Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

As for the "golden goose" comment... sure... I would consider them a golden goose. Perennial ranked teams in both basketball and football,

In what time frame are we using to evaluate this? Yeah they've had a couple of good football teams recently and decent basketball from time to time, but football has been overachieving based on historical par and basketball really doesn't have that many basketball titles to show for their efforts. And of course, the mid 2000s were a disaster on the court thanks to one Quin Snyder.

keeping the rivalry with Nebraska,

Uhwah? Nebraska doesn't consider them a rival.

as well as bringing in the Kansas City and St. Louis markets. I'd say its pretty golden.

Covered by Nebraska and Illinois respectively. Mizzou'd be nice to have but its not a crippling loss.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Basketball programs are important to this discussion. They are moving with football. Mizzou's basketball is moving with their football. Boise State would be in the Big 12 by now if Football wasn't the only thing they were good in. If Boise State had some Final Fours under their belt they would be hot.

And yet one of the most storied programs in college basketball history (Kansas) could very well have been scrambling for a home after last year's realignment chatter.

It's simple:

Why isn't anyone interested in Kansas? Because basketball is an afterthought in realignment talks.

Why isn't anyone in Rice or Tulane? Because academics are irrelevant in realignment talks.

mod edit DING! Thank you for bringing the light. Now, everyone, back to the FOOTBALL realignment discussion.

Oh they're relevant. Except we speak in terms of mad research dollars not grades.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And Rice and Tulane aren't getting any big invites because their football programs aren't good.

Speaking of Tulane, I see where Bob Toledo stepped away from the head football coaching position today. If all of a sudden Mike Leach pops up as their new coach then my harebrained notion of a longshot Green Wave-to-the-Big-XII scenario I discussed a few pages back doesn't seem so far-fetched. Again, a guy like Leach could pull in a lot of local guys not on LSU's shopping list and could gut the recruiting base for the 3 other non-BCS schools in Louisiana. Suddenly, Tulane has a *fairly decent* program, perhaps on par with Kansas and (assumed invitee) Louisville. Plus, Leach knows how to recruit Texas and wouldn't it be lovely for him to steal a prospect or two from Tech?

This is the kind of crap that festers in the unoccupied corners of my mind.

/ESPN orders the Big XII to not invite Tulane.

Today, we are all otaku.

Covered by Nebraska and Illinois respectively. Mizzou'd be nice to have but its not a crippling loss.

The Big 10 receives 70% of profit from States that contain a school within the conference. The Big 10 receives 30% of profit from States that do NOT contain a school within the conference. Done.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The Big 10 receives 70% of profit from States that contain a school within the conference. The Big 10 receives 30% of profit from States that do NOT contain a school within the conference. Done.

Again, is that 40% loss on profit that crippling?

Today, we are all otaku.

Not quite. They get 70 cents per subscriber in states with a Big Ten school. 30 cents from states without a Big Ten schools. That's revenue, not exactly profits. Secondly it isn't hard and fast, it is based on consumer demand. So a state like Missouri with a presumably large Illini alumni base and a lot of Nebraska fans in the KC areathe demand the rates for the channel is probably closer to 70 cents than 30 cents.

And Rice and Tulane aren't getting any big invites because their football programs aren't good.

Speaking of Tulane, I see where Bob Toledo stepped away from the head football coaching position today. If all of a sudden Mike Leach pops up as their new coach then my harebrained notion of a longshot Green Wave-to-the-Big-XII scenario I discussed a few pages back doesn't seem so far-fetched. Again, a guy like Leach could pull in a lot of local guys not on LSU's shopping list and could gut the recruiting base for the 3 other non-BCS schools in Louisiana. Suddenly, Tulane has a *fairly decent* program, perhaps on par with Kansas and (assumed invitee) Louisville. Plus, Leach knows how to recruit Texas and wouldn't it be lovely for him to steal a prospect or two from Tech?

Tulane should've stayed in the SEC if they wanted to be in a major conference.

Just like ESPN told the ACC which schools to steal from the Big East :P

Edited by EskimoAldus

From what I'm hearing, when Missouri joins the SEC, they'll be joining the East or else Alabama and Tennessee have been overruled. Not sure if it'll be similar to the mockup I posted way earlier or what. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I guess if they're trying to preserve these inter-conference rivalries, it does.

