Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

From what I remember, the MAC revoked the past football-only membership of UMass because the Minutemen had insisted upon staying in the Atlantic-10 in other sports.  Thus, I am curious as to how much of an edge -- if any -- the MAC holds over the A10 in media rights revenue these days.

As for Western Kentucky University as a MAC member, that school has long had to deal with its home television market (Bowling Green, Kentucky) being one of the thirty smallest TV markets in the United States.  Meanwhile, Middle Tennessee State University is within the Nashville TV market, one of the thirty largest in the United States.  As nice as it would be for the MAC to add WKU by itself to get back to an even number of members, I am cynical enough to wonder if the MAC would rather take in the Hilltoppers only in conjunction with MTSU and (to even out the numbers) a third school.

2 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Thus, I am curious as to how much of an edge -- if any -- the MAC holds over the A10 in media rights revenue these days.

I would assume none outside of football.

The A10 regularly sends two teams to the tourney. Usually three.

The MAC has never sent more than two teams to the tourney, and even that feat hasn't been accomplished in over 20 years. They've only had one team finish in the top 25 since 1990.

I don't think it will do anything to help the football team out, but it sure will hurt the basketball team by sending them from one of the best conferences in D1 to one of the worst.

Might as well drop down to America East. At least Albany, Maine, and UNH are fairly close by. But again, every sport has to suffer because nothing gets in the way of giving the football program what it wants.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 3:58 PM, stumpygremlin said:

I wonder if the MAC invites WKU again to even out the numbers, now that they would only need them and not MTSU.

WKU just feels like a school that would feel at home at the MAC. I always assumed that they were in the MAC before I realized they were in the C-USA.

• Like 2

rAUPGPZ.png

9 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Clemson has reportedly filed a lawsuit against the ACC in South Carolina

As dumb as it sounds to say the GOR isn't an actual grant of all rights, a big part of Clemson's claim is that the GOR itself states that it is specifically for the ACC-ESPN deal. Their argument is that if you're no longer ACC, the ACC deal doesn't apply to you.

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

this is University of Texas at Rio Grande Valley, who will have a football team next year:

Depending on travel costs, this makes sense. Easier to rent three buses than to fly somewhere. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Depending on travel costs, this makes sense. Easier to rent three buses than to fly somewhere. 

It does. A good majority of the road trips they took in the WAC were all westward bound.

By joining the Southland, there's no more trips that go west. The farthest east they'll have to go to is New Orleans. The farthest north they'll have to go to is Commerce.

• Like 2

This  has to be a big blow for the WAC, and basically it will be on life support all over again like its 2013. First when they got the Texas-4 in 2021, everyone expected it would be a 12-team plus league with football reinstated as a conference sport. Only for those goals to be slowly perished: from New Mexico State and Sam Houston State to move to the nearly-defeunct C-USA effective this past fall (the latter being SHSU this upgrading to FBS status in the process WITHOUT a longtime rival like Stephen F. Austin State), to its chances to have football again out of the window (hence the sham of a merger called the UAC [alongside A-Sun football schools], to not even caring about exploring expansion candidates after losing Lamar (who just spent one season in the league) and was expecting to have Incarnate Word to join alongside Southern Utah and the returning non-fb. Texas-Arlington (only for UIW to withdraw last minute before the school year had ended). Is it yet safe that the WAC will eventually get to its imminent demise as an athletic conference?

No wonder UTRGV jumping ship to the Southland makes a fitting sense from a geographic standpoint and based on the history of athletics of the 'pseudo-new' school, the Vaqueros were indeed a former member of that conference for a few years back when it was still UTPA and had the Broncs nickname before merging Texas-Brownsville (then an NAIA school) and taking the Ocelots athletic heritage along the way. At least the Southland might potentially expand after this move. But would it involve the remaining Texas schools that are in the WAC currently (being Tarleton, Abilene and SFA) or would it have at least one more D2 callup? Because the WAC would just stay put as is with its current member schools with potential defections if possible. 

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Burmy said:

Mercyhurst University (Erie, Pennsylvania) is the newest D2 school to move up to D1...the Lakers are joining the NEC.

As destiny would have it, the Lakers already have a logo page on the mothership (because they were already playing D1 hockey in the AHA), though it is outdated.

The move helps in a couple of ways.

First off, it helps Chicago State out. They don't feel so isolated as the westernmost school in the NEC (weird, I know). It also helps St. Francis out by being not so isolated as well.

Secondly, football gets an easier transition - a school gets 63 scholarships at the FCS level. That's an additional 27 scholarships the school has to pay for, which might not be feasible for them. By joining the NEC, the numbers are easier to swallow here - schools in the NEC only give out 45 scholarships. This means Mercyhurst only has to add 9 more scholarships to be at compliance.

52 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

The move helps in a couple of ways.

First off, it helps Chicago State out. They don't feel so isolated as the westernmost school in the NEC (weird, I know). It also helps St. Francis out by being not so isolated as well.

Secondly, football gets an easier transition - a school gets 63 scholarships at the FCS level. That's an additional 27 scholarships the school has to pay for, which might not be feasible for them. By joining the NEC, the numbers are easier to swallow here - schools in the NEC only give out 45 scholarships. This means Mercyhurst only has to add 9 more scholarships to be at compliance.

What's more, with Duquesne as an associate football member and Robert Morris rejoining as one next season, Lakers football has three guaranteed in-state conference rivals.

As you mentioned, it helps Chicago State out at least a bit, not the least because the Cougars have been seriously considering adding football themselves (given CSU's financial woes, I think it's one of the most ludicrous ideas I've ever heard, but they're counting on it being a windfall as the only D1 football team in the Chi).

bYhYmxh.png

2 hours ago, Burmy said:

What's more, with Duquesne as an associate football member and Robert Morris rejoining as one next season, Lakers football has three guaranteed in-state conference rivals.

As you mentioned, it helps Chicago State out at least a bit, not the least because the Cougars have been seriously considering adding football themselves (given CSU's financial woes, I think it's one of the most ludicrous ideas I've ever heard, but they're counting on it being a windfall as the only D1 football team in the Chi).

Both Duquense and Robert Morris are in Pittsburgh, which is a short trip from Erie. That will come into play in 2025 as the conference schedule is already set and I don't know if they can change things with Mercyhurst jumping in.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

That will come into play in 2025 as the conference schedule is already set and I don't know if they can change things with Mercyhurst jumping in.

CUSA's 2022 conference schedule was set with the teams that would leave for the Sun Belt...but they soon reached a deal, and the schedule was revised.

I have no doubt that the NEC can revise their 2024 schedule with Mercyhurst on board.

bYhYmxh.png

• 3 weeks later...