2018 High School Football

4_tattoos

Also, New York's NYSPHSAA's state championship games were held at Carrier Dome this weekend.

Friday:

Class D - Clymer/Sherman/Panama 26, Moriah 6

Class A - Cornwall Central 21, West Seneca East 14

Class C - Susquehanna Valley 27, Dobbs Ferry 6

Saturday

Class B - Glens Falls 55, Batavia 32

Class AA - Rochester Aquinas 21, New Rochelle 14.

This weekend, West Virginia has their state championship 'Super Six' at Wheeling Island Stadium on Wheeling Island.

Friday

730pm 2A -- Bluefield v. Fairmont Senior

Saturday

12pm 3A -- Spring Valley v. Martinsburg (rematch of last year)

7pm 1A - Wheeling Central Catholic v. Williamstown

In Ohio, the state finals will be contested at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton.

Thursday

730pm D2 -- Massillon Washington v. Akron Archbishop Hoban

Friday

10am D6 -- Maria Stein Marion Local v. Kirtland (8th straight appearance for ML, rematch)

3pm D3 -- Kettering Archbishop Alter v. Chagrin Falls Kenston

8pm D1 -- Cincinnati Colerain v. Lakewood St. Edward

Saturday

10am D7 -- McComb v. Glouster Trimble

3pm D5 -- Johnstown-Monroe v. Orrville

8pm D4 -- Girard v. Cincinnati Wyoming

Unlike most other states, despite games at one location, the games are individual tickets. Hence the huge amount of time between games.

And Pennsylvania's semifinals are this weekend:

Class 1A:

Farrell v. Our Lady of the Sacred Heart

Juniata Valley v. Lackawanna Trail

Class 2A:

Wilmington v. Steel Valley

Southern Columbia v. Philadelphia West Catholic

*Southern Columbia and Wilmington played last year in Final*

Class 3A:

Sharon v. Aliquippa

Middletown v. Scranton Prep

Class 4A:

Erie Cathedral Prep v. Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt

Philadelphia Imhotep Charter v. Bethlehem Catholic

*ECP/Imhotep have played in final last three years, ECP winning last two*

Class 5A:

Penn Hills v. Archbishop Wood

Manheim Central v. Upper Dublin

*Archbishop Wood are defending champs*

Class 6A:

Pine-Richland v. Philadelphia St. Joseph's Prep

Harrisburg v. Coatesville

The PIAA finals will be played the next weekend.

1A and 4A finals on Thursday (1pm and 7pm), 2A and 5A on Friday (1pm and 7pm) and 3A and 6A on Saturday (12pm and 6pm) at Hersheypark Stadium in Hershey.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

Secondly, Texas UIL titles have all been on the same weekend for the past few years now at one site.

First with the 1A (6-man) games on Wednesday night, with the 11-man games on Thursday (4 games), and Friday and Saturday (3 each). But, now they play three games each day, Wednesday through Saturday.

They haven't played 3A D1 and the 1A 6-man finals the week prior for several years now.

https://www.uiltexas.org/football/state

I don't know why I messed that up. For some reason I remember the dates not overlapping but then again that's what used to happen. Interesting that the first two that I mention end 2 weeks ahead, but since they are at the start of the week instead of Thursday/Friday it makes sense.

Since there's like three Tom Benson stadiums, some people still call the one in Canton Fawcett Stadium. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

New Jersey doesn't have state finals, but instead of the Group finals they've had for years that were held at MetLife, Rutgers, Rowan, Keane, etc are no more. They now hold a 'bowl' after pitting the North 1 and North 2 groups against one another and the South and Central groups against one another. And the three private school groups play their titles now all at MetLife Stadium over two weekends.

Give it five years, NJ will have public school state finals.

LvZYtbZ.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.uiltexas.org/football/state

I don't know why I messed that up. For some reason I remember the dates not overlapping but then again that's what used to happen. Interesting that the first two that I mention end 2 weeks ahead, but since they are at the start of the week instead of Thursday/Friday it makes sense.

Since there's like three Tom Benson stadiums, some people still call the one in Canton Fawcett Stadium. 

Yeah. But Cantonians are quick to point out it's got a new name. They try to say it wasn't a naming rights deal, but basically he donated money and got a statue of himself put up and the stadium named after him. Should've just been Hall of Fame Stadium.

