Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

So, merging with the MW to up the PAC to  to 15 and keeping it on par with the other Power conferences with 15-18 teams per while maintaining at least some stability isn’t relevant?

You have a few false assumptions in there.

Merging with the Mountain West DOESN'T keep it on par with the Power conferences (only in number of schools).

Also, 'some stability' is a misnomer when you lose 8 of 12 teams. Keeping the other 4 together is as stable as saying that the 4 who left for the B1G or Big 12 are instances of stability.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Indeed. The PAC 12/4 is just the post-Miami/Syracuse/BC Big East. A once-proud conference destroyed for football matters.

By the way - The Big East is an example of what to do for non football conferences. It went back to its basketball roots(along with other non-revenue sports) and doesn't concern itself with football.

It's where I sit.

Power Conference status is not determined by number of teams, but rather the status of all, or at least the majority of, the teams in the conference. Stanford/Cal plus San Diego State are not to make the Mountain West a power conference. And neither would simply calling that conference the Pac-#. Even adding schools like Memphis, Tulane and SMU wouldn't be enough. These are schools that could get INTO a power conference, but they're not enough to make a conference one. Case in point, they're all in the American and, yet, it's not a power conference.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You have a few false assumptions in there.

Merging with the Mountain West DOESN'T keep it on par with the Power conferences (only in number of schools).

Also, 'some stability' is a misnomer when you lose 8 of 12 teams. Keeping the other 4 together is as stable as saying that the 4 who left for the B1G or Big 12 are instances of stability.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

By the way - The Big East is an example of what to do for non football conferences. It went back to its basketball roots(along with other non-revenue sports) and doesn't concern itself with football.

The Big East reinvented itself because it had to; it was that or die. They were lucky to pull in some historically adjacent schools (DePaul, Marquette) and some programs on the rise (Creighton, Nova, Xavier).

The PAC doesn't really have those options, especially since its best basketball programs are out the door, and I don't know how they build back up basketball, baseball, softball, track or volleyball after losing the California schools and Oregon. It's really :censored:ty such a historically great conference just died overnight.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Big East reinvented itself because it had to; it was that or die. They were lucky to pull in some historically adjacent schools (DePaul, Marquette) and some programs on the rise (Creighton, Nova, Xavier).

Wasn't Villanova always in the Big East, just not for football?  Same with Georgetown and a few of their other core basketball schools.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The PAC doesn't really have those options, especially since its best basketball programs are out the door, and I don't know how they build back up basketball, baseball, softball, track or volleyball after losing the California schools and Oregon. It's really :censored:ty such a historically great conference just died overnight.

Villanova joined the original Big East in 1980.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Pacific Coast teams are about to be in the Atlantic Coast Conference because why not 

Because, Louisville and Notre Dame are located on the Atlantic Coast so why not?

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, SeaTac said:

Hey at least the Rose Bowl will be full for UCLA games.....with Big Ten fans 🙄

And (insert Big Ten team on a long Rose Bowl drought) will be able to finally play there.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

10 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

A simple rebrand to American Coast Conference and it all makes “sense”!

We have an 18 team Big 10 and a 16 team Big 12 and we're worried about the accuracy of geography?  I'd think that basic counting would be the higher priority.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When I first started paying attention to football, the Arizona Cardinals were in the NFC East and the Carolina Panthers were in the NFC West.

Sometimes those divisional quirks are fun.

To me it's the greed I don't like about NCAA football alignment; not the nomenclature or geography.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

When I first started paying attention to football, the Arizona Cardinals were in the NFC East and the Carolina Panthers were in the NFC West.

Sometimes those divisional quirks are fun.

To me it's the greed I don't like about NCAA football alignment; not the nomenclature or geography.

The greed has always been there, though. In the past, the greed was 'only' the university taking in al the money and the 'student athlete' getting nothing. Now, the university is out to make as much as it can to overpay coaches. This isn't new.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Pacific Coast teams are about to be in the Atlantic Coast Conference because why not 

It’ll be like the ECHL being changed from an acronym to not actually standing for anything.

VmWIn6B.png

Yeah, I was expecting Cal and Stanford to get at least some interest due to their academic prestige and Bay Area market, although I'm still doubtful the ACC would see any monetary benefit from adding them (which is what all this is really about). As for Oregon State and Washington State, it seems they have no other options but the Mountain West. They'll join the fairly short list of schools that used to be in a power conference and no longer are: UConn, USF, Tulane, Rice, and SMU are the others as far as I'm aware.

Edit: Also Sewanee, Chicago, Idaho, and Montana, but those were all prior to WW2.

ExJworW.png

6 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

4 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

A simple rebrand to American Coast Conference and it all makes “sense”!

Not like the ACC can rename itself the Coast to Coast Conference since that name is already taken.