Super Bowl I & II Logos from NFL's Greatest Moments In Super Bowl History DVD

Topherlee2

Here are the logos I found on one of my NFL DVDs called "Greatest Moments In Super Bowl History" of Super Bowl I and II. I personally think they are rare but that's my opinion. Here they are for everyone to enjoy, sorry for the quality I had to take it off my TV from my cell phone.

20170308_133932.jpg

20170308_134652.jpg

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

Another interesting wrinkle is that, given that the "Super Bowl" moniker wasn't created back then, both are posthumous logos created years after each game was played. The first Pro Set issue in 1989 features a commemorative card for every Super Bowl played, complete with the logo, except for the first two AFL/NFL title games, which feature the official logo below:

Super-Bowl-I---Green-Bay-Packers-Kansas-

Let's not forget the beautiful SB I midfield logo.

Super+Bowl+I-Coin+Toss.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Another interesting wrinkle is that, given that the "Super Bowl" moniker wasn't created back then, both are posthumous logos created years after each game was played.

The logos are fauxbacks, but the name was around at the time.  It just wasn't official. The fans called it that even if the leagues didn't. 

29 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

Yeah I believe even the announcers called it the Super Bowl during play at SB1.

It was used unofficially right after the merger was announced and show's up in newspaper articles, interviews and by announcers prior to SB1. Pete Rozelle disliked the name and preferred Pro Bowl but that name was already in use, he finally caved sometime after SB3 and the fourth game was officially called the Super Bowl with the following season getting the roman numeral added to it.

1 minute ago, ltp74 said:

It was used unofficially right after the merger was announced and show's up in newspaper articles, interviews and by announcers prior to SB1. Pete Rozelle disliked the name and preferred Pro Bowl but that name was already in use, he finally caved sometime after SB3 and the fourth game was officially called the Super Bowl with the following season getting the roman numeral added to it.

The program for Super Bowl III referred to it as such. I used to own that baby :-(

It's where I sit.

20 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The program for Super Bowl III referred to it as such. I used to own that baby :-(

I have my father's ticket stub and a Colts pennant at home.  I pretty sure they both also say Super Bowl III.

Fortunately, he and my mother also went to Super Bowl V to get the sour taste out of their mouths.

EDIT:  This is the pennant I have.  I also have the SBV one on the top of the other picture.  Thanks, Dad.

Note, no roman numerals on either one even though my Super Bowl program and ticket stub both use them.

s-l640.jpg7_DSC_1614_lg.jpeg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived