Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

1 hour ago, SeaTac said:

Oregon State & San Diego State to the Big 12 could be the next shoe to drop. Keep an eye on it. 

I believe Big 12 said they were done. What Im hearing now however is Cal and Stanford to the ACC but now emerging for the ACC is SMU, who was rumored to be one of the replacement teams in the PAC 12

Signature intentionally left blank

7 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I believe Big 12 said they were done. What Im hearing now however is Cal and Stanford to the ACC but now emerging for the ACC is SMU, who was rumored to be one of the replacement teams in the PAC 12

Pete Thamel has since come out and said all of these moves are unlikely now.

A bit off-topic from the P5, I mean soon-to-be P3, FBS chaos; Bryant football (currently in the Big South for that sport) will move to the CAA, to give that conference on that sport an even membership amount of 16

https://caasports.com/news/2023/8/9/caa-football-welcomes-bryant-university-as-its-newest-member-in-2024.aspx

Bryant will still compete for other sports in the NFB-based America East Conference (after spending about 14 seasons in the NEC since joining D-I from D-II).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

1 hour ago, jlog3000 said:

A bit off-topic from the P5, I mean soon-to-be P3, FBS chaos; Bryant football (currently in the Big South for that sport) will move to the CAA, to give that conference on that sport an even membership amount of 16

https://caasports.com/news/2023/8/9/caa-football-welcomes-bryant-university-as-its-newest-member-in-2024.aspx

Bryant will still compete for other sports in the NFB-based America East Conference (after spending about 14 seasons in the NEC since joining D-I from D-II).

Already mentioned it.

I think at this point, the CAA needs to go to two divisions and have each division winner earn an automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs.

The divisions? Well, that's simple...

New England Division - Albany, Bryant, Maine, Monmouth, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Stony Brook and Villanova

Mid-Atlantic Division - Campbell, Delaware, Elon, Hampton, North Carolina A&T, Richmond, Towson and William & Mary

Then I guess I missed that one out. But what would the Big South do f the OVC somehow gets its full members like the adequate amount of schools sponsoring the sport (the minimum is 7 or 8). Although currently the Big South schools are in a 'partnership' with those from the OVC, due to both conferences lacking that pre-requiste of member schools with full membership (including football) to sponsor the sport on their own expenses (i.e.: look how it worked out and then being torn apart by the WAC and the A-Sun). Would those in the Big South become affiliates for football?

10 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

New England Division - Albany, Bryant, Maine, Monmouth, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Stony Brook and Villanova

Mid-Atlantic Division - Campbell, Delaware, Elon, Hampton, North Carolina A&T, Richmond, Towson and William & Mary

Those divisions would make total sense to me, not gonna lie.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Already mentioned it.

I think at this point, the CAA needs to go to two divisions and have each division winner earn an automatic bid to the FCS Playoffs.

Halftime would be fun for those two games

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Already mentioned it.

I didn't even realize this was Villanova's conference, but you're not splitting up Villanova and Delaware.  Not like they're Ohio State and Michigan, but there's a rivalry and lots of grads of each in the same area.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I didn't even realize this was Villanova's conference, but you're not splitting up Villanova and Delaware.  Not like they're Ohio State and Michigan, but there's a rivalry and lots of grads of each in the same area.

You could have said that about UW and WSU and Oregon and Oregon State. Or Syracuse and Georgetown before that.

It really just doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Well, this is a example of what they should do... my idea also includes an eight game conference schedule where there is one protected crossover game. Villanova and Delaware would be a protected crossover game.

This could also lead to another scenario that sees America East starting up football. Four of their schools (Albany, Bryant, Maine and New Hampshire) are in the proposed New England Division. All they would need to do in order to start football is to add in Rhode Island and Villanova (you might want to throw in Robert Morris as well for this since the Big South is all but done for football wise)

As for Stony Brook and Delaware, they would join their CAA brethren in a ten team conference.

So, it ends up like this:

America East - Albany, Bryant, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Villanova

Coastal Athletic Association - Campbell, Delaware, Elon, Hampton, Monmouth, North Carolina A&T, Richmond, Stony Brook, Towson, William and Mary

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You could have said that about UW and WSU and Oregon and Oregon State. Or Syracuse and Georgetown before that.

It really just doesn't matter.

Except those were real things driven by real money and contracts and lawyers.  The one I commented on was just some message-board guy's musing that can be undone with an eraser or backspace key (or left alone, because it doesn't matter.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."