Fixing my "What if the Original Senators Never Folded" logo - Jerseys 6/5, now revised

hockey week

A long long time ago, I made a concept series asking if the original Ottawa Senators never folded, and in that series I made a concept logo that I kinda threw together with a few random ideas, and didn't think much of it.

OttawaSenators1950slogobig.jpg?t=1276631506OttawaSenators1968-73.jpg?t=1276631506

And recently, there has been a number of times people have brought this logo up as something they wish the Senators would do. I'm blown away every time it happens, because the logo was not meant to be the focal point of the series. As I said in the original, the O is from the Senators' original logo, the leaves are from the Canadian coat of arms, and the shield at the bottom is, depending on which you prefer, a recolor of the shield of Ontario or the bottom of the old Canadian Red Ensign. Derived works, but ones I feel are in the public domain and therefore fair game, but I give credit where credit is due.

So I finally got around to re-doing the logo, cleaning it up, making a Special Edition, if you will. Now I'm throwing it out here for C&C, really specific stuff like stray pixels and really global stuff like the leaves not working. What are your thoughts?

Ottawa Senators Peace Tower logo copy.png

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I always really liked the idea behind this logo. I do think the Sens should throw the peace tower in the 'O'. The two main things that are bothering me is how pixelated the maple leaf ring is and that the maple leaves in the ring don't match up the ones in the shield. Another thing that might help is if you make the shield not come out of the 'O' in such a harsh way. I'm so glad you're coming back to this though.

Shrink that logo down to something you'd put on a ballcap, and a lot of those details will disappear completely. I'd simplify--maybe get rid of the flag at the top of the tower--and thicken up some of the linework so it would show up in a smaller application.

rATMcmK.png

I love this logo. Always have.

I'd make the lineweights more consistent, and definitely simplify the shield at the bottom, or maybe change the contents of it entirely.

Going with a straight-on view of the tower would probably be an improvement as well.

Either way, I adore this logo. This should be the direction they go.

Hey, it's nice to see this pretty logo again! I like the basic idea behind it, but I think it still needs refinement. 

Off the top of my head, the leaves in the shield could lose their black lines (maybe go for the Pearson Pennant version of the tri-leaf design) and the outer leaves should be simplified a little (get rid of inner lines). A straight-on view of the tower would not only be better for consistent lines, but it would also help with displaying the logo in miniature applications (i.e. mobile apps, caps, etc.). Part of me would want to ditch the leaves altogether, because it brings them too close to the iconography of their opponents in the Battle for Ontario.

I loved the original, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you can improve it.

I'm implementing all the suggestions here so far, which I thank all of you for. 

I haven't started working on the Peace Tower yet, but I will be soon.  

Instead I focused on the laurel wreath (Roman senators, after all) of maple leaves. I used this leaf, with an outline, and got rid of the interior.

200px-1946_Canadian_flag_proposal.svg.png

I'm trying something new, replicating the barber pole striping in the leaves. Which means a black leaf, which is weird, but the idea is there. 

So what are your thoughts? Is this on the right track or should I go back to just red and white?  Should the leaves be bigger?

I'm also torn on the ending at the bottom. I feel it needs some sort of ending that isn't the shield. The shield isn't quite right, it doesn't fit (unless someone has a suggestion on how to work it), so I ended the laurel wreath with hockey stick stems. Inside the two stems is a total of six tape lines for the six Cups of the original Sens.  And that didn't seem quite right either, so I added a silhouette of the bowl of the Stanley Cup, an old-timey throwback to the original team. i thought of using another shield, but couldn't make it work any better than that cup, should I am in favor of a shield because it'll come in handy for the jersey, but I can't seem to make it work.

C&C on this partial logo? Suggestions?

ottawa senators peace tower logo 2 copy.png

Those were just placeholders. I decided to go with bigger leaves. They're slightly less "laurel-wreath"-like, but they're easier to understand. I also think the shield at the bottom worked out this time. Now, the question, red/white (more Canadian, makes logical sense) or red/white/black (matches barber pole)?

As always, looking for C&C, no criticism too minor, I want to perfect this thing. I originally didn't include the flag, but it looked so unfinished, so I put it back.

ottawa senators peace tower logo  copy.png

ottawa senators peace tower logo 3 copy.png

I personally prefer the top jersey. The top logo looks cool but would be completely messed up on the jersey unless you changed the colour of the outlines from black to white depending on if the logo is on what colour background the logo is on. A few tweaks that I would suggest is to extend Lord Stanley's to the bottom of the shield, as well as the windows on the peace tower to the bottom of the cut-out part of the 'O'. Also noticing that some of the lines don't meet up properly but that's probably just because of the software. The only one that's really bothering me is one that I think you should be able to solve really easily: at the top of the Peace Tower, just right of the flag pole there's a part that sticks up a bit.

Keep up the great work. 

Finally, thank you. It's the little detailed responses and the big decisions-I-can't-bring-myself-to-make responses that I value most, both ends of that spectrum.

With that, I think I have taken all of the suggestions and implemented them, though I am not sure that I like the Stanley Cup extending into the base of the shield rather than just being the bowl - that bowl looks far more vintage. But I present it regardless.

Here is the logo and the jersey I am going for - Are there ANY suggestions? Things I missed? Loose pixels, borders too thick, anything that isn't right? I'm looking for help.

5935c1f5c3ff3_ottawasenatorspeacetowerlogo5copy.thumb.png.70b2e3b155b6e5de9f6901df696c49c1.png

5935c03d5c02e_ottawasenatorspeacetowerjerseys2copy.thumb.png.4ba6e5f4f7a8f8ef01e9771dbdf8e0a2.png

Gosh, you sure are a fast worker! Looks great! The Cup is fine either way. The original way does look more vintage like you said, the connected way looks more . . . connected. I tried zooming out and it is still very recognisable. On the jersey the leaves look very layered and seem to pop out, which I really like. I'm so happy you did decide to come back to this. It turned out really well. Thanks so much.

Archived