As for Texas, it would've made sense just to move those three titles to the Wednesday from the getgo, but they didn't.

Instead, 3AD1 added another round of playoffs (and doubled the number of teams), so they could play the same week as the rest of the state. And forced them to have four games on Thursday, which was already unable to work scheduling wise.

The 6-Man games always wanted to be part of the 11-man finals, and despite going to AT&T Stadium, they were still the weekend before.  When they played one year at NRG, the 6-Man finals were moved back to Abilene. But, when they moved back to AT&T Stadium, the 6-man games were scheduled for the Wednesday night before the four-game Thursday. Which, if you intended to go to all of them, made for a brutal schedule. Thank God the 6-man games both ended in 45s to end them early. But, then finally they wisened up and moved the first 2A (formerly 1A 11-Man) to play on Wednesday night.

3 hours ago, willmorris said:

Give it five years, NJ will have public school state finals.

I expect it. This 'first step' was huge. Now all 13 games are at MetLife Stadium and all the group games are just at the higher seed. No more games at Kean, Rowan, Rutgers, etc. But until they change their bylaws, they can't have state finals. But, as you agree, they will change that after a few years of this and the schools see how it works and get it moved on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took these 'bowls' or whatever they call them, and put 8 games (two quadrupleheaders) at MetLife, and the 'southern' games back at Rowan. And then the 8 state finals will be played back at MetLife again (5 public and the 3 private). With another two quadrupleheaders back at MetLife. Because a lot of schools really liked playing at MetLife. Shrinking to only 8 games instead of 13, they're going to want more games at MetLife.

10 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I expect it. This 'first step' was huge. Now all 13 games are at MetLife Stadium and all the group games are just at the higher seed. No more games at Kean, Rowan, Rutgers, etc. But until they change their bylaws, they can't have state finals. But, as you agree, they will change that after a few years of this and the schools see how it works and get it moved on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took these 'bowls' or whatever they call them, and put 8 games (two quadrupleheaders) at MetLife, and the 'southern' games back at Rowan. And then the 8 state finals will be played back at MetLife again (5 public and the 3 private). With another two quadrupleheaders back at MetLife. Because a lot of schools really liked playing at MetLife. Shrinking to only 8 games instead of 13, they're going to want more games at MetLife.

I could see the North semifinals being at WPU or Kean instead of MetLife; South could be at Rowan, possibly TCNJ. If you do state finals at MetLife, you could actually get away in theory with 3-2-3 in this scenario. Remember, you need 5 weeks for the publics and only 4 for the non-publics. So you play the Non-Publics on Thanksgiving week and the publics the week after.

Of course, what also has to die for this proposal to work is Thanksgiving football. It's starting to fall through; several teams have started moving their Thanksgiving games into the regular season proper. (Incidentally, that's basically how they decided which bowl games were which weeks - the ones held next week all feature at least one team that played on Thanksgiving.)

LvZYtbZ.png

1 hour ago, willmorris said:

I could see the North semifinals being at WPU or Kean instead of MetLife; South could be at Rowan, possibly TCNJ. If you do state finals at MetLife, you could actually get away in theory with 3-2-3 in this scenario. Remember, you need 5 weeks for the publics and only 4 for the non-publics. So you play the Non-Publics on Thanksgiving week and the publics the week after.

Of course, what also has to die for this proposal to work is Thanksgiving football. It's starting to fall through; several teams have started moving their Thanksgiving games into the regular season proper. (Incidentally, that's basically how they decided which bowl games were which weeks - the ones held next week all feature at least one team that played on Thanksgiving.)

Just do what Kirkwood and Webster Groves in Missouri do (the only Thanksgiving game west of the MIssissippi). If one of the teams is still in the state playoffs (state semifinals), they'd just make it a JV game that year. If both are out of the playoffs, then it's a varsity game.

In the CIF-Southern Section, the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the nation met in the Division 1 title game for the third straight season, and again, as it was in the league match-up, the No. 2 team won. However, Mater Dei and St. John Bosco were in flipped positions.

In October, then No. 2 St. John Bosco beat No. 1 Mater Dei, 41-18, on a Saturday after lightning shifted the game from Friday.

On Friday, No. 2 Mater Dei summoned its defense to limit and beat No. 1 St. John Bosco, 17-13.

