Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

On 9/7/2023 at 7:34 PM, McCall said:

But what's the reasoning for there to be a second non-football school? Like, why would they feel that that's something they need to do?

It gives them an even number. 12 for all sport plus Army & Navy for fb only and Wichita St & whoever for non-fb. Personally, I would consider GCU, FGCU, Belmont, and Denver for the last spot.

9 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

It gives them an even number. 12 for all sport plus Army & Navy for fb only and Wichita St & whoever for non-fb. Personally, I would consider GCU, FGCU, Belmont, and Denver for the last spot.

GCU and Denver are a hard no.  The American commissioner Aresco has said any expansion would be within the current footprint.

Belmont is a good option, since they're in Nashville.  VCU has also been talked about in chatter online.

7 hours ago, TBGKon said:

GCU and Denver are a hard no.  The American commissioner Aresco has said any expansion would be within the current footprint.

Belmont is a good option, since they're in Nashville.  VCU has also been talked about in chatter online.

If GCU or Denver get targeted for anything it’d be the WCC’s BYU replacement. Or hell, just drag them in with Seattle to get to 12 as potential Gonzaga insurance.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Promotion & Relegation coming to the Mountain West + 2 Pac if the merger happens?

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/mountain-west-and-pac-2-reportedly-considering-promotionrelegation-partnership

I wouldn't be mad at it.  It would break off football from the rest of the sports (similar to how I believe NCAA hockey might be handled) and you have 10 conferences.  Pair up a Power 5 with a G5 and its might work.

Pac & Mountain West

SEC & Sun Belt

ACC & American
Big 12 & CUSA

Big 10 & MAC

35 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Promotion & Relegation coming to the Mountain West + 2 Pac if the merger happens?

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/mountain-west-and-pac-2-reportedly-considering-promotionrelegation-partnership

That's the stupidest idea ever (for college sports).  Why would any kid who's being recruited to various schools sign with a team in a league, when that team may not be in that same league the following season (and then could be back in it after that?)  Kids with choices may want to be in a league where they're showcased against a certain level of talent, so the school wouldn't be holding up their end of the bargain (it's a different situation as actual realignments, which are typically long-term deals and not fluid.)

Players should be allowed to bail if the team switches league due to this system.

The mid-season scheduling change thing is also stupid, since people make plans well in advance for road trips, and all of a sudden the schedule changes.  This just doesn't work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For the PAC and Mountain West, I don't mind, because they're both (soon to be) Group of 5 conferences. But not for any of the Power 4 Conferences. No way any school in these conferences is just going to willingly drop from one of the highest revenue-earning conferences in the country to one that is probably a glorified FCS conference.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 5:38 PM, McCall said:

I don't mind

You're not a scholarship athlete with pro aspirations. 

Or maybe you are - in which case, shouldn't you be at practice?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

You're not a scholarship athlete with pro aspirations. 

Or maybe you are - in which case, shouldn't you be at practice?

Way to completely take one small snippet of my comment out of context for your own misinformational purposes.🙄

Clearly I'm just speaking from a general fan's perspective on the initial proposal and not fully supporting it's implementation.

4 hours ago, McCall said:

Clearly I'm just speaking from a general fan's perspective on the initial proposal and not fully supporting it's implementatio

It wasn't clear, but I'll agree with you that as a fan, it's fun to think about.  And much like the WC in baseball gives more people a reason to care deeper into the season, the potential of relegation could do the same for fans that would otherwise have no reason to stay invested that long.

I can't think of any scenario in which it's practical in North American sports, but yeah it's one of those fun "what if" kinds of things.

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It wasn't clear, but I'll agree with you that as a fan, it's fun to think about.  And much like the WC in baseball gives more people a reason to care deeper into the season, the potential of relegation could do the same for fans that would otherwise have no reason to stay invested that long.

I can't think of any scenario in which it's practical in North American sports, but yeah it's one of those fun "what if" kinds of things.

It could theoretically work if, instead of having two geographical divisions as they do now (or no divisions as most are going to) , conferences would have maybe a top division and a bottom division. They'd still be in the conference and compete in FBS, but only the teams in the top division would be eligible for the conference championship and subsequent CFP. This would mean instead of a team going from worst to first, they'd have to go from worst to first in the bottom division to qualify for the top division next season, where they could then compete for the conference championship. That's the only way I could see something like this working. Not advocating for it, just objectively looking at scenarios. Scientific research, if you will. Future scheduling would make it difficult, though, if your conference schedule is determined by where you finish the prior season.

9 minutes ago, McCall said:

It could theoretically work if, instead of having two geographical divisions as they do now (or no divisions as most are going to) , conferences would have maybe a top division and a bottom division. They'd still be in the conference and compete in FBS, but only the teams in the top division would be eligible for the conference championship and subsequent CFP. This would mean instead of a team going from worst to first, they'd have to go from worst to first in the bottom division to qualify for the top division next season, where they could then compete for the conference championship. That's the only way I could see something like this working. Not advocating for it, just objectively looking at scenarios. Scientific research, if you will. Future scheduling would make it difficult, though, if your conference schedule is determined by where you finish the prior season.

But it could only theoretically work if enough schools that are likely to finish in the lower division agree to it.

It's where I sit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 2:40 PM, TBGKon said:

Clemson may have found a way out, which means FSU may not be far behind.

There were articles (or at least rumors) around this time that October 10th was gong to be the big day.

*Checks calendar*

That date seems to have come and gone.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 2 weeks later...

Merrimack and Sacred Heart are joining the MAAC next season.

Staying close to the conference's roots by adding two more Catholic colleges...and the little town of Fairfield, Connecticut's big rivalry is now a conference battle.

Only questions are, where do they go for football and who is the NEC gonna pick up to make up for losing them?

bYhYmxh.png

But the other question would be: What if the NEC somehow doesn't choose to expand, and later somehow loses another member to the MAAC (to give that conference as its 14th member school)? Would the rest of the remaining members might move to the America East?

On a sidenote, I'm surprised that Albany hasn't yet 'moved up' to the CAA, like Stony Brook did a year ago.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!