Now presenting the MLBA: Minor League Basketball Association

MDC

Last week, I posted a random Ghosts logo I made. I hinted about the possibility of posting a series I have been working on. I love the minor league, fun side of baseball and I feel this mindset could be applied to other sports. The MLBA consists of 16 teams, affiliated to current NBA teams. I put teams in the larger metropolitan areas that don't have an NBA team. I am still working on team names and I would appreciate some suggestions. Now I really hope this doesn't turn into a rolling list of suggestions from members with 60 posts. That seems to happen a lot, I have no idea why. So just give me a few suggestions, dont go bananas.

The league logo is modeled after Ray Allen and his beautiful shooting form. I couldn't think of a better icon to depict in the logo. Here it is:

MLBAsmall.png

As I said, I am working on team names. This is what I have so far:

WEST:

Boise Riders

Honolulu Palms

Kansas City ???

Las Vegas Rollers

Omaha Renegades

San Diego ???

Seattle Emeralds

St. Louis ???

EAST:

Baltimore ???

Buffalo Battalion

Columbus Ghosts

Jacksonville ???

Louisville Redbirds

Nashville Bandits

Pittsburgh Guardians

Tampa Bay ???

Let me know what you think of the logo, team names, and idea in general. I will post a team in the coming days. I have 3 done. I'm thinking Louisville will be up first

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Kansas City Kicks

San Diego Demons

Baltimore Bombers

Jacksonville Hammerheads

I think the logo looks fine. I dont see much wrong with the feet, as lightning25 said. Maybe if I stare at this for 3 minutes I could find something wrong but it's just a silhouette.

I used the name Jacksonville Hammerheads in my concept league as well, but you can use it if you want, not that you were asking for permission. I've used some of the same names as GeoTheo's basketball league too unintentionally.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with as a basketball fan!

WEST:

Kansas City ??? - Explorers

San Diego ??? - Surf

St. Louis ??? - Archers

EAST:

Baltimore ??? - Charmers

Jacksonville ??? - Rivermen

Tampa Bay ??? - Spirits

Tried my best to get names that'd fit each city's history or culture in someway (aside from ARchers which is mostly for the sake of misguided cleverness).

8VvwoNps.png

My favorite name for a San Diego team would be the San Diego Admirals. It goes well with the city and sounds cool.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Team 1: Louisville Redbirds.

Not much to explain here, check it out!

louisvilleredbirdsfinal.png

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

I like the concept, but you need to add the wing-effect on the L of the "Louisville" wordmark and reduce the size of that wordmark ever so slightly, so it will fit on the jersey. The logo and the uniform style is nice, so nothing to complain about there. Nice job.

The logo works despite its very basic and jagged style. The beak might look better if it was closed and came to one point maybe with a slight scowl. The wordmark doesnt seem to match the logo in my opinion. The logo is made sharp angles and the wordmark is curvy. A more sharp wordmark would look better to me, but its up to you. I'll be interested in following this series to see what else you come up with.

• 2 years later...

If anyone can get in touch with the original author, the Central Basketball Developmental League at https://www.facebook.com/CentralBasketballLeague is now using his MLBA logo as their official logo. The league used to be known as the Central Basketball League until they received a cease and desist letter on Monday and had to change their name and logo.

Here is their "new" logo:

10173618_844676668880566_1459699977_n.pn

If anyone can get in touch with the original author, the Central Basketball Developmental League at https://www.facebook.com/CentralBasketballLeague is now using his MLBA logo as their official logo. The league used to be known as the Central Basketball League until they received a cease and desist letter on Monday and had to change their name and logo.

Here is their "new" logo:

10173618_844676668880566_1459699977_n.pn

What the hell...it's been almost three years since I posted this, how did these guys find this? I'm gonna talk to them and get this sorted out. Crazy

Edit: They totally butchered the logo haha

sigpurp.png

Archived