Hoopladawg87

NBA x NIKE (MAGIC AND SPURS added 11/19)

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Miguel23 said:

What I love about this unis is the old school feel with a touch modern day unis. Nothing is bad but I guess the true colors of Spurs (Gray) is not being highlighted here. And can you also do some alternates (gray unis) 

 

I appreciate the input! Both the side panels and the stroke around the wordmarks and numerals were supposed to be silver, but based on the comments I did not do a good job with the coloring. I have changed that in the version below -- please let me know your thoughts on whether or not this is a step in the right direction in terms of making the silver more visible.

 

As for the alternates, I am not sure whether I will include the silver....I really want to find a way to incorporate the fiesta color palette, but I have seen and created some very questionable concepts using those colors, so we will see. If that does not happen, silver would be the logical alternative.

 

19 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

Love the Spurs..i would suggest a silver outline on the wordmark and numbers..just my opinion tho. 

 

Thanks for the kind words! As noted in the response above, I tried - albeit unsuccessfully - to include said silver outline. A color corrected version is below, so hopefully this version adequately addresses that issue!

 

 

 

San Antonio Spurs Home Uniforms

cQ0YXAM.jpg

 

San Antonio Spurs Away Uniforms

Mw2Ugrz.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

 

I appreciate the input! Both the side panels and the stroke around the wordmarks and numerals were supposed to be silver, but based on the comments I did not do a good job with the coloring. I have changed that in the version below -- please let me know your thoughts on whether or not this is a step in the right direction in terms of making the silver more visible.

 

As for the alternates, I am not sure whether I will include the silver....I really want to find a way to incorporate the fiesta color palette, but I have seen and created some very questionable concepts using those colors, so we will see. If that does not happen, silver would be the logical alternative.

 

 

Thanks for the kind words! As noted in the response above, I tried - albeit unsuccessfully - to include said silver outline. A color corrected version is below, so hopefully this version adequately addresses that issue!

 

 

 

San Antonio Spurs Home Uniforms

cQ0YXAM.jpg

 

San Antonio Spurs Away Uniforms

Mw2Ugrz.jpg

I want to see you incorporate the fiesta color palette too! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update for Portland -- for some reason I decided to stop being stubborn today and abandoned the sash within the wordmarks. The results are below....both jerseys feel cleaner, though I am still not in love with the home whites.

 

Portland Trail Blazers Home Uniforms

6a2YwDA.jpg

 

Portland Trail Blazers Away Uniforms

0tGoPSn.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I thought more about the most recent Portland update, I realized the diagonal wordmarks make less sense without the inner sash. I have updated both jerseys once more, this time leveling the wordmarks horizontally. I think this will be pretty close to if not the final version of each, though I am still deciding between the 'BLAZERS' and 'TRAIL BLAZERS' versions of the home whites.

 

Portland Trail Blazers Home Uniforms 1

O5mrakY.jpg

 

Portland Trail Blazers Home Uniforms 2

1cvUzea.jpg

 

Portland Trail Blazers Away Uniforms

Z68lcKd.jpg

 

 

 

Thanks for looking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the Hawks, Blazers(slant wordmark) and Spurs.  Can't wait to see what you can do for the Rockets, Suns and maybe even a Seattle Sonics? 90s throwbacks with a 70s throwback twist!! Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Portland Trail Blazers Home Uniforms 2

1cvUzea.jpg

You're onto something good here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2017 at 2:05 AM, Maximus89 said:

Loving the Hawks, Blazers(slant wordmark) and Spurs.  Can't wait to see what you can do for the Rockets, Suns and maybe even a Seattle Sonics? 90s throwbacks with a 70s throwback twist!! Love it!

 

Thanks! The Seattle Supersonics are definitely on the to-do list, and I've been experimenting with the Rockets....I hate their current identity and am not a fan of the red and yellow color palette, so we'll see what happens with them.

 

On 5/18/2017 at 2:14 AM, sayahh said:

You're onto something good here.