Reigning national champion Mater Dei won its second straight CIF-SS title and now waits for the conclusion of the Northern California playoffs for its opponent in the CIF State Open Division championship game on Dec. 8 (likely Concord De La Salle). Nationally, Mater Dei is No. 1 in both of MaxPreps' rankings, but actually fell to No. 3 in the USA Today poll despite the win. Mater Dei stayed behind Bosco who fell to No. 2 behind undefeated Allen, Texas.

Other CIF-SS title games:

Division 2: Upland def. Rancho Verde, 24-13

Division 3: Sierra Canyon def. Cajon, 34-30

Division 4: Grace Brethren def. Corona del Mar, 26-14

Division 5: Lawndale def. Palos Verdes, 34-20

Division 6: South Hills def. Oxnard, 23-14

Division 7: Culver City def. San Jacinto, 61-21

Division 8: Kaiser def. Arcadia, 38-35

Division 9: San Gorgonio def. Brea Olinda, 21-17

Division 10: Eisenhower def. Highland, 38-15

Division 11: Western def. Peninsula, 49-21

Division 12: Linfield Christian def. Artesia, 70-32

Division 13: Adelanto def. Orange Vista, 20-15

For the State playoffs, division champions in the Los Angeles City Section, San Diego Section, Southern Section, and some Central and Sac-Joaquin Section teams are placed in 12 SoCal Regional Championship games. State Championship games will be played Dec. 14/15 with Divisions 1AA, 1A, 2AA, 2A at Cerritos College and all others at host sites. The State Open Division Championship game is handpicked by the CIF committee and will be played Dec. 8 at Cerritos College. The State Division 7-AA teams were given regional byes and their championship game (Santee at Denair) will be played this Saturday, Dec. 1.

CIF SoCal Regional Championships Fri/Sat (NorCal Regionals next week):

DIVISION 1–AA: Narbonne at Cathedral Catholic

DIVISION 1–A: Sierra Canyon at Upland

DIVISION 2–AA:  St. Augustine vs. Grace Brethren at Cal Lutheran University

DIVISION 2–A: Lawndale vs. South Hills at Covina District Stadium

DIVISION 3–AA: Lincoln, San Diego at Culver City

DIVISION 3–A: Eisenhower at Kaiser 

DIVISION 4–AA: Morse at Central Valley Christian

DIVISION 4–A: Kennedy, Delano at Garfield

DIVISION 5–AA: Western at San Gorgonio

DIVISION 5–A: Linfield Christian at San Diego

DIVISION 6–AA: Adelanto at Strathmore

DIVISION 6–A: Locke at Orange Glen

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

10 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

In the CIF-Southern Section, the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the nation met in the Division 1 title game for the third straight season, and again, as it was in the league match-up, the No. 2 team won. However, Mater Dei and St. John Bosco were in flipped positions.

In October, then No. 2 St. John Bosco beat No. 1 Mater Dei, 41-18, on a Saturday after lightning shifted the game from Friday.

On Friday, No. 2 Mater Dei summoned its defense to limit and beat No. 1 St. John Bosco, 17-13.

Reigning national champion Mater Dei won its second straight CIF-SS title and now waits for the conclusion of the Northern California playoffs for its opponent in the CIF State Open Division championship game on Dec. 8 (likely Concord De La Salle). Nationally, Mater Dei is No. 1 in both of MaxPreps' rankings, but actually fell to No. 3 in the USA Today poll despite the win. Mater Dei stayed behind Bosco who fell to No. 2 behind undefeated Allen, Texas.

Other CIF-SS title games:

Division 2: Upland def. Rancho Verde, 24-13

Division 3: Sierra Canyon def. Cajon, 34-30

Division 4: Grace Brethren def. Corona del Mar, 26-14

Division 5: Lawndale def. Palos Verdes, 34-20

Division 6: South Hills def. Oxnard, 23-14

Division 7: Culver City def. San Jacinto, 61-21

Division 8: Kaiser def. Arcadia, 38-35

Division 9: San Gorgonio def. Brea Olinda, 21-17

Division 10: Eisenhower def. Highland, 38-15

Division 11: Western def. Peninsula, 49-21

Division 12: Linfield Christian def. Artesia, 70-32

Division 13: Adelanto def. Orange Vista, 20-15

For the State playoffs, division champions in the Los Angeles City Section, San Diego Section, Southern Section, and some Central and Sac-Joaquin Section teams are placed in 12 SoCal Regional Championship games. State Championship games will be played Dec. 14/15 with Divisions 1AA, 1A, 2AA, 2A at Cerritos College and all others at host sites. The State Open Division Championship game is handpicked by the CIF committee and will be played Dec. 8 at Cerritos College. The State Division 7-AA teams were given regional byes and their championship game (Santee at Denair) will be played this Saturday, Dec. 1.

CIF SoCal Regional Championships Fri/Sat (NorCal Regionals next week):

DIVISION 1–AA: Narbonne at Cathedral Catholic

DIVISION 1–A: Sierra Canyon at Upland

DIVISION 2–AA:  St. Augustine vs. Grace Brethren at Cal Lutheran University

DIVISION 2–A: Lawndale vs. South Hills at Covina District Stadium

DIVISION 3–AA: Lincoln, San Diego at Culver City

DIVISION 3–A: Eisenhower at Kaiser 

DIVISION 4–AA: Morse at Central Valley Christian

DIVISION 4–A: Kennedy, Delano at Garfield

DIVISION 5–AA: Western at San Gorgonio

DIVISION 5–A: Linfield Christian at San Diego

DIVISION 6–AA: Adelanto at Strathmore

DIVISION 6–A: Locke at Orange Glen

I look at this and it reminds me of the announcers describing the Denslow Cup playoff series. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I look at this and it reminds me of the announcers describing the Denslow Cup playoff series. 

Haha yeah, on the outside, the State levels of California playoffs are confusing as all hell. That's why until recently most sports ended at the Section playoffs. It was really only cross country and track that went on to State, and even still, they're probably the only ones that truly care about State, at least in the Southern Section.

In nearly every sport but especially football, teams want to win the CIF-SS title. Win their league, win CIF-SS. That's it. These SoCal regionals and State playoffs are extra, and kind of confusing. Hell some sports like water polo and soccer don't even have State title games. They have SoCal regionals and are done.

2 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Haha yeah, on the outside, the State levels of California playoffs are confusing as all hell. That's why until recently most sports ended at the Section playoffs. It was really only cross country and track that went on to State, and even still, they're probably the only ones that truly care about State, at least in the Southern Section.

In nearly every sport but especially football, teams want to win the CIF-SS title. Win their league, win CIF-SS. These SoCal regionals and State playoffs are extra, and kind of confusing. Hell some sports like water polo and soccer don't even have State title games. They have SoCal regionals and are done.

Is it the distance to Sacramento that plays a part? In Ohio, somewhere near Columbus hosts most state championships. Football is starting to become a rotation between Columbus and Canton and sometimes wrestling has been done in Dayton. In Texas, state championship games could be played almost anywhere as long as the two teams agreed. Now that AT&T Stadium exists, Jerry Jones lobbies like crazy to play all the games there and even hands out a separate game trophy to go with the state championship trophy. Basketball rotates between San Antonio and Austin and I think Houston has games too. I'm surprised that California doesn't use the bigger college fields instead of Cerritos either. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

39 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is it the distance to Sacramento that plays a part? In Ohio, somewhere near Columbus hosts most state championships. Football is starting to become a rotation between Columbus and Canton and sometimes wrestling has been done in Dayton. In Texas, state championship games could be played almost anywhere as long as the two teams agreed. Now that AT&T Stadium exists, Jerry Jones lobbies like crazy to play all the games there and even hands out a separate game trophy to go with the state championship trophy. Basketball rotates between San Antonio and Austin and I think Houston has games too. I'm surprised that California doesn't use the bigger college fields instead of Cerritos either. 

Football championship games were competed at Sacramento State the past three seasons. This year is the first at Cerritos College. (FWIW, they got a sold out 10,000 people at Cerritos for the CIF-SS D1 game.) When they began the State Bowl games in 2008 to 2014, they played at the StubHub Center. CIF-SS used to host the Division 1 title game at Angel Stadium until this year. For stadiums, CIF is looking to maximize the experience (and money), so I understand putting it in slightly smaller venues. Playing State games at the Rose Bowl or Coliseum would seem a tad ridiculous for the crowd. (Plus again, smaller colleges cost less to rent, so you increase the profit margin on ticket sales. And they'd rather play to a packed house than a 1/6th full one. I know for sure that's one reason they left Angel Stadium.)

Also, crowds are just smaller for State playoffs than they are for the Section championships. These State playoffs are so relatively new in the grand scheme of California high school sports, so in the same way that teams are apathetic to competing in them, the fans are more so. I'd say casual high school sports fans barely know they even exist because there's such a ramp-up to the Section games.

It's partly distance sure, because California is just so long north to south. Seasons are long as is, so do you really want to add 6/7/8 hour bus trips all over the state at the end of it? You also get some territorial things, like power schools in LA/OC or the Bay Area don't want to play their title game in a "lesser" spot say, somewhere in the middle, like Fresno. It's also the sheer amount of schools (Nearly 600 in the Southern Section alone, the largest of the 10 sections). That's one reason that it took forever to even organize some sort of State playoff. And now, Sections organize their divisions different from each other (CIF-SS does a power-point ranking system now as opposed to enrollment), so that adds to confusion.

In basketball, outside of three one-year occasions, the State championships have been played in Sacramento since 1996. They were played at the Oakland Coliseum from 1981-95 except for two one-year occasions. (LA Sports Arena 1983, Sacramento ARCO Arena 1992, Anaheim Arrowhead Pond 1997, Bakersfield Rabobank Arena 2010, UC Berkeley Haas Pavilion 2015) (CIF-SS basketball is split, but the top divisions played in Anaheim from 1992-2017, and either the LA Sports Arena or Long Beach Arena before that. Last year was at the Pyramid at Long Beach State.)

On 11/26/2018 at 2:02 PM, MJWalker45 said:

The games are all at AT&T Stadium because the UIL now hosts all the games at one site on one weekend. 

The days of the two teams deciding where to play are long over. 

UIL also requires the state titles must be played in a dome, as well. 

The results from the 2018 Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) Football Championships - aka, the Massachusetts State High School Super Bowls - are in the books! Here is how things shook out in all eight divisions...

Division 1
St. John's Preparatory School Eagles 40 - Catholic Memorial School Knights 22
The Eagles finished the season with a 10-2 record, while the Knights closed out the year at 9-3.

Division 2
North Andover High School Scarlet Knights 6 - King Philip Regional High School Warriors 0
The Scarlet Knights' victory capped an undefeated 12-0 season, while King Philip finished at 9-3.

Division 3
Central High School (Springfield) Golden Eagles 20 - Tewksbury Memorial High School Redmen 7

The Golden Eagles claimed their first ever Super Bowl title en route to an 11-1 season, while Tewksbury wrapped up an 11-2 campaign.

Division 4
Nashoba Regional High School 
Chieftains 31 - Dighton-Rehoboth Regional High School Falcons 0
Nashoba Regional's shutout championship win saw the team finish 12-1, while the Falcons wound up at 9-3 on the year. 

Division 5
Scituate High School Sailors 35 - Nipmuc Regional High School Warriors 14

The Sailors powered to a 12-1 record with their title game triumph, while Nipmuc Regional finished the season at 10-2.

Division 6
Stoneham High School Spartans 26 - Old Rochester Regional High School Bulldogs 20
The Spartans' win put the finishing touches on a 12-1 year, while the Bulldogs wrapped up at 11-1.  

Division 7
Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School Beavers 18 - St. Mary's High School Spartans 0
The Beavers' Super Bowl victory put the button on an 11-1 season, while the Spartans finished at 8-5. 

Division 8
St. Bernard's Central Catholic High School Bernardians 46 - Pope John XXIII High School Tigers 35

The Bernardians' offensive explosion in the championship saw them finish the year 12-1, while the Tigers closed out the season at 12-1.   

