The Ivy League Redesign

mattwillcox

As a joint effort chrisCLEMENT and I will be redesigning the football identities of The Ivy League. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to do any concept work so I’m really excited to be working with Chris on this project and sharing it with this community.

The teams of the Ivy League were once at the forefront of college football, but of course that’s no longer true. Chris and I wanted to see what each of these teams might look like if this were still the case and these schools received just as much attention from uniform manufacturers as schools like Oregon and Ohio State do. We’ll be designing all of the uniforms using Nike’s Mach Speed template which was released with Oregon’s newest uniforms. The idea is to make these designs modern while still maintaining the tradition that these programs and schools have.

5QOfAta.png

We’re going to be posting these concepts in a different way than usual. Everything as far as the uniforms and logos are going to be posted on http://cargocollective.com/ivyleagueredesign so that it’s a fair bit easier to view the concepts. The first two teams, Princeton and Cornell are posted already so you can head over there and check them out. Chris and I will be posting one team each at a time and we’ll make sure to post here with some background on our designs. I’ll be updating the above graphic as each team is posted as well. Feel free to leave your comments or critiques in this thread!

So my first design is for the Princeton Tigers. Princeton football has always had a strong visual element to their identity in the striped sleeves. I tried to combine that with the chevron from the university crest to create a unique sleeve design. The other main portion of the university crest, the book, is embroidered on the inside of the collar. As well I couldn’t do away with the winged helmet design that originated with Princeton football. I decided to take a modern approach to the design however. Of course because I haven’t been able to work on any logos since I started school in September I had to give Princeton an updated tiger head logo as well as a custom number font.

Chris will be posting a similar spiel about Cornell when he gets the chance. So head on over to website to check everything out if you haven’t already and let us know what you think.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Princeton: good design, but the Ivy League symbol is cluttering it a bit. Move that to the back of the shirt, on the collar (like MLB does). And keep the Ivy symbol green with a silver outline. Cornell: interesting, innovative look with the horizontal stripe, but move up the swoosh above the horizontal striping. As for the Ivy symbol, move it to the back collar and keep it green with a silver outline. Good stuff, guys!

Thanks Matt for getting this up -- really excited to be working with such a fantastic designer on this project!

As already mentioned, I put together the set for the Cornell Big Red. My goal was to create a modernized classic -- so both the double stripe and C logo, which have been apart of Cornell football for decades, remained. While some may view this as 'boring' or 'simple', I see it as being progressive while being traditional. Keep the C&C coming gents!

@ingmar66: The swoosh is placed there by Nike, it can be seen in the photos for the release of the Alamo Bowl jerseys for Oregon. As for the movement of the Ivy patch, Matt and I both discussed the location as well as coloring, and we found it would be best to keep it simple and match each schools color scheme. While that decision is totally personal opinion by Matt and I, I appericate your comments.

Good job you guys didn't make the leaf look like a marijuana leaf, I've seen that before.

Pretty excited for this, you guys are 2 pretty good designers, plus this is a pretty original topic. I'll be following closely.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Great start. I like the modifications to the Princeton helmet as they are still recognizable yet different than Michigan and Delaware now. Nice font also. Is it custom?

Cornell is spectacular. I appreciate the "boring" look as it fits in perfectly with Cornell and their simple color scheme. The horizontal stripes are also a very unique but classy touch.

Well done.

gYH2mW9.png

These are all extremely well done and creative. The template is great and the designs are traditional but modern at the same time. Great job; can't wait to see the rest.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Good job you guys didn't make the leaf look like a marijuana leaf, I've seen that before.

This was easily the hardest part about designing that logo. I only came up with the version we used after 4 or 5 failed pot leaf attempts.

Great start. I like the modifications to the Princeton helmet as they are still recognizable yet different than Michigan and Delaware now. Nice font also. Is it custom?

Thanks! I was worried the helmet might not go over well seeing as it's such a classic design. The font is custom as well.

Thanks! I was worried the helmet might not go over well seeing as it's such a classic design. The font is custom as well.

I can see that. But I think it's subtle enough that it takes a second look to realize that it's changed some.

gYH2mW9.png

Awesome work guys, very clean. I'm sure many might classify these as "safe" in some cases, but that's the exact treatment the Ivy League should get (much like the B1G at the FBS level).

I'm digging the idea of presenting on Cargo too, gives me an idea for something else... :P

That template is nice. Princeton is outstanding, love that modern twist on the classic helmet. Cornell is alright, but I've never liked the idea of horizontal striping on football jerseys (besides on sleeves). Looking forward to Harvard.

Awesome work guys, very clean. I'm sure many might classify these as "safe" in some cases, but that's the exact treatment the Ivy League should get (much like the B1G at the FBS level).

I'm digging the idea of presenting on Cargo too, gives me an idea for something else... :P

Thanks Doug! I can't wait to see how you utilize cargo, always love your presentations.

I can't wait to see what you do for the big green! So far, the concepts are great.

Dartmouth is my next team up, should be posted soon.

Archived