Mac the Knife

Trivia Question

Recommended Posts

A regulation game is not necessarily nine innings; a rain-shortened game counts as a regulation game.  That can be as short as five innings. So that means a pitcher can face 15 hitters and be considered to have pitched an entire regulation game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A regulation game is not necessarily nine innings; a rain-shortened game counts as a regulation game.  That can be as short as five innings. So that means a pitcher can face 15 hitters and be considered to have pitched an entire regulation game.

I see your point but even with your stipulation, that wouldn't be the right answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, willmorris said:

Here's one. Theoretically, to pitch a regulation Major League Baseball game, what is the minimum number of batters that you have to face?

 

Zero - every batter bats out of order and is called out?

 

Wild guess, I'm not sure if batting out of order counts as a plate appearance/batter faced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

 

Zero - every batter bats out of order and is called out?

 

Wild guess, I'm not sure if batting out of order counts as a plate appearance/batter faced?

It does, actually! So that doesn't save you. There's something you all are missing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, willmorris said:

It does, actually! So that doesn't save you. There's something you all are missing...

 

A forfeit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 12:52 PM, willmorris said:

Here's one. Theoretically, to pitch a regulation Major League Baseball game, what is the minimum number of batters that you have to face?

 

On 10/15/2018 at 1:20 PM, willmorris said:

We do mean a complete game, but it's not 27.

24. You’d have to be the away team and if the home team has the lead, they don’t bat the 9th, so 24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jn8 said:

 

24. You’d have to be the away team and if the home team has the lead, they don’t bat the 9th, so 24

hold up, i thought it was outs recorded...

doing some math here, 25? 24 outs and a solo home run? and then not having to face the home team in the bottom of the 9th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jn8 said:

hold up, i thought it was outs recorded...

doing some math here, 25? 24 outs and a solo home run? and then not having to face the home team in the bottom of the 9th

And that would be correct. In theory, you could pitch a complete game that was rain-shortened facing 13 batters in the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one I came across recently...

 

In all of baseball's postseason history, there has been exactly one game where neither side had no strikeouts. Which game was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, willmorris said:
22 hours ago, jn8 said:

hold up, i thought it was outs recorded...

doing some math here, 25? 24 outs and a solo home run? and then not having to face the home team in the bottom of the 9th

And that would be correct. In theory, you could pitch a complete game that was rain-shortened facing 13 batters in the same way.

 

No, the fifth inning has to be completed for the game to be official; there can be no walk-off home run. So the losing team's pitcher will have to face at least 16 hitters (one run must have scored), no matter whether home or away; while the winning team's pitcher could face as few as 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

No, the fifth inning has to be completed for the game to be official; there can be no walk-off home run. So the losing team's pitcher will have to face at least 16 hitters (one run must have scored), no matter whether home or away; while the winning team's pitcher could face as few as 15.

4 1/2 if the home team leads; you could always have the one run in the first inning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willmorris said:
3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

No, the fifth inning has to be completed for the game to be official; there can be no walk-off home run. So the losing team's pitcher will have to face at least 16 hitters (one run must have scored), no matter whether home or away; while the winning team's pitcher could face as few as 15.

4 1/2 if the home team leads; you could always have the one run in the first inning.

 

No. If the bottom of the fifth inning is not completed, the game is washed out and must be replayed from the beginning. And none of the stats in the rained-out game count.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

No. If the bottom of the fifth inning is not completed, the game is washed out and must be replayed from the beginning. And none of the stats in the rained-out game count.

 

Quote

Since most professional baseball games are nine innings long, the fifth inning is used as the threshold for an official game. If the visiting team is leading, or the game is tied, the end of the fifth inning marks this point. If the home team (which bats last) is already ahead in the score, and theoretically would not need its half of the fifth inning, then 4½ innings (i.e., the middle of the fifth) is considered an official game. The game is also considered official if the home team scores to take the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning, since the game would end immediately if the same thing happened in the ninth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_game

Second paragraph 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

You've done it!

 

1980 ALCS Yankees - lost 0-3 to Royals

1981 ALDS Royals - lost 0-3 to A's

1984 ALCS Royals - lost 0-3 to Tigers

1985 ALCS Royals - lost games 1 and 2 to Blue Jays before winning series and ultimately the World Series

Never mention the 1985 World Series again! Thank you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2018 at 8:26 AM, Quillz said:

Here's one I came across recently...

 

In all of baseball's postseason history, there has been exactly one game where neither side had no strikeouts. Which game was it?

 

I don't remember the exact date, but it was the Tigers and Blue Jays in 1985.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

 

I don't remember the exact date, but it was the Tigers and Blue Jays in 1985.

The Tigers and Blue Jays have never played one another in the postseason, so this is incorrect. I'll also give a hint: this game occurred prior to the 1980s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quillz said:

The Tigers and Blue Jays have never played one another in the postseason, so this is incorrect. I'll also give a hint: this game occurred prior to the 1980s.

Oh, postseason, I missed that part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Quillz said:

Here's one I came across recently...

 

In all of baseball's postseason history, there has been exactly one game where neither side had no strikeouts. Which game was it?

Game 7 of the 1960 World Series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Game 7 of the 1960 World Series

Correct. Had something else of note not happened in that game, that somewhat remarkable stat might have been better remembered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now