 

I appreciate it -- have any NBA teams ever put text above and below the number? I couldn't think of any off the top of my head, especially in the modern era, but I may very well be forgetting something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a slight update for the Pacers -- specifically a new wordmark font. It is actually fairly close to what they have now, but with a few nuances, and instead of being arched it is simply italicized to convey motion. Drop shadows stay.

 

Thoughts before this is applied to the away and alternate uniforms?

 

Indiana Pacers Home Uniforms

UG8YKIc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this Pacers wordmark better. Well done! But it would appear that you've also changed the numbers font. It's not a dealbreaker, but I think the previous numbers were better IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2017 at 2:26 PM, sayahh said:

I like this Pacers wordmark better. Well done! But it would appear that you've also changed the numbers font. It's not a dealbreaker, but I think the previous numbers were better IMO.

 

Thanks for the input! I've been going back and forth between number fonts since you pointed this out, and I'm not sure I've come to a consensus....there are things I like and dislike about each - the serif on the 1 of the original, the disproportional height of the new - so I might end up attempting to blend them to form something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not been working on many concepts lately, but here is one for the Cleveland Cavaliers I started earlier today - coincidentally before their rebranding images surfaced - and am just finishing up.

 

I think some folks will be happy to see that I finally stopped being too stubborn to add collar and armhole trim, and I think most folks will absolutely despise the inclusion of black in the color palette.

 

Anyways, here is the vision behind it: the Cavs have never had a truly timeless identity or uniform set, historically speaking, as evidenced by their wide array of colors, designs, etc. over the last several decades. Considering they have a generational player in LeBron, the aim was to create more of a timepiece than a timeless look -- incorporate elements of each of the previous LeBron eras and bring everything full-circle.

 

We start with the original LeBron-era color palette because yellow looks cheap without a true and strong contrasting colors a la the Lakers' purple. Gold complements the garnet better and less abrasively. Black is a very significant color in Cavs' history given the fact that they won Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals wearing black alternates, and therefore it has been included in place of navy. 

 

The wordmark is certainly outdated, though I much prefer it to the generic, rounded nonsense they currently wear as well as what was released earlier today -- though I need more time and visuals to fully evaluate that font. 

 

The uniform itself is cleaner than the original LeBron-era ones, retaining the same collar and armhole trim pattern while eliminating the side panels that had too many colors and stripes and negative space for no apparent reason. Instead, the Cleveland skyline that made its way into the second LeBron era's branding - specifically on their home court - is implemented in a fashion slightly less disastrous, yet still reminiscent of the pre-LeBron light blue-on-black swoop. Finally, black becomes the second stroke around the wordmark and numerals because I never liked how seldom and without purpose the navy was employed the first time around. 

 

I guess you could say this is more of an update to a previous uniform than anything, and it is likely far from its final stages, but I am very interested in any and all thoughts, ideas, comments, and criticisms.

 

Cleveland Cavaliers Away Uniforms

UHO1jYD.jpg

 

 

 

Thanks for looking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I have not been working on many concepts lately, but here is one for the Cleveland Cavaliers I started earlier today - coincidentally before their rebranding images surfaced - and am just finishing up.

 

I think some folks will be happy to see that I finally stopped being too stubborn to add collar and armhole trim, and I think most folks will absolutely despise the inclusion of black in the color palette.

 

Anyways, here is the vision behind it: the Cavs have never had a truly timeless identity or uniform set, historically speaking, as evidenced by their wide array of colors, designs, etc. over the last several decades. Considering they have a generational player in LeBron, the aim was to create more of a timepiece than a timeless look -- incorporate elements of each of the previous LeBron eras and bring everything full-circle.

 

We start with the original LeBron-era color palette because yellow looks cheap without a true and strong contrasting colors a la the Lakers' purple. Gold complements the garnet better and less abrasively. Black is a very significant color in Cavs' history given the fact that they won Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals wearing black alternates, and therefore it has been included in place of navy. 

 

The wordmark is certainly outdated, though I much prefer it to the generic, rounded nonsense they currently wear as well as what was released earlier today -- though I need more time and visuals to fully evaluate that font. 

 

The uniform itself is cleaner than the original LeBron-era ones, retaining the same collar and armhole trim pattern while eliminating the side panels that had too many colors and stripes and negative space for no apparent reason. Instead, the Cleveland skyline that made its way into the second LeBron era's branding - specifically on their home court - is implemented in a fashion slightly less disastrous, yet still reminiscent of the pre-LeBron light blue-on-black swoop. Finally, black becomes the second stroke around the wordmark and numerals because I never liked how seldom and without purpose the navy was employed the first time around. 

 

I guess you could say this is more of an update to a previous uniform than anything, and it is likely far from its final stages, but I am very interested in any and all thoughts, ideas, comments, and criticisms.

 

Cleveland Cavaliers Away Uniforms

UHO1jYD.jpg

 

 

 

Thanks for looking!

Maybe lower the "Cleveland" wordmark a bit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good catch, @sayahh. Here are two versions, both including the wordmark lowered as well as the numerals scaled down -- the first reflects just those two changes, the second also includes the skyline sublimation and numerals lowered so as not to be obscured by the wordmark.

 

Cleveland Cavaliers Away Uniforms Version 1

uJxFSPe.jpg

 

 

 

Cleveland Cavaliers Away Uniforms Version 2

n2nkC7o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland Cavaliers Away Uniforms Version 1 looks better IMO than Version 2 but I actually liked the bigger number from your original concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Cleveland Cavaliers Away Uniforms Version 1 looks better IMO than Version 2 but I actually liked the bigger number from your original concept.

 

Interesting -- I had three different versions with things I liked and disliked, and I think the sum of those is a version with the lowered wordmark but the originally-sized numerals. The more I look at it the more I agree with you.

 

Cleveland Cavaliers Away Uniforms

hCbKiAM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another random jersey I designed today, this time for the Phoenix Suns. 

 

I have liked-but-not-loved each of their identities since the early '90s, so much like the previous Cavaliers jerseys this is more than anything just an amalgamation of eras.

 

The '90s color palette and gradient are too interesting to exclude and the sunburst graphic is too unique to exclude, but those elements in their original forms look too dated and what remains of them in their current forms looks boring. So, we modernize the current sunburst graphic with the color palette and gradient from the '90s, retain the current font -- which I love, and clean up the uniform while adding pops of color in the form of collar and armhole trim.

 

Phoenix Suns Away Uniforms

eQt4L5n.jpg

 

 

 

Upgrade, downgrade, or lateral move?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Another random jersey I designed today, this time for the Phoenix Suns. 

 

I have liked-but-not-loved each of their identities since the early '90s, so much like the previous Cavaliers jerseys this is more than anything just an amalgamation of eras.

 

The '90s color palette and gradient are too interesting to exclude and the sunburst graphic is too unique to exclude, but those elements in their original forms look too dated and what remains of them in their current forms looks boring. So, we modernize the current sunburst graphic with the color palette and gradient from the '90s, retain the current font -- which I love, and clean up the uniform while adding pops of color in the form of collar and armhole trim.

 

Phoenix Suns Away Uniforms

eQt4L5n.jpg

 

 

 

Upgrade, downgrade, or lateral move?

 

I love it! Can you also do an orange set that says SUNS across the chest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sayahh said:

Looks fine but the 1 looks like a Z somewhat.

 

Agreed -- I had to double check to confirm that's how their current font actually looks. I might cut that tail in the bottom right corner off to make it more 1-like.

 

8 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

 

I love it! Can you also do an orange set that says SUNS across the chest?

 

Thanks! I am definitely going to try to make an orange alternate, though I have found the color balance and arrangement with that one to be trickier than the rest of the uniforms in the set. For now I have a black alternate to share!

 

8 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Beautiful!! I really hope Phoenix uses that next season.

 

I appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now