Ohio had their state finals this past weekend:

Thursday

Division 2 - Akron Archbishop Hoban 42, Massillon Washington 28

Friday

Division 6 - Kirtland 16, Maria Stein Marion Local 7

Division 3 - Chagrin Falls Kenston 42, Kettering Archbishop Alter 6

Division 1 - Lakewood St. Edward 24, Cincinnati Colerain 10

Saturday

Division 7 - McComb 28, Glouster Trimble 3

Division 5 - Orrville 49, Johnstown-Monroe 34

Division 4 - Cincinnati Wyoming 42, Girard 14

Tennessee held their state finals

Thursday

Class 2A - Peabody 17, Trousdale County 9

Class 4A - Greeneville 56, Haywood 21

Class 6A - Oakland 37, Whitehaven 0

Friday

Class II-1A Davidson 39, Friendship Christian 27

Class II-2A Christ Presbyterian 41, Battle Ground 21

Class II-3A Brentwood Academy 28, Memphis University 6

Saturday

Class 1A - Whitwell 7, Cornersville 6

Class 3A - Alcoa 21, Covington 14

Sunday

Class 5A - Knoxville Central 14, Henry County 9

The 5A game was postponed from Saturday night due to lightning. Was played at 2pm on Sunday instead. All games were at Tennessee Tech's Tucker Stadium in Cookeville. A dilapidated stadium in bad need of a rehab.

West Virginia

West Virginia held their "Super Six" at Wheeling Island Stadium in Wheeling... on Wheeling Island.

Friday

2A - Fairmont Senior 23, Bluefield 13

Saturday

3A - Martinsburg 31, Spring Valley 7

1A - Wheeling Central Catholic 44, Williamstown 15

Pennsylvania

The PIAA semifinals were played this weekend, and here's the championship schedule for Hersheypark Stadium next weekend:

Thursday

1pm 1A - Farrell v. Lackawanna Trail

7pm 4A - Erie Cathedral Prep v. Philadelphia Imhotep Charter

Friday

1pm 2A - Wilmington v. Southern Columbia

7pm 5A - Penn Hills v. Manheim Central

Saturday

1pm 3A - Aliquippa v. Middletown

6pm 6A - Harrisburg v. Philadelphia St. Joseph's Prep

Virginia State Championship match-ups  are set for this coming Saturday.

6A

Freedom Eagles vs. Manchester Lancers- 4:00pm @ Hampton University, Hampton, VA

Both are searching for their first state title

5A

Highland Springs Springers vs. Stone Bridge Bull Dogs- Noon @ Hampton University, Hampton, VA

HS has 1 state title in 6 appearances and Stone Bridge has 4 titles in 6 appearances

4A

Woodgrove Wolverines vs. Lake Taylor Titans- 4:00pm @ Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA

Woodgrove making its first appearance in the big game before moving up 2 divisions next season. They will have their hands full with the 2 time state champs, Lake Taylor.

3A

Heritage Pioneers vs. Phoebus Phantoms- Noon @ Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA

Heritage has 1 title in 4 appearances facing a Phoebus team that has won every state game that they have played in (7).

2A

Graham G-Men vs Goochland Bulldogs- 4:00pm @ Salem Stadium, Salem, VA

Graham has won 3 titles in their 4 appearances. Goochland has 2 titles in their 3 appearances. 

1A

Chilhowie Warriors vs. Riverheads Gladiators- Noon @ Salem Stadium, Salem, VA

A rematch of last years game

Chilhowie has 1 title to their name out of 2 appearances. Riverheads has 5 titles in 6 appearances and have won the last 3 years. 

Pennsylvania had their titles this past weekend.

All six games are played at Hersheypark Stadium in Hershey, PA. Just outside Harrisburg, the capital.

Thursday

1A - Farrell 55, Lackawanna Trail 20 (was 42-7 at the half)

4A - Erie Cathedral Prep 38, Philadelphia Imhotep Charter 7

Friday

2A - Southern Columbia 49, Wilmington 14 (was 14-14 at the half)

5A - Penn Hills 36, Manheim Central 31 (was 30-7 at one point in 3rd)

Saturday

3A - Aliquippa 35, Middletown 0 (was 7-0 at the half)

6A - Philadelphia St. Joseph's Prep 40, Harrisburg 20

Some good games got ugly as the second half went on. Was cool, but extremely windy. Not nearly the bad weather as in years past. No precipitation at all. Prep-Imhotep was the fourth straight year those two played in the finals. Southern Columbia-Wilmington was a rematch of last year (SC won 48-0). Middletown was in their third straight title game, losing all three to three different teams from the same conference (Beaver Falls, Quaker Valley, and Aliquippa). St. Joseph's Prep lost last year to Pine-Richland, but beat them in the semifinals this year, 37-0, and then beat Harrisburg pretty decisively despite the score (Harrisburg got a pick-six to open the game, and kept it close through halftime).

Every team that won a state title this weekend has won a state title in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived