Sharks Switch to Stealth Mode with New Alternate Uniform

SportsLogos.Net News

Just now, Placebo said:

Plus it has always bothered me thst the blade tape does not go all the way around

That’s because the designer didn’t realize it was supposed to be tape.  Somebody tells him that after the unveiling, and it bugs him as long as the logo is used. 

181.png

He also didn’t realize that the knob on the end of the stick is made out of tape as well.

Fifteen years later, the team goes back to the original designer, asks for a refresh.  And finally, he gets to fix the tape on the blade. 

6379_san_jose_sharks-primary-2008.png

Still has that knob, though. 

What’s amazing to me is that nobody from the team or league said anything, during either design process. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s because the designer didn’t realize it was supposed to be tape.  Somebody tells him that after the unveiling, and it bugs him as long as the logo is used. 

181.png

He also didn’t realize that the knob on the end of the stick is made out of tape as well.

Fifteen years later, the team goes back to the original designer, asks for a refresh.  And finally, he gets to fix the tape on the blade. 

6379_san_jose_sharks-primary-2008.png

Still has that knob, though. 

What’s amazing to me is that nobody from the team or league said anything, during either design process. 

Haha! Forgive my ignorance, but is that true?

25 minutes ago, Placebo said:

Haha! Forgive my ignorance, but is that true?

The designer, Terry Smith, did an interview in 2007(?), when the new logo was unveiled. I can’t seem to find it immediately, but in it he mentioned not being thrilled with the execution of the original logo, and being given a chance to go back and take another crack at it.  He also mentioned the blade tape. 

35 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The designer, Terry Smith, did an interview in 2007(?), when the new logo was unveiled. I can’t seem to find it immediately, but in it he mentioned not being thrilled with the execution of the original logo, and being given a chance to go back and take another crack at it.  He also mentioned the blade tape. 

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think anyone in the area instantly recognizes Long Island. 

islanders.png

It’s so recognizable, in fact, that most people don’t have to look at it closely.  Which is why many are surprised to learn/realize that Queens and Brooklyn are left off. 

I've been following hockey for 30 years, on these boards since Chris started them, and I JUST noticed that the "I" in Islanders sits up higher than the "S"...throwing the balance of the whole word off visually.

...and it irritates the hell out of me that I can't unsee it.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

1 hour ago, agentrygraphics said:

I've been following hockey for 30 years, on these boards since Chris started them, and I JUST noticed that the "I" in Islanders sits up higher than the "S"...throwing the balance of the whole word off visually.

...and it irritates the hell out of me that I can't unsee it.

It points to the arena, so it was a design choice.  Not a big deal, IMO...

My money's on them going with white numbers and a barely-visible teal outline.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow that looks drab.

Why can't they just figure out how to use black, teal and grey? Not that hard. The stick looks a bit tacky being in teal.

And they still have a orange eye? Eh? Why not grey? Thats kinda one of those features of sharks is their dead, ghostly eyes....not some sort of cartoon anime style :censored:.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

White numbers, as predicted. Also, get a load of this cornball bull :censored: .

https://www.nhl.com/sharks/team/stealth-jersey

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So incredibly boring!

And no teal outline on numbers,  and those numbers are way too big as well. No hem stripes as well.  This jersey gets an F- from me

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/1043697087727071232?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1043697087727071232&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2Fnba%2F

The process of creating the jersey was a lengthy one, with the Sharks having gone through "two to three hundred variations" of the design. Then Adidas collaborated on the jersey, which led to perhaps its most unique feature: a raised, embossed design on the sleeves that is supposed to mimic the pattern of a Silicon Valley microchip.

?

I give it a 6.5/10

It's not terrible, but its not strong. It looks a bit flat. And the shoulder patches are in a different style so they look odd. Best thing about it is the collar.

But overall I'm disappointed.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived