realized. Two centers who were drafted while injured remain either injured or on minute restrictions. Okafor won't be good until he plays for someone else. Secret weapon Dario Saric kind of sucks. And Ben Simmons is starting his NBA career injured. Great.

Yes, he's a quirky guy, but he's also a quirky guy who sucked at his job. Stop writing about him!

Here's a more interesting story -- Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss had a bad few years in LA riding out the end of the Kobe trade. The Nash/Howard superteam didn't work and they gave up a lot to have it blow up in their faces. However, they did the Hinkie thing without doing the Hinkie thing. Namely, they tanked and got high draft picks....but they actually drafted complementary pieces. Randle, Russell, Clarkson, Nance and Ingram can all play on the floor together at the same time. How novel! And, unlike the Hinkie Sixers, the Lakers remained relevant during their down years because they had Kobe and tried.

The 2015/16 Lakers masterminded a secret tank job with a secret terrible coach, and have come out a year later with a realistic chance to make the playoffs this season. When will the Hinkie Sixers -- Embiid, Okafor, Noel, Saric and, being charitable, Simmons -- make the playoffs? If three of those five guys are on a playoff team together in Philly, I'll eat my hat.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Here's where Draymond Green lost the game for the Warriors against the Rockets last night: https://streamable.com/ljp0

1. That play led to two FTs for Green (he missed one) and two FTs for Harden plus Houston possession (he made both and that was it for the game)

2. Once Curry fouled out the Warriors fell apart

3. It was also double OT so things happen

4. Montrezl Harrell had an awesome night. He has awesome dunks so I want him to play more

5. Reggie Miller is dumb as rocks

13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Here's where Draymond Green lost the game for the Warriors against the Rockets last night: https://streamable.com/ljp0

1. That play led to two FTs for Green (he missed one) and two FTs for Harden plus Houston possession (he made both and that was it for the game)

2. Once Curry fouled out the Warriors fell apart

3. It was also double OT so things happen

4. Montrezl Harrell had an awesome night. He has awesome dunks so I want him to play more

5. Reggie Miller is dumb as rocks

Klay had another bad shooting night too.

4 for 20 and 3 for 13 3PT

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

"To combat this he’s embraced an arsenal of life hacks. Every hour between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., his Fitbit watch vibrates. Not to remind him to exercise; as Hinkie says, “I do not feel compelled to impress it.” Rather, it’s a cue to consider the previous hour. Was he productive? Did he achieve his goals? He then spends the following 60 seconds considering the hour to come. Once properly centered, Hinkie proceeds with his day."

The :censored:ing smug is giving me cancer.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

James Harden for MVP. If not Russ, then him. He looks a lot better this year. Or at least his teammates seem to hate him a lot less.

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

James Harden for MVP. If not Russ, then him. He looks a lot better this year. Or at least his teammates seem to hate him a lot less.

Let's just wait to see how Harden plays during Eric Gordon's his annual 14-25 game vacation due to injury. 

To revisit the Hinkie thing again:

he considers intellect, not class, to be the new driver in society.

A person who comes to this conclusion is utterly irretrievable. We can't even begin to begin.

Hinkie was better when he was just a dip :censored: basketball GM. As a thought leading guru he's a monster.

Please world. Less maladjusted MIT/Standard geniuses who confuse their experience for fact.

On 12/02/2016 at 1:21 PM, DG_Now said:

Stanford, obviously.

When posting the link, I couldn't post anything nice or anything which would classify Hinkie as Autistic or with Asperger's.

I've got idiosyncrasies, but I'm not about that Sam Hinkie life.

I really feel sorry for Sam's children with an absent father which, if he decided to talk to them, nothing is good enough.

NBA looking to start season 10 games earlier next year: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/12/2/13821216/nba-regular-season-schedule-2017-preseason-cba

The main goal is to reduce/eliminate back-to-backs and four in five night stretches.

This is being done for gambling purposes, right? Picking the team that's fresh over the team playing it's second in two nights (i.e., the Warriors' schedule) has become almost guaranteed.

Either way, it's a good step. The next good step would be for the NBA and all other pro leagues to approve marijuana to treat pain after games.

As a hockey fan, I like having October to ourselves. I also think the NHL season should start on October 1st every year for the same reason the NBA is (correctly) moving up. I'd rather have the NBA stretch out on the back end so the NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Final aren't touching. But either way, do cut down that interminable NBA preseason, good gravy why is that so long?

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

I've got idiosyncrasies, but I'm not about that Sam Hinkie life.

New forum subtitle.

Archived