Again, is that 40% loss on profit that crippling?

Crippling? No. Impactful? Yes.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I heard Alabama will support their entry if they go into the East. Of course it could only be for a year or two if they end up going to 16, Plus I read the Arkansas AD said they will not expand into a state that currently has a conferene team, which would rule out FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson, and Louisville who may have had an outside chance at the 16th spot. Still leaves WV as an option though, but who else? Va Tech? Thought they were basically joined at the hip with Virginia. The SEC could also basically be saying we're staying at 14 without actually saying it, while just leaving the door cracked open slightly enough to possibly add 2 more. Though it's probably just another "we're not the aggressors" move.

Precisely. Missouri is now a redundant market for the Big 10. The only relevant TV markets within the state have a sufficient nexus with an exisiting Big 10 school. Missouri would have been an absolute slam-dunk for the Big 10 had Nebraska not joined. Now it's not even a worst-case scenario consideration. There simply aren't enough new TV's to capture.

I heard Alabama will support their entry if they go into the East. Of course it could only be for a year or two if they end up going to 16, Plus I read the Arkansas AD said they will not expand into a state that currently has a conferene team, which would rule out FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson, and Louisville who may have had an outside chance at the 16th spot. Still leaves WV as an option though, but who else? Va Tech? Thought they were basically joined at the hip with Virginia. The SEC could also basically be saying we're staying at 14 without actually saying it, while just leaving the door cracked open slightly enough to possibly add 2 more. Though it's probably just another "we're not the aggressors" move.

I still think the SEC has Oklahoma in the back of their minds. Just saying.

Sure they do, however there's a lot of hoops to jump to make that happen. First, they'd have to bring OSU in too. OU and OSU are absolutely a package deal. Second, they'd almost surely have to contend with some level of legal wrangling with the Big XII. Remember, Chuck Neinas said that the Big XII would be fine without Missouri, but didn't say they'd be fine without any of the other schools. While Texas may be the "anchor" of the conference (feel free to infer multiple interpretations of that term), it's pretty clear that OU is part of the conference's bedrock. Third, the conference would still need to find one more school to round up the SEC roster to an even number. In all likelihood this would still be Missouri as they'd probably compete within a pod with the other Big XII refugees. Fourth, the SEC would have to be content with committing to what would likely be a "permanent" (relative term) 16 team configuration with no more options to capture more schools if and when the next tectonic conference shift comes. I'm not sure the SEC wants to be the first to 16 in this round of expansionpalooza.

I think is more of an inevitablility that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State end up in the PAC in the next year or two. I don't believe they're committed to the Big XII long term, and I think they'll be more than willing to seperate themselves from Texas and just become a 2-team package. I think the PAC would be more open to just 2 schools at a time rather than adding 4 more at once. This would leave out Texas Tech, but I don't think the Oklahoma schools are all that concerned with getting them in as well. They could take TT if BYU is an option for a 16th school, but that's less likely at this time.

Sure they do, however there's a lot of hoops to jump to make that happen. First, they'd have to bring OSU in too. OU and OSU are absolutely a package deal. Second, they'd almost surely have to contend with some level of legal wrangling with the Big XII. Remember, Chuck Neinas said that the Big XII would be fine without Missouri, but didn't say they'd be fine without any of the other schools. While Texas may be the "anchor" of the conference (feel free to infer multiple interpretations of that term), it's pretty clear that OU is part of the conference's bedrock. Third, the conference would still need to find one more school to round up the SEC roster to an even number. In all likelihood this would still be Missouri as they'd probably compete within a pod with the other Big XII refugees. Fourth, the SEC would have to be content with committing to what would likely be a "permanent" (relative term) 16 team configuration with no more options to capture more schools if and when the next tectonic conference shift comes. I'm not sure the SEC wants to be the first to 16 in this round of expansionpalooza.

I probably should have clarified that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State might be a future members down the road after this round of expansion settles in. I can see the SEC sticking with 14 for the next 5 or 6 years and then maybe go to 16 in 2017 or 2018.