NBA Uniforms Project

Hoopskid

NBA Uniforms Project - Documenting NBA uniforms throughout History.

This is the first team in this project which is fully completed. As I finished the other teams I will post them as well.

The reason I am posting them here is not only for everyone to see them, but also for help.

The images are far from perfect, which is why I am hoping the knowledgable members of this community can assist me by bringing to light any mistakes and hopefully sharing solutions as well.

Basically I need help in making sure the fonts, years, numbers, wordmarks, colors, logos are all accurate. The goal of this project is to ultimately have every NBA uniform nicely documented.

Thanks!

Atlanta Hawks: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuLoUdW

Boston Celtics: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuzR3Gr

Charlotte Hornets: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjuDkCWe

Washington Bullets:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, simply put, is cool.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You need to redraw the Kansas-style numbers on the '75 set. The 5 is much bolder than the others, and the holes in the 6 and 9 are off-center. They might have that style in a Nike catalog.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

You need to redraw the Kansas-style numbers on the '75 set. The 5 is much bolder than the others, and the holes in the 6 and 9 are off-center. They might have that style in a Nike catalog.

Yeah, that font is extremely weird, I wasn`t able to find a very good match so I ended up drawing it myself. It looks like Kansas`s but it`s really not.

Like I said they`re not perfect, I`ll check out some Nike Catalogs hopefully they have something closer. Thanks

Great work. I just started doing this with the NFL, actually. The only thing I might suggest is instead of a back view of the shorts, maybe a rear 3/4 view would be better, for showing both a better side detail and shorts wordmark that some teams have started to incorporate in one view, similar to how I've set up my football template. What's your process of doing your research?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Fantastic work. The wordmark and front numbers on the '82-'92 set should be a little larger (I'm guessing you went off the Hardwood Classics logosheet, 'cause that has the same error), but other than that I think it's pretty much dead on.

Are you just covering current teams? I noticed there were no St. Louis-era uniforms. Either way, I'd like to help out any way I can. A comprehensive NBA uniform database has long been a dream of mine.

Thanks guys...

The only thing I might suggest is instead of a back view of the shorts, maybe a rear 3/4 view would be better, for showing both a better side detail and shorts wordmark that some teams have started to incorporate in one view, similar to how I've set up my football template. What's your process of doing your research?

I agree, but honestly I've made upwards of 300 of these so I'm not changing the template now :P However, I usually show the logo/script found on the shorts on the side so that you can still get a good look at it.

What exactly do you mean by process? Basically it starts with looking at a bunch of pictures, finding images of jerseys, creating the vectors for logos/wordmark, finding fonts and then putting it all together.

Are you just covering current teams?

No, I'm trying to cover everything. Each team will be grouped by team name... so Atlanta Hawks will be different from St. Louis Hawks even though it's the same franchise. I've started researching older Hawks (St. Louis, Milwaukee, Tri-Cities) but exact years are tough to find.

Again, I'll be writing down any errors you guys find and will address them when we feel that as a community that they're an accurate (enough) representation. :)

Great work... '82 set is killin' em!!!

Yeah, definetly one of the more unique NBA looks, my guess would be Atlanta's next uniforms will be based off of them.

***Something I forgot to mention: All uniforms will go upto 2010. I'm assuming that due to the revolutionary change in material that every uniform in the NBA is somehow different from 2010 on. I do have a REV 30 mesh template in the new uniforms, but for now I'll only be posting from their established dates to 2010.

Whoa groovy.

Totally interested to see how this goes cause I've been kicking around something similar. I remember you hitting up Uniwatch at some point too?

300 already is insane. I just did the Bulls, Sonics, Celtics, Lakers & Bullets before I started seeing crosseyed. :blink:

I just did the Bulls, Sonics, Celtics, Lakers & Bullets before I started seeing crosseyed.

I've done most of those teams (Fully done Lakers, Celtics, Sonics) and wouldn't mind comparing my sheets with yours if you're interested?

I've done most of those teams (Fully done Lakers, Celtics, Sonics) and wouldn't mind comparing my sheets with yours if you're interested?

Sweet. Yea doing the research wasn't the killer*, but settling on the motif/layout or whatever of the template before mass producing the madness is.

lakers.jpg

I'm vacillating between an austere museum gallery thing or a wacky 1981 topps thinggy.... "Collect all your favorite jersey designs!"

CARD.jpg

*well no, it was. HWC's lakers stuff is sooo off its hilariously bad. i started them all from scratch.

I just meant, like, what websites do you use for old basketball photos, or do you use books more?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Primarily I use getty images, auction sites, nba occasionally, ebay, sportslogos sometimes and other logo sites, anything online really not books as much.

*Boston Celtics are up

Your player lettering for the Celtics is incorrect. It's very nitpicky (I know), but the style that you're using has only been used since adidas started making the jerseys. The extra tall bowl on the P and R are dead giveaways.

The actual lettering is closer to the MLB standard block lettering, with a pointed A.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wow...this seems cool

Looking at the uniforms for the 1st time, they look awesome, and from what I can tell there are only minor mistakes:

From Chris Creamer's site, the font looks different on the 1968-70 Home and Away; it looks taller and more spaced

On the 70-72 Home, the line looks thinner at the bottom of the pants, and the line comming up the far left looks also thinner, likewise on the away and alternate.

I have never seen the 1975 home, but I would trust you on that one...

There seems to be no yellow on the 1976-9 jerseys like on Chris Creamer...but I wouldn't know for a fact they had yellow...

But otherwise I applud you on a job very very well done....

I would love to see this continued.

http://whosbestnbateam.blogspot.com/

On the hill we view the silence of the valley, Called to witness cycles only of the past, And we reach all this with movements in between the said remark

Close to the edge, down by the river, Down at the end, round by the corner

Seasons will pass you by, Now that it's all over and done, called to the seed, right to the sun, Now that you find now that you're whole

Seasons will pass you by, I get up, I get down -Yes

The actual lettering is closer to the MLB standard block lettering, with a pointed A.

Nitpicky is what I need, I'll jot that down and make the appropriate changes thanks!

Math2: Thanks, yeah Chris Creamer's site also had someone make the jerseys so they're not 100% accurate. I'm trying to base mine off images of players in game, not on graphics that have already been made for the most part.

The 1975 one was used for only one season that's probably why.

The 1976 set did not have yellow, just the 2 red and white.

I'll see if I can re size the lines, although I didn't focus too much on making the shorts proportional to the jersey and I didn't make exact measurements of the lines but I'll work on making it look consistent.

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming. Anything you notice, especially if I'm missing a set of uniforms please let me know.